Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

S & w mod.15-2 question

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Club' started by ghr1142, Dec 24, 2011.

1. ghr1142

May 26, 2011
    Hello to all. I'm trying to find out how you can tell the differance between the standard barrel introduced in 1961 from the heavy barrel in 1964. I would guess it would be the outside diameter any help would be welcome

2. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    Outside diameter

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011

3. ArtCrafter

ArtCrafter ¤Hocker Mocker¤

Jul 14, 2008

In the case of the S&W Model 15 (a.k.a., Combat Masterpiece), outside diameter is only half the story, circa 1964. The rest concerns barrel length.

In 1964, S&W introduced the 2-inch "heavy" barrel in this model. Prior to that, the Model 15 was only catalogued with a 4-inch barrel.

In that sense, the longer barrel was "standard." It was also tapered, thus "lighter" (in appearance, at least).

I looked on GunBroker for examples with decent photos and found those listed/linked below. (Note that, while the 'dash numbers' differ, the barrel profiles are the same as those you would see on a Model 15-2.)

• S&W Model 15-3: 2-inch Heavy Barrel

• S&W Model 15-4: 4-inch Standard/Tapered Barrel

On a related note, the 2-inch Model 15 was 'developed from' the Model 56, which in turn was a US Air Force contract gun.

HTH :wavey: