close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

S&W's Shield

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by blueiron, May 9, 2012.

1. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    What is prevailing professional opinion on the Shield? I am rather curious about one in 9mm. I am not a huge fan of the Glock 26 [too bulky] and I own a H&K P2000Sk in .40 [too expensive for a new 9mm model].

Thanks for your user feedback.

2. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Feb 21, 2009
    Haven't held it in my hand yet, but definitely looks like it has promise. If Glock doesn't come out with a single stack at the next Shot Show, I will end up picking up a shield.

Found this to be a good review....He does a good job with his youtube channel, very informative and professional reviews.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afJ16huA8wA"]S&W Shield Review - YouTube[/ame]

3. DoogieHowser

DoogieHowser Eh

Jul 27, 2005
    VA, USA
    I've heard nothing but good, haven't got one in my hands but from all that I can see it's a micro-sized M&P so unless something is extremely different I don't see how it would function any less than a standard. We run the standard sized .40s and love em.

4. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

Jun 11, 2005
    D/FW, TX
    Everbody I know either wants one (including myself), or has one. Most are using it in an off duty carry role, usually at the expense of carrying the G19/G23, or similar Sig platforms. I don't personally know of any LEOs replacing their G26/G27s for one yet, but I can see this happening more in the civilian market.

For police applications, I think it will come down to 2 things: 1. How fast will they get added to an 'approved list', & 2. What specific role will it fill? For EX: Dimensionally, it may fit the bill for a BUG/vest gun vs. a G26/G27 for some Officers, but losing magazine compatability, even w/a standard M&P platform might give some pause. Only time will tell. In the meantime, stop buying them so 1 will be left at the shops for me!

5. BSA70

BSA70

Aug 14, 2007
    NC
    My shift partner carries one as a BUG. He just qual last week with it. I have shot it. It's awesome and very easy to handle. Fits real good in the hand. It is thin. The foot print is about the same as a glock subcompact but much thinner. He purchase the .9mm version.

I would look at that or XD slim .45 spring field armory. I have only seen the xd in ads but it looks awesome.

I would love to go with a new gun but I have too much invested in my g33 and it works really well. I have qual with the g33 for 5 years with out a single jam!!!

BSA

6. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    Ditto. Very scarce in my area. Only shop that's been getting them has a waiting list.

7. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    I just read about it, and became interested. I have a G27, and carried it for BUG/off duty for a long time, but last year the bulk got to me, and I went back to my old M38.

Does it have any advantages over the Walther PPS?

8. DVeng

DVeng

Jan 16, 2007
    Midwest
    I handled one last night at a local sporting goods store and was impressed. They had a waiting list of 15 or so people between the 9mm and 40s. They were asking $430 for them. If they were in stock, I probably would have walked out with one.

It was more stubby in overall length than it looks in pictures. I may even be able to convince my wife to carry it or it may replace my G26 for everyday carry. I don't think it will replace my G26 for BUG.

DVeng

9. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    My question is on the guts. Is it built with the M&P action system, or the Bodyguard 380 action system. I suspect one dry-fire would answer the question. I'm not thrilled with the wimpy little safety on it, either.

10. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued, but due to several factors, I've been put off on the M&P series. Now, I've never fired one, but I've seen enough shot in recent times that I just don't trust them, personally. Still, this looks like an interesting idea for sure. Guess we'll see...

11. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    The S&W rep brought one along with the regular M&Ps we were scheduled to test. Everyone I talked to who shot liked it alot and we all gt a decent grip on it despite the grip being wet from rain. He also had a .40 version with him which we did not shoot.

12. Southswede

Southswede

Sep 29, 2005
    I got the first one in my area. S&W hit a grand slam home run with this gun.

13. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    Sharky7,

Thanks for the video link. It was pretty informative, but I do have a personal issue with taking recommendations from a guy who wears a tactical macrame bracelet. :whistling: :rofl:

I'll have to start looking for a Shield.

14. DoogieHowser

DoogieHowser Eh

Jul 27, 2005
    VA, USA
    What in particular are those problems? I've yet to see any issues with ours other than a cosmetic problem with one run.

15. Tango 1Zero

Tango 1Zero Millennium Member

Nov 8, 1999
    OH
    I probably will get one in the future. So far I havent heard anything bad about the M&P line.

16. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    Every one I saw in the academy would develop an issue where the mag would drop after 2 or 3 shots. Happened to everyone who shot it, and with every gun. I also heard a few Detroit officers had the same problem. Might have been nothing more than a bad run, but really put me off them. I hope they've got it straightened out, it looks to be a good gun besides that.

17. IrishSheepdog54

IrishSheepdog54

Dec 11, 2011
    Chicago
    I love my G26, but in summer months I have difficult concealing it. I'm 509 and 155 with a slim build. I'm looking for something more concealable that matches the quality I find in the G26.

Been considering an air weight SW revolver, but not so sure. I like carrying a semi auto with an extra magazine or two in my pocket.

I'll take a look at this gun... Might fit what I'm looking for.

18. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I handled one and thought it would make a decent ankle/vest for work and also be nice as a off-duty gun.

I wont be replacing my jframe though. I tried a G26 for a while and went back to the jframe. For some reason when I think BUG for work I think snub revolver.

19. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    I've never seen that happen, but don't doubt that it's possible. When did you see this? I know that there was a lot of work put in to "fine-tuning" the production guns around early 2006. Our police academy had one and I remember S&W sent an entire new slide assembly (barrel and everything) one day.

I bought my M&Ps (9mm and .45) in late 2007 (I think) and have been supremely pleased with them. Outstanding ergonomics. The trigger probably takes 300-500 rounds to really come to you on a new gun, but I really do love the things.

20. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    This would have been the last half of 2010. What really bugged me about it was that it happened to every single gun in the class. I mean, 1 okay - it's a fluke. 2 - an anomoly. But there was I want to say 5 or 6 guns, and every single one of them did the exact same thing. It was downright scary.

That is not to say S&Ws are junk or anything. Another guy had a brand new Sig P226 that came from the facrtory with a slightly bent guide rail, which inhibited functioning maybe 20% of the time. These things happen, but it just left a bad taste in my mouth, and now it's visceral, you know? I can't seperate the gun in front of me from those I saw that had problems bearing the same logo.