close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

S&W disassembly help?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Esox357, Oct 18, 2010.

1. I attempted to field strip my pistol and noticed that I am unable to get the slide stop pin out of the reciever to take off the slide? This thing is solid and wont budge. I don't want to damage the gun but dang how do I get this thing out? Esox357.

2. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio

3. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    if the mag is out, then try pushing on the slide stop pin from the right side of the gun with something soft and pointy so you wont scratch the gun

4. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    are you also pulling the slide back to the 1/2 moon cutout to get the slide stop out?

5. Yep mag is out, pushing from right side to left, and the slide stop is in the cutout for the slide stop. No dice. I put patches over the pin and used a metal rod to push it against the slide stop pin. No luck yet.

6. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    Then your gun is broke man!! That sounds very strange and have never heard anything like it before. You might need to take it to a smith or send it back to smith.

7. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    gonna be another silly question.
    are you trying to remove the slide stop with the slide locked back?

8. I finally got it. I need better instructions. I was trying to remove the slide pin through the slide lock which wasn't far enough back. I had to pull it to the "half moon" cut which I didn't notice until after the fact. I got it cleaned finally put it back together. Forgive a Glock guy. Thanks for the help guys.

9. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

May 4, 2007
    Smallville
    Easiest way is to always turn the bushing and take the recoil spring plug out first, so the recoil spring can relax. This way you're not fighting against the recoil spring when you align the slidestop pin.

10. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    I used to do this, but recently have been removing Slide Stop first. The bushing's on 2 of my 1911's are almost impossible to turn while the gun is still together

11. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    if the bushing can be turned by hand (w/o a bushing wrench) i usually remove the bushing this way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now with my 2 1911's that need a bushing wrench (TGO-1 and Custom Shop TRP), i pull the slide off, remove the guide rod, slide the barrel out of battery, then remove the bushing.