close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

S&w m&p 40?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by 1SGMP, Jun 1, 2011.

1. 1SGMP

1SGMP

Dec 29, 2008
    Boston,Mass
    Any depts out there switching their duty weapon the the S&W M&P? If so I just wanted your take on the transition and how your dept has adaptede to this weapon so far. we are currently issued the Sig 226/229 DAK in 40
    thanks
    1SG

2. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    KY Fish and Wildlife's Conservation Officers switched to it a little while back from older S&W autos; I forget what model they carried.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

3. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    TX
    We're about to get issued them. I don't know how they're going to go about it. I guess they'll just call us out to the range, in groups, put us through an 8 hour course, have us qualify, and then send us out to fight evil. :dunno:

4. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Dec 31, 2000
    AZ
    I carried a 226DAK in .357SIG for a few years. Still have it and will never part with it. That said, I have heard far more good things than bad about the M&P series. So much so that I considered adding one to my collection if I wander across the cash.

5. Jayman

Jayman Big Dummy

Nov 3, 2002
    Chantilly, VA
    I'd love to hear more from a department level instructor or armorer. I know Prince George's County, MD, did it a while back. The officers seem OK with it, but that is just anecdotal, don't have any firm info from higher ups.

6. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Dec 31, 2000
    AZ
    8 hours? Feel lucky you got that much. :rofl:

7. merlynusn

merlynusn

Nov 16, 2007
    NC
    Our department issues them. When they switched, they tested it with something like 30,000 rounds to see if it held up. No issues that I'm aware of. I'm not aware of any major issues with our M&Ps.

8. Give a call to the Edmonds (WA) PD. They were one of the first in the nation to transition from three issued guns (one of them a Sig) to all with the M&P .40. They will give you all the details. Overall, they have been satisfied with the transition.

9. A couple of partners of mine carry them. I shot one of theirs. Made the hi-point trigger seem like a dream.

10. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    The triggers really do shoot in, and smooth up. I have grown accustomed to the distinct reset the Glocks and Sigs have, so the standard M&P trigger isn't very exciting.

The M&P Pro series has a tool steel sear, and the trigger is pretty decent for a duty pistol out of the box. I almost bought one, but mistakenly bought a gen 4 G23 instead.

11. We like 'em at NCDOC. Very few issues transitioning from the crappy M65s to the M&P40s. Qual scores increased also. Of course, we still have a few rocket scientists who refer to their trusty M&P40 as a 'revolvah'. :upeyes:

12. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    TX
    I'm probably being generous.... :dunno:

13. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    Detroit PD, and a few guys I know used them in the academy. Apparently, they had nothing but problems (the academy guns). Not sure why, but I know a TON of failure to go into batteries, some mag issues (apparently the catch would release halfway through a mag), and I guess they started stove piping on heavy ammo days. :dunno:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  14. We had some of that early on, especially the mag catch issues, but they seem to have worked the bugs out of them now. I'm thinking seriously about buying one for personal use.

15. CW Mock

CW Mock

Feb 4, 2006
    Been carrying one for several years now, and its never had any problems. My experience seems to be the common one in my agency. We switched about the same time the New Mexico State Police did. We went .40, they went .357 Sig.

Overall scores went up in my experience for the guys I train. We came from a 4006, and while a good pistol, it was heavy and not exactly "one size fits all" like the M&P is.

There are a lot worse guns to carry. Been good to us. My only complaint so far is that the parkerizing seems to be wearing thin on mine. No rust or anything, but its looking a bit more dark gray/silver than black on the metalwork. Oh, the finish and spare magazines are stupid expensive compared to some other brands.

16. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    TX
    I hear a lot of guys who say they've never had any problems with them, and I'm very happy for them. My department started making the cadets buy them for the academy about 4 years ago. They had a tons of problems with critical FTF. The slide stops were breaking, mag release problems, and a couple just locked up. S&W sent reps out to tue academy. The majority of the cadets got rid of them as soon as the graduated, because they didn't trust them.

When we were told that they were going to issue us all the gun, and we would have to carry it, I voiced my concerns. I was told that S&W had fixed those problems and made some design changes....

That still doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy. I had never been a huge fan of S&W autos before, I'm plain distrustful now. IMHO, I think they rushed the gun into service, and they used us a beta testers. I don't appreciate that.

I also don't understand why S&W gets a pass, when other manufacturers would have dragged through the mud for doing the same thing.

17. Ducowti

Ducowti

Jan 11, 2009
    NY
    >>> Confirmed single-incident issue: slide lock broke on my colleague's M&P 40 recently, no idea how. Has never been dropped and the deputy is easy on his weapons, other than shooting a lot.

That said, I shoot my duty and BUG/OD weekly (full size and 40c, respectively) and have had no problems and really like the weapons. The only issue of which I'm aware on any scale is the grip tool being force-twisted back into the grip the wrong way, which bends the plastic locking tab.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  18. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Our academy had one for T&E in early 2006, the first one that I had seen in the flesh. One day Smith and Wesson just sent them a new slide with instructions to swap it and return the old one. I can't remember now what the differences were, but they were minute. The overall impression was that S&W was doing everything they could to make the gun succeed. The 3rd gen autos obviously were past their time and the Sigma was a total flop as an LE gun. Given what I have seen over the last five years now, I would say that the M&P is overall a success.

Iowa State Patrol began adopting them in late 2006 and currently have about four hundred of them out there (maybe more like 350 since they can't hire anybody and have 1960s and 1970s staff levels) and I have heard of no significant problems. The university police in our county have them as well and have since 2008. They have an authorized strength of 44, but run through people so quickly that they have probably been through thirty officers since then, so some of those guns have been to the academy maybe three times, which is a fairly high round count for an LE gun.

I personally own a full size 9mm and .45 and both shoot very well and have been trouble free. The triggers do get much better in them after maybe 500 rounds or so. When I first bought them I shot the 9mm quite a bit more and the difference between the two triggers with 500-750 on the 9mm and 200-250 on the .45 was obvious. If you really don't like the trigger, buy the APEX kit. It's relatively cheap and everybody sings its praises.

ETA: In my department we collectively own:
    M&P9 x4
    M&P40 x2
    M&P9c x1
    M&P40c x1
    M&P45 x1

No issues with the guns that our guys own.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  19. ditchdoc24

ditchdoc24

Jan 15, 2009
    Georgia
    I've been carrying a M&P9 for about 2 years now. When I got hired, I had never laid a finger on one before and I've been very happy with my Glocks up until that point. I have to say that I like the M&P series quite a bit. The trigger feels a lot like my Glock and the gun is easy to shoot. I've been contemplating getting a pistol in .45 for a while now and my short list is down to the M&P 45 and the Glock 21.

All of the departments in the county I work in carry S&W M&P pistols. The SO carries the 9mm like we do, one of the city departments carries the M&P 40 and another city department carries the M&P 45.