close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

S&W M&P 15 Sport v Colt 6920

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Matthew Courtney, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airhasz

Airhasz
    Expand Collapse

It's obvious mil spec isn't needed but neither are Z06 Corvettes and there are a hell a lot of them on the road. People in this country buy what they want and can afford, not just what they need. Who are these bitter idiots and haters you so boldly speak of? You are the only one I see that is upset...lol

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. bigmoney890

bigmoney890
    Expand Collapse

I generally see positive things said about the M&P sport for what it is intended for, occasional plinking and HD. I doubt it would stand up to the harsh environment and beating it would take in the middle east like many other AR companies have been proven to do, but, that doesn't mean it isn't good enough for the average joe and his purposes.

3. CoachStall

CoachStall
    Expand Collapse
    CSU - Indy

Anxiously awaiting the results:popcorn:

4. glocksterr

glocksterr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyGlockHippy

and dont let the fanboys that are trying to justify spending less for less gun and convince themself/us that they somehow gained an advantage stop you from buying the gun your likely to want/buy in the long run today.

:whistling:

5. TACLOAD

TACLOAD
    Expand Collapse

I went with Colt for the resale value. Case in point, sold my original LE6920 for $90 less than I paid for it after running 4000 rounds through it. Felt bad and got anther one before they stopped the LE markings.

6. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot
    Expand Collapse
    OIF 04-05

Quote: I bought mine today, just to refute the hater's on here. No one in the U.S. needs all the "MIL-spec" nonsense. The pictures above show the M4 feed ramps, and staking on the BCG. Their is chrome where it needs to be.
    Anyone researching their 1st AR should get one. Don't let the bitter idiots, who over-spent, ruin an outstanding choice.

AMEN!!! Eyelikeglasses.

#86 TangoFoxtrot, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  7. cyphertext

cyphertext
    Expand Collapse

I saw that too, and if it is as he describes, it isn't a M&P 15 Sport. I also saw on another forum where a member bought a "new" S&W and when he took it to the range, it had problems. He was trying to troubleshoot it and was finally convinced to ship it back and let S&W fix it. Well, S&W sent it back to him and told him it wasn't their rifle. Their lower, but not their upper. Be careful what you buy when it comes to an AR-15.

8. MD357

MD357
    Expand Collapse

I bought a bottle of Weaponsheild myself and I like it a lot but as you said, I've got some Amsoil ATF and a ton of Mobil 1 laying around that I'll be using after that goes, it's just too cheap and you're not gonna beat it. Anyone with even a remedial amount of chemisty background understands how overpriced the "wonderlubes" are.

9. K. Foster

K. Foster
    Expand Collapse

At some point during the test, I think it would be interesting to clean both rifles and then keep them lubed but don’t clean them and run them to the point of failure.
    On lubrication; Slip is about as good a firearm lube as you can get but when you figure in cost, synthetic motor oil and lithium grease would get my vote for training guns.

10. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney
    Expand Collapse
    Instructor #298

The rifles will be cleaned at regular intervals, every 400 rounds, as that is what our POI calls for. At $40 for a pint and $225 for a gallon, Slip2K EWL is not cost prohibitive. In fact, if it extends the life of parts and firearms 10% over Mobile 1, it will prove to more than pay for itself given we have over $40,000 invested in firearms.

11. K. Foster

K. Foster
    Expand Collapse

Interesting that you’ve totally switched stances on lube in one week.
    Oh well....there is no wrong answer.

12. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney
    Expand Collapse
    Instructor #298

We have not changed stances quite yet. The 16 ounce bottle I ordered should be in within the next few days and I will clean and totally degrease my carry pistols and relube with slip 2k ewl. If my pistols can get sweated on by me for two weeks without rusting, I will suggest to my team that we ditch Mobile 1 and corrosion x, then start using the slip 2k. Four of seven must concur to make the change, but if there's rust on my carry pistols, I won't suggest the switch.

13. Bimmer1

Bimmer1
    Expand Collapse

Just received my bottles of Slip 2000 and the EWL variant from Amazon.com
    Amazon has good deals on a lot of gun stuff......including Magpul CTR stocks.

14. SCSU74

SCSU74
    Expand Collapse
    St. Cloud Proud

Withdrawn

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

#94 SCSU74, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  15. vram74

vram74
    Expand Collapse

16. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

It's an interesting test, but that's not the same as typical use, either. Plus, per scientific testing, results are only valid if repeatable. Not saying it's bull, but you should take all of it with a grain of salt unless the tests are done several times with the same results.

17. fowler

fowler
    Expand Collapse

I think the SW Sport will be just as good. I have seen the Sport shoot thousands of rounds without issue. They all poop where they eat and if you don,t run them wet or clean them you will have problems just as the Colts did in Vietnam. Oil&clean is the key to all Ar,s problems. I use Mil-com white lube and when that runs out back to Ballistol muti-purpose Sportsman oil. This oil is about the best you can buy for firearms. Used by the German Army in ww2 in all weapons from MG42 to p38's in all weather all fronts.

#97 fowler, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  18. MD357

MD357
    Expand Collapse

Granted it's no PRJ publication, it's quite a bit more substantial than anything posted in this thread.

Kind of like the OP's test between the two ARs.

19. Airhasz

Airhasz
    Expand Collapse

The German army in WWll got their ass kicked:rofl:

20. fowler

fowler
    Expand Collapse

Larry Vickers likes the ballistol oil to as do many others. What doe's WW2 and the Germans have to do with there products Walther,SIG,HK,BMW,Mercedes. As with all you who drive Japanese cars and trucks???? Its a fine lube thats keeps the crude from jamming up your AR .

#100 fowler, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.