close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

S&W 686SSR opinions

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by tabacm11, Jan 13, 2010.

1. tabacm11

tabacm11

Dec 31, 2009
    Does anyone have any experience with the 686SSR and is it worth the extra 100 bucks over the regular 686? Also will this model fit in a holster for a regular 686? I'm looking into shooting IDPA with a revolver, and think this would be a good revolver.

2. I went with the standard 686 because I like the style. That being said, I did the research on the SSR and it's a pretty good deal. The upgrades you get would cost well over $100 to have them done later. Also, I am pretty sure I was told the SSR will fit in the standard holster, but maybe someone here knows more about that.

3. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    I don't have experience with either but I do plan on getting a 686SSR this year and give SSR division a shot. The price difference is worth it to me but I don't have a lot of experience with revolvers. I do want to make sure if you are looking at the regular 686 you get a 6 shot and not a 7 shot. Doing IDPA with a 7 shot you can only load 6 in would be very tedious.

4. +1 about the 7 shot, doesn't work out well for IDPA

5. tabacm11

tabacm11

Dec 31, 2009
    I've heard that about the 7 shot, plus I think it'll be easier to get speed loaders for 6 shot. And am I right that if you go with full moon clips you cannot shoot in SSR? Do you guys think the advantages of full moon clips is worth shooting the different division? Thanks for the replies so far.

6. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    If you use moon clips you compete in ESR. In IDPA you are only really competing against your division and your class so I can't really say if it is worth it or not. You should be faster with moonclips but the people you are running against in ESR are using moon clips to. If you want to shoot with moon clips you are probably going to want a .45 ACP revolver.

7. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jun 25, 2004
    Texas
    i have a 686 SSR with a trigger by mike carmoney and a stock 586. to me the 686ssr is well worth the price difference over a standard 686.

8. tabacm11

tabacm11

Dec 31, 2009
    ede, does the 686ssr fit in a regular 686 holster?

9. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep NRA Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Ala-freakin'-bama
    I have a 686SSR and love it. The trigger's better than any standard 686 that I've played with.

I shoot SSR pretty regularly, and the 686SSR is just about the perfect gun out of the box to use in that game.

10. rpf717

rpf717

Apr 2, 2002
    Ohio
    +1 on this. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks

11. They are nice but let me tell you..I have two good friends that I shoot with that got them when they first came out I believe a couple years ago(we have a personal friend that is an FFL dealer so they got them that quick when they hit the market), they were both screwed from the factory and both of them had the same problem, cylinder drag and it would lock up, thank God we have a good revolver gunsmith that fixed them..he was like they should have never left the factory like this. I am not saying smith revolvers are junk but this is what happened to my two friends, they opted to let Warren fix them instead of sending them back to S&W...my friends are BIG revolver shoots and almost all us S&W revolvers, except me(glock 34) for all the matches. YMMV

John

12. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jun 25, 2004
    Texas
    i use CR speed so i don't really know. only used the SSR in steel match and a couple boot leg GSSF style matches. if i were to guess i'd say there would be no problems using both guns and one holster. might want to look at a holster makers web site and see if they list two different holsters for 686 and 686ssr.

13. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep NRA Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Ala-freakin'-bama
    The 686 SSR WILL fit in a holster made for a 4" 686. I use a Ready Tactical holster and when I ordered it I asked Chris the same question. He said he uses the same 686 blue gun to mold holsters for both the 686 and the 686 SSR