close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

S&W M&P 15-22 questions

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Braski6, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Braski6

Braski6
    Expand Collapse
    Proud G23 Owner

Hey folks. To say I have the itch is a HUGE understatement! If I make it through the holiday season relatively unscathed, this is at the top of my list. Couple of quick questions....

How "customizable" is the 15-22? By this I mean can you easily swap out stocks, rails, etc? I'm the first to admit I'm a total new kid on the block with ARs so the more you guys can help, the better. I don't have any background so any buzzwords, you can bet I'll be giving it one of these...:headscratch:

What I'm trying to get at guys is this....I am planning on making this my "fun" gun meaning I'm going to deck it out with all the stuff I've always wanted to do...if possible. So I am giving you all the power. Give me suggestions of super cool "ideas" to do to this gun.

To let you know, I love the look of a black AR with white or tan rails and stocks. Let's start there and go forward (oh and any suggestions on white rails/stocks, that'd be helpful too)....

Thanks everybody! GT rocks!

Josh

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine
    Expand Collapse

I don't know how much more junk you can hang on it than I have on mine.:supergrin:
    [​IMG]

I got 8 magazines so I can blast 200 rounds without stopping.

Tomorrow four out of town folks are going to have a chance to run a bunch of ammo through the 15-22 and my Bushmaster.

Seems there's a little resemblance between the two rifles.:)
    [​IMG]

#2 M2 Carbine, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  3. Braski6

Braski6
    Expand Collapse
    Proud G23 Owner

man those are pretty...

4. DJ Niner

DJ Niner
    Expand Collapse

I don't have one (yet), but I've been doing some research on the areas you asked about to answer my own questions.

According to the S&W website, the stock is a "mil-spec" model, so if you buy a replacement, make sure it's sized for a mil-spec (not commercial-size) tube. As the tube seems to be an actual extension of the polymer lower receiver, you probably cannot adapt it to use a full-size fixed A1/A2 configuration stock.

The rails seems to be proprietary to this gun as far as the way they attach; the rails themselves are 1913 Mil Standard rails (again, according to S&W), so you can attach anything that will fit this style of rail. You can get rail covers in two styles (high profile and low profile, also called "ladder style") and many colors, so you can snap/slide these on to change the color/appearance of the rails.

Looks like the sights could probably be changed to anything designed to mount on a same-plane AR rail system.

The first two items above can be verified at the link below, by hovering the mouse over the area in question (stock or rails):

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...atalogId=10001&content=751501&sectionId=10002

5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine
    Expand Collapse

What sold me on the 15-22 (I bought it 10 minutes after first seeing it) is the controls are EXACTLY like the AR.
    A couple weeks ago I taught a lady to shoot my Bushmaster. First I had her run a bunch of magazines through the 15-22. When she picked up the Bushmaster she was completely comfortable with the .223 rifle.

I figure in ammo cost savings the 15-22 will have paid for itself by the end of December.:)

6. CMG

CMG
    Expand Collapse

I own two, and the rails cannot be changed out but any style (or color) of rail cover can be used. The stock tube is indeed an integral part of the lower receiver, and can't be changed out for a fixed stock tube. Any collapsible stock that will fit a mil-spec tube can be installed on the S&W. The lower receiver is also mil-spec in terms of pin sizes and locations, so any trigger/safety upgrades will work as well.

They are really nicely built, and mine have both been utterly reliable.

7. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine
    Expand Collapse

Mine jams quite a bit with Wal Mart 550 bulk pack, but so do most of my 22LR guns malfunction with it.

I shoot a LOT of 22, so it's just something I put up with.

8. pugman

pugman
    Expand Collapse

Remington, Federal?

I have lots of problems with Remington in my High Standard, buckmark, and 10-22.

I have zero with Federal.

9. pntblnk

pntblnk
    Expand Collapse

I'll second the call on Remington vs Federal in the 15-22. I ran a box of each through mine this week and the Remington bulk jams 2-3 times per mag. The Federal may have jammed / misfired 2-3 time for the entire box. My 10-22 and 22-45 cycle the Remington just fine but the S&W just doesn't like it.

Must be the age old S&W vs Remington feud still going strong...:rofl:

10. Paulie Puncher

Paulie Puncher
    Expand Collapse

where did you find more mags? and how much are they? I love my smith 15-22, nice set up very light so when my daughter or children want to plink a few rounds its just right for them. Ive had just 2 ftf issues, but they were the result of bulk ammo. I may try to get another or a colt amerex by Christmas.

11. CMG

CMG
    Expand Collapse

Both of mine run just fine with Federal Bulk.... I quit buying Remington rimfire ammo a looonnngggg time ago. I recently bought some of the Winchester 333 bulk but haven't tried it in the S&Ws yet.

12. CMG

CMG
    Expand Collapse

www.44mag.com ....... $17.99 each

13. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine
    Expand Collapse

I ordered 2 from S&W, bought 3 at a gun show and 2 at Cheaper Than Dirt.

All were in the $22 range.
    $17.99 is a good price.

Wal Mart Rem bulk works good in some of my 22's and poor in others, same with Federal and Winchester.

Yesterday the gun ran good with Aguila HV but jammed bad today with the same ammo.:upeyes:

Today I was going to let four out of town folks run some magazines through the 15-22, then shoot my Bushmaster. Right off, the jams were so bad I said the heck with it and checked them out on the Bushmaster.
    None of them had shot a AR before and two are from California. They went through 220 .223 rounds, a bunch of 9mm and 38 Special and they had a ball.:supergrin:

Tomorrow I'm going to start the Smith out with a good cleaning.

14. DriBak

DriBak
    Expand Collapse
    GUNS UP
    Millennium Member

If the barrel was threaded I would already have one, that is why I am holding out for the Sig 552. :)

15. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine
    Expand Collapse

I saw the problem today.
    The ejector needed to be VERY SLIGHTLY bent to the right (toward center). The base of the extracted case was missing the ejector and the fire case wasn't being ejected many times, jamming the bolt.

I fired two magazines. Then after dark I shot two more magazines using the laser.

This is my week for ejector problems. My Browning Buckmark 22 had exactly the same problem.

16. Faulkner

Faulkner
    Expand Collapse
    Patriot
    Millennium Member

out of stock

17. DJ Niner

DJ Niner
    Expand Collapse

The awesome power of Glock Talk! ;) :supergrin:

18. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine
    Expand Collapse

Last week at the gun show I bought a set (3/$20) of the forearm rail covers (whatever they are called).

They make the forearm more comfortable to hold but make the forearm bulky.
    I haven't made up my mind if I like them or not.

[​IMG]

BTW, since adjusting the ejectors on the M&P 22 and the Browning Buckmark the guns are functioning fine.

19. CMG

CMG
    Expand Collapse

M2,

I have the same rail covers (Pro-Mag brand... I got mine at Academy Sports). I like them much better than the bare rails.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#19 CMG, Dec 5, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  20. Faulkner

Faulkner
    Expand Collapse
    Patriot
    Millennium Member

I loaded up my new M&P 15-22 with some other .22's and a brick of cartridges . . . never even pulled the other guns out of the truck.

[​IMG]