close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

S&W M&P 15-22 blows up???

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by cosmose, Dec 7, 2012.

1. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

He just told the WHOLE FREAKIN' WORLD, and if he ships the "offensive" casing back with the gun, then I guess the guys at S&W will figure it out.

If I put diesel fuel in my gasoline engine truck, should I expect GMC to fix it for me?

JEEEzus folks, READ the manual, and follow directions, or assume the consequences. :upeyes:

Don't worry, figure S&W will fix it, and pass on the costs of the repair, and untold others to the people who buy new ones.

2. cosmose

cosmose

Dec 1, 2008
    Alabama
    they said it would not run consistently or reliably, and that they don't recommend them, it didn't say to Not use them.
    plus i don't see how a underpower round could cause a oob discharge.

3. captcurly

captcurly

Sep 14, 2008
    Southern Delaware
    Matt, You beat me to it. I have a 15-22 and read the manual. The manual warns about certain ammo that should be be used.

4. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

And just because nobody told ever you not to put beans up your nose, is it a wicked good idea to do so??:wow:

It has yet to be determined if it is an out of battery fire issue, a defective extractor, fouled chamber bad ammunition, or if it was an obstruction in the barrel. All possible causes are 100% speculation and some highly educated guesses based on a few pictures.

The root cause will most likely remain so for our lifespan unless some pretty heavy duty tests are made and all evidence is provided to the testing authority and and a RCA is issued. As no personal injury happened, most likely S&W will just repair the rifle and send it back.

But posting a thread saying that you used ammunition not recommended in the owners manual and had a problem is part of the reason why the manuals are getting thicker every year. Bottom line, the user was not using recommended ammo:upeyes:

5. bikerdog

bikerdog

Feb 11, 2009
    The reason i was asking about the barrel was because I had a buddy who had something similar happen to him.

He was shooting a smith and wesson 38. While he was shooting he heard a really loud bang. When he checked his gun the cylinder would not turn. It turned out that he had a bad round which had gotten stuck inside the barrel. When he fired a second good round out it struck the bad round and pushed both out of the barrel. But it also blew up the case of the good round.

When you said you where using the quites. I know they are underpowered and most of them are not supposed to be used in rifles.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Mine did it once in about 30k rounds with federal bulk pack. Didn't hurt anything, just a little loud. I just pulled the mangled brass and kept shooting. I just chalked it up to bad ammo and went on. That was around 10k ago.

Your "unknown part" is the extractor plunger.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  7. Travclem

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Looks like an "A" on the brass, Aguila? CCI usually has a "C" unless the quiet is contracted out.

8. cosmose

cosmose

Dec 1, 2008
    Alabama
    I was shooting the CCi quiets and then switched to aguila sub-sonics that's when it happened

9. Travclem

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Oh, ok. I missed that part.

10. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

Jan 24, 2012
    I did the same thing in a marlin model 60. I was feeding cb longs into the chamber one at a time. On one it was apparently a little out of battery, but fired anyway. As a result, now I always wear ear plugs and glasses... usually.

Btw the gun was unharmed.

11. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    The French made Unique pistols were known for doing that; the extractor would freeze and set off the primers as the chamber closed, causing the gun to FA.