close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

S&W M&P 15 Tactical at Dicks

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Chuck66, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

Mar 10, 2004
    East TN
    I've posted in other threads, and tried to get all the answer I seek whilst shopping for my first AR by searching past threads, here and at other forums/Google. I'm just not finding any info on this gun. Maybe that's an answer in itself.

Dicks has an M&P 15 Tactical with quad rail, the melonite barrel with 5R rifling and flip up front and rear sights on sale for $999. I can do the Dicks credit cardand get another 10% off, making this $910, or just over $1k out the door. (card to be paid off next day.)

I'm interested, however, in my newb-ness, I have questions I can't find an answer to.

Is this a mid-length gas system? Looks like it to me, but IDK.

Is this a free-float rail? And will I care for punching paper?

Anything else I should be concerned about on this particular gun? I like the longer rail, because I like to reach more forward to grip the fore grip. But don't care for the feel of the bare rails. Seems like it would really dig in after a while of shooting. Would likely add an AFG later either way.

Thoughts and comments much appreciated. :wavey:

2. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    The 10in free float rail is short for my liking. The pic rails don't dig. Gloves are always an option. I do believe it is a midlength. The barrel is something that interests me and I'd like to give it a try. The price is a little high as compared to prices of other ARs. But like I said I'm not a fan of the rail so I'd end up changing it.

3. cyphertext

cyphertext

Jan 6, 2004
    Dallas
    No, it is not a mid length gas system. Yes, it is a free float rail.

The new M&P 15T with the melonite barrel is basically a Sport with forward assist, dust cover, and a free float rail. The barrel, BCG, and lower are the same as on the Sport. Knowing this, I agree that the price is high, as the rail appears to be a UTG Pro rail. This should only run about $200 more tops than the Sport, in my opinion.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786010_-1_757785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

4. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    Hell by a Sport model and use the extra money to buy more ammo.

5. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    Sportsmans outdoor superstore has it for $899 with free shipping. If a 10 inch rail and MBUS are what you want, that is a decent price. By the time you shaved or replaced the front sight on a Sport with a gas block and rail mounted sight, you would be at the same price point without the resale value.

6. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

Mar 10, 2004
    East TN
    Thanks all. That clears up a lot for me.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    $899 sounds like a decent deal.

Unles you could find and orignal M&P15T NIB (there are two different models that share the same name) for the same or less.

The original has a mid-length gas system, w/Troy rail & sights, M4 profile 1/9 barrel.

8. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

Mar 10, 2004
    East TN
    I kind of thought you might reply in this thread. :supergrin:

That's something else I've been searching on. The differences between the current tactical and the original model. I didn't know if this one at Dicks was a special run for them, because I don't recognize it among the models on S&W's website. That made me wonder if it might be subject to cost-cutting measures.

9. cyphertext

cyphertext

Jan 6, 2004
    Dallas
    There have been discussions on other forums about the 15T at Dick's being a little different than the one with the SKU on my link above. The biggest difference being that it is coming with a 10 round magazine instead of the 30 round Pmag. Some are speculating that S&W has removed the bullet button on some CA compliant rifles and sent them to Dick's as a special run.

10. cyphertext

cyphertext

Jan 6, 2004
    Dallas
    If you are interested in the original model, CDNN has those for $1099

11. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    What page? Their darn catalog is 124 pages long!!!

Oooh...oh....page 11.

Yup, appears to be original. I would hope that you actually get what is in the picture.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  12. cyphertext

cyphertext

Jan 6, 2004
    Dallas
    You get a free optic with purchase too. I bet the guys in the other thread would love to hear about it! :supergrin:

It is also on page 1...

13. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    That is absoutely too weird. First, I can't believe I missed it on the first page.

Second, in "the other thread", I just posted about that optic. I checked one out yesterday that another AR shooter was using.

It's spectacular for $99.00, or "free" with a S&W AR. An original 15T with one of those optics would be awesome for fun & HD/SD.

Ooooooops!!! I meant terrible, absolutely terrible. Not combat ready, not assault rated, not good enough.:rofl::rofl:

OP, you should jump on that.

14. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    I went to the range today. I met a guy who was using a Tasco red dot optic. W/ all the "just as good" talk I decided I would try it out since I hadn't purchased 3-4 cheap optics trying to skimp by in the past. Well the wierdest thing, All that past experience w/ cheap optics before moving onto quality optics was wrong, dead wrong. That Tasco RDS was awesome, I mean absolutely excellent. It was just as good if not better than all those Aimpoints, Elcans and ACOGs I've purchased or was issued.

I mean I put a lot of rounds down range using the Tasco today. An entire magazine on the static range on a nice sunny fall day w/o even the slightest issue. I mean hell that should be proof enough for anyone. An entire magazine! If you can't figure out everything there is to know about an optic in an entire magazine you're crazy. That's T&E to the maximum.

15. LL6

LL6

Feb 22, 2010
    Off I-40, NC
    Your sarcasm needs practice. :rofl:

16. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    Mo.
    That was funny:rofl:

17. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Yep, it's a UTG rail. That alone is enough to make me suggest avoid it. Their track record is definitely not one of quality.

18. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Mar 13, 2001
    Behind the Green door
    While you are at Dicks look at the TROY carbine, They are shooters...