close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

S&W model 22A-1 problem

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by tylerlayne, Jan 28, 2013.

1. tylerlayne

tylerlayne

Jan 20, 2013
    I purchased one of these .22 target pistols new in 2006. The pistol worked great up until about a year ago. At that time it started misfiring about 3 rounds out of a 10 round magazine. I tried a lot of different brands of ammo so I could rule out bad ammo as the culprit.It also started jamming on about one half of the misfires. I contacted Smith&Wesson and they sent me a shipping label to fed-ex the pistol to them and repair it under warranty. About 2 months later I got my pistol back and took it to the clubs range,loaded it and the first round misfired and jammed in the chamber. After removing the round I attempted to fire the rest of the 9 rounds in the magazine and had 3 misfires. I bought a new box of federal .22LR and the same thing happened with that magazine. I contacted Smith&Wesson again and the guy was very nice I dealt with and told me he would send me another label to fed-ex the gun back to them and said to send a note saying this was the second time I have sent it in for the same problem and told me to also send the magazines in so they could be checked. I did as he said and even sent several empty casing so they could see the firing pin is barely catching the rim of the rounds. The reason rounds were jamming in the chamber is because the firing pin is hitting so close to the edge its bending the side of the casing causing it to jamb. Once again I was without my pistol for almost 2 months. I finally got it back in the beginning of this month and it said they adjusted the slide to their specs.About a week ago took it to the range . It had 1 misfire in the first 10 rounds. Loaded up another 10 round magazine and had 3 misfires. Tried another 10 rounds and again 3 misfires. I came home and sent the guy I have been dealing with at S&W a email. This is how we have been contacting each other each time before. I told him the gun was not fixed and that they evidently did not test fire the pistol before they sent it back to me or they would see the problem still exist. This was over a week ago and I have heard nothing back from him. I really just want the problem repaired even If I have to pay to have it done. Its not much fun at the range with a misfiring, jamming pistol. I am at wits end with this and really do not know where to turn next. If anyone else has had a problem of this kind please let me know what you did to solve it.

2. I would contact S&W and ask them to send me a new firing pin and install it myself. Clean the plastic firing pin housing well when changing the pin and you know that someone has really worked on the problem.

Oiling the hammer axis cannot harm the performance.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013

3. ZombieJoe

ZombieJoe

May 7, 2012
    Great Laker
    Been there. :faint:

After mine had 2 trips to S&W I ended up up selling it to the owner of a small range. I got 3 free range trips, and 100 rounds of 9mm (he knew of the problems).

Best advice I can give is get rid of it to tinker and buy a Ruger!

4. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    If you dry fired the pistol a bunch and peened the chamber edge, it probably needs a new barrel. The peening would cause the sticking extraction too.

5. tylerlayne

tylerlayne

Jan 20, 2013
    Never dry fired the pistol or any of my guns. I heard along time ago it was bad to dry fire a gun.

6. Berto,

don't you have a chamber reamer? The peening is a quick fix. Chamber reamers belong in every good household!

7. That is rather evading the problem and taking a financial hit than finding the best solution.

My long distance guess is the firing pin and its plastic housing have a slight problem.

8. tylerlayne

tylerlayne

Jan 20, 2013
    Now S&W are ignoring my emails. I sent a copy monday of the email I first send them almost 2 weeks ago with a bump. Guess I am going to have to try the automated telephone way. That usually just sends you in circles. I am really disappointed in S&Ws warranty service. Its like they will give it 2 tries and then ignore you if it still is not repaired.

9. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    I have molly bolts to use as inserts for dry firing.:supergrin: