close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

S&w mp15 sport review

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Kona dawg, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Kona dawg

Kona dawg

Dec 31, 2011
    I bought this gun because of all the great reviews. It has locked up ( i guess out of time) 3 times on me. At 100 yds with a nikon 3x9x40 scope i am lucky to get them in a paper plate. That is in a lead sled too. I am not a great shot but with remington vtr and same scope I can tear holes. I realize it is not going to be as accurate as a bolt but I was expecting alot better grouping than this. Any thoughts?

2. G30Mike

G30Mike Say When!

Nov 19, 2008
    St. Joseph MO
    Cheap gun, cheap results. Id get ahold of S&W to have them make it right. Those things carry a lifetime warranty IIRC.

3. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio
    You say it locked up on you. Did you get an extracting case caught in the receiver?

When you were shooting, was it from a bench on sand bags or were you sitting, standing or in the prone position?

What was your group size or was it all over the place?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  4. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    Questions...

What type of malfunction was the "lock up"? Was it a failure to feed? Failure to eject? Double feed?

What was the ammo you were using?

Did you try to shoot at closer ranges first before going out to 100yds? If you did, what were the results?

Is this your first AR platform? I'm assuming that the rifle was cleaned & lubed prior to the range session. Is this the first time shooting a stock AR combat trigger?

I don't know what else. S&W has a lifetime warranty. If everything else doesn't pan out, send it back for diagnostic & warranty repair.

5. Kona dawg

Kona dawg

Dec 31, 2011
    55 grain cheap remington ammo. Like i said i wasnt expecting much

Shooting from lead sled bench

Pulled trigger on live round and did not shoot. Bolt would not pull back. Called s&w they said hold bolt and hit gun with rubber mallot to free. I ended up just jerking it out.

Oiled and greased prior

6. Kona dawg

Kona dawg

Dec 31, 2011
    No consistency. All over

50 yds was probably 6 inch groups. Erratic but nothing like 100

Friend shot with results same as mine

7. cyphertext

cyphertext

Jan 6, 2004
    Dallas
    Have you modified the rifle in any way? I saw a previous post where you were wanting to change out the front sight post. Did you change the front sight to a flat gas block?

Also, are your rings, mounts, and risers all tight? Make sure everything is screwed down tight, or that can cause inconsistent shot placement.

8. Kona dawg

Kona dawg

Dec 31, 2011
  9. Kona dawg

Kona dawg

Dec 31, 2011
  10. cyphertext

cyphertext

Jan 6, 2004
    Dallas
    If it is inconsistent with both irons and the scope, it sounds like it needs to go back to S&W. They will take care of you.

11. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
  12. Kona dawg

Kona dawg

Dec 31, 2011
    Thanks for the links. What kind of grouping should I expect at 100 yds with the sport?

13. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    Kona,

I haven't been able to shoot 100yds (confirmed) yet. Too cold up my way to run up to neighboring Wisconsin's outdoor ranges.

A 15-Sport owner shot his 100yds in this thread:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p15-rifle/233530-i-had-45-minutes-go-shoot.html

He posts that he recently had knee surgery, trying to shoot standing, 12 mph wind, iron sights. He was able to keep within a 12" circle.

If he could do this with his 15-Sport in his condition, then there has got to be a manufacturing/assembly defect plaguing yours.

14. cyphertext

cyphertext

Jan 6, 2004
    Dallas
    He doesn't show himself actually shooting, so take it with a grain of salt...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q98gyJ5k4_Y"]M&P15 Sport Accuracy & Review - YouTube[/ame]

I think anything less that 4" group is unacceptable, and I would expect better. My SKS shoots better than what you are reporting with your Sport.

15. Disregarded9-side

Disregarded9-side Armchair IPSCer

Oct 18, 2008
    North Carolina
    Sounds out of spec. Send it back, and don't feel bad about asking for some free stuff for your time.

From a Leadsled any AR-15 should do much better than that. I've been shooting with a couple cheaper/lower quality rifles and done much, much better than what you're describing.

Not trying to troll, but this is just dumb. The S&W is not a "cheap gun"; it's a quality made entry-level rifle. Thinking that it should be this much less accurate than a BCM 'just 'cause' is uninformed. The brand warring is kinda outta control (causing the failure of logic) at this point in the AR-15 world.

16. G30Mike

G30Mike Say When!

Nov 19, 2008
    St. Joseph MO
    No, I agree that it shouldn't be shooting the groups he's talking about, that's why I suggested ti send it to S&W and they'll make it right for him. One person said before that his SKS was more accurate than the rifle in question, and having had an SKS myself I couldn't agree more. ANY AR should be shooting better groups than an SKS. :D

17. fowler

fowler

May 27, 2004
    ohio
    Less than 2MOA at 100yds with my SW Sport. Great rifle 100% reliable. Money well spent. All the AR I need and nothing I don,t need.

18. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio

I wonder if the barrel is tightened down properly. I witnessed an M16 A2 shoot very inconsistently a couple years ago. It had a loose barrel.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  19. Contact

Contact

May 4, 2006
    Michigan
    I'm interested to see what the problem is. I have a few hundred trouble free rounds through mine. No issues whatsoever.

20. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Feb 27, 2007
    This would be my first thought of the cause of accuracy problems in an AR-15.

To the OP: make sure the rifle is unloaded then try the following...

Grab the barrel with one hand, and the upper receiver with the other and try to twist. If you have any movement at all, you have a loose barrel. Since you are not familiar with AR-15 rifles, either A) send it back to S&W (probably best solution for you) or B) Find someone with the tools to torque down a barrel nut and bring him a case of beer.

If that fails, with the rifle still unloaded, look at the flash hider and see if you can see anywhere that the bullets may be contacting it after leaving the barrel (this is pretty rare, but is a possibility). If this is the case, send it back to S&W.

In short, it probably needs a trip back to the factory. I'd just be curious to know what was wrong with it first.