close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

S&W AR's How Do They Rate?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by D.S.Brown, Jan 24, 2010.

1. D.S.Brown

D.S.Brown Millennium Member

Dec 24, 1999
    North Texas
    I have the opportunity to purchase one where I work part-time at a discounted price. How do they compare qualitatively to other AR's out there? Thanks.

Best,

Dave

2. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Kansas
    Mediocre. Better than DPMS, CMMG and Bushmaster and not as good as Colt, BCM, LMT.

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    I agree with Sarge'
    Look into picking up an "extractor upgrade kit"
    Ensure the gas key is properly staked and it should be fine.

I would rate the S&W a 7 out of 10, great value for the average Joe.

4. aomagrat

aomagrat Greyhounds are greyt!

Nov 9, 2004
    Lexington SC
  5. cab980002

cab980002

Feb 29, 2008
    Southern IL
    I carry mine on duty every day and love it. Can't beat the lifetime warranty that they now carry. I would say buy it if the price is right.

6. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

May 16, 2006
    VA
    I have had no problems with mine. But then I only hunt paper.

7. msabo1023

msabo1023

Jul 20, 2009
    ive shot mine alot and love it, not one problem w it. +1 on the lifetime warranty and just fyi the new ones have the extractor upgrade already.

8. I have one and I like it. It has never malfunctioned but I don't like the trigger. It is not as smooth as my Colt duty rifle when rapid firing.

9. HogGlocker

HogGlocker Owner Since 88'

I bought two in March of 08'. My other two are a Colt std A2 and a RRA M4.

S&W had early problems, mine are serial range 142xxx and function fine w/ PMAGS.

The early problems were addressed...and just to remind folks, there are but a few suppliers of uppers and lowers to the entire industry. Main four lower manufacturers are LAR, LMT, MMS and CMT [yep, Continental Machine & Tool...parent of Stag....long time MIL contractor].

CMT did make for Stag, RRA, High Standard, Noveske (old), Century (current), Global Tactical, CLE, S&W, MGI (1st batch), Wilson Tactical, (some?) Colt, Ratworx. Debatable on Colt....but it is in the research thats been done.

My two M&P15 have keyhole uppers [you know, the little forging mark]....take a look around and see how many keyhole uppers you find.

Anyhow, a quality upper/lower and quality parts [BCG, FCG] and a good barrel makea good rifle. S&W does not go full mil-spec [for those who think it is a must....its not] but they do incorporate lots of the mil standard....

S&W will never ooze kool-aid like Colt and they [and all others] will never be as good as LMT, BCM or Noveske.....

Smith has made a very reliable, durable and accurate weapon and I will favorably compare mine to my Colt, an older Bushy Dissipator I once had and my Rock River M4.

Quality is quality...no matter what the name is.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  10. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    What they've said.

For the money, good rifle. It's not an LMT or a Colt or BCM but they're reliable, functional and go bang. I have 2 of them, and would carry them on duty without any problems (i've run mine enough to know they function, and have the gas key, etc properly staked).

11. Wyoming

Wyoming

Feb 3, 2007
    Southwest Wyoming
    I have one and it works very well. My brother like it so well he bought one just like mine. He made his choice after shooting my Ruger SSR, Stag, Bushmaster, Remington, Colt and several Rock Rivers. I think the AR 15 platform has been around so long that it is pretty much figured out. Also the AR 15 industry is interbreed, I had to wait over 14 months ( I ordered 2 month before the election) to recieve Rock River Elite Comp because they were waiting for the chrome lined barrels.

If you get a S&W MP 15 you will be happy. Don't let people that haven't used one but only heard something about revolvers waist your time.

BTW, I have owned S&W revolvers for four decades and they work too!

12. markman

markman

Dec 30, 2004
    N. IL
    Better than most and if you look around you can usually find a pretty good dael on them.

13. fivestar

fivestar

Oct 15, 2004
    I'm really happy with my Smith. Sure, if Colt's and Smith's were the same cost I'd probably opt for the Colt. Since they're not and cause I'm on a budget, Smith offered the highest quality at my price point IMHO.

YMMV.

14. madecov

madecov book em' Danno

If your buying a S&W with standard furniture there is a good chance the parts are sourced from CMT
    The early guns were built entirely and serviced by CMT

Barrels on S&W are made by Thompson Contender (owned by S&W)

They are now assembled by S&W in house

15. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG Milspectacular

Aug 28, 2006
    Not Los Angeles.
    I would say S&W a year ago but considering you can get an all BCM midlength for $1050 before shipping and transfer, I would get a BCM now.

BCM M/L 1:7 upper with BCG, and handguards $590
    BCM M4 lower $350
    BCM carry handle $110

But I didn't have any problems from my M&P15A except for the Pmag issue.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  16. heliguy

heliguy

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've got the new MP 5-22 and it's fantastic, great shooter after a thousand rounds or so...

17. akgunnut

akgunnut

Feb 17, 2007
    Alaska
    I have been really pleased with my M&P15 plus got 5 free PMags directly from S&W!

18. Great rifle for the money. The OR model for 725.00 is great.
    Can't beat the warranty and updated extractor either.

It is no Colt, but if I wanted a Colt I would buy one.

19. MistoGators

MistoGators 0331 - Guns Up

Jan 29, 2010
    I think it's a great rifle for the price. I've had mine since last summer (got almost 1000 rounds through it). It's easy to find the regular or "A" model for less than $1,000.

[​IMG]