close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

S&W 640-1 Gun Show find!

Discussion in 'The Snubbie Club' started by IvanW, Dec 12, 2010.

1. IvanW

IvanW

Dec 17, 2009
    I posted this on a couple other forums I am on, but thought I'd put it here as well to share my good fortune.
    I was at the Harrisburg, PA, MAAC Gun Show yesterday and came across a pristine, 640-1; no lock, NIB. It has beautiful cocobolo grips on and Hogues in the case. The stainless finish is so bright I thought it was nickel at first. The dealer had bought the gun along with many others from a broker who was trying to liquidate a fairly large group of guns a semi-private dealer needed to dispose of, as he had some money issues.
    When I initially saw the price ($429) I thought it was a used gun, but closer examination showed the factory grease, etc. in it and it was definitely unfired. The price included the background check so with tax I was on my way for $454!!
    This model has been on my short list for awhile and I couldn't believe the deal. The only other 640 I saw at the show was a used, rusty one that I had passed on at the last H-burg show. That dealer had even raised the price of that gun to $579! A local GS I deal with has a 640 with the lock for over $600, so I'm still pinching myself. Even better, the dealer I bought the gun from said it was his understanding that this gun should be eligible for the $50 rebate from S&W. I'll put that paperwork in the mail tomorrow.
    I'll try to attch a couple pics of the cleaned up gun, but I've never posted pics before, so bear with me.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

2. pennlineman

pennlineman

Feb 16, 2009
    PA
    Congratulations! I got one just like it about a month ago at the PGCA show in Tarentum Pa. Probably the same dealer. Great gun. I got mine for $424 out the door. :tongueout:

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010

3. tpr7304

tpr7304

Jan 1, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Congrats. How was the rest of the show? I haven't been to the Harrisburg show in years. I'm afraid to ask what they charge to get into the show as well as parking.

4. IvanW

IvanW

Dec 17, 2009
    pennlineman- I got mine from Jeff at Highland Arms. He did say he had a second gun like mine, so it may well be the mate to yours. Either way both of us got good deals on a great gun.

tpr7304- The show is good - there is something for everyone there, it just depends on what you're looking for. Lots of military surplus stuff to pricey SS shotguns, also a number of knife makers/dealers. Parking: $8 Admission to show: $8.
    I got in the show free because I renewed my NRA membership (save $10 on the renewal and get in the show free). They run this show every three months, so next one will be March.

5. pennlineman

pennlineman

Feb 16, 2009
    PA
    They probably are twins. When I found mine I didn't have enough money on me. I asked him if he needed some money to hold it until I found an atm machine. He said not to worry he had another just like it under the table. Whats the chances..........

6. Glock 17L

Glock 17L *GLOCKAHOLIC*

Jan 19, 2004
    Louisville Kentucky
    SWEET!!
    The 640-1 is a Classic..
    One of these days I'll have one sitting next to my 940..
    Gary/Hk

See Ya at the S&W Forum Guys!!'
    HEADKNOCKER

7. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    nice! i have two, one is MagNa-Ported because i had to shoot dozens of rounds quickly to qualify with it.

8. Frizzman

Frizzman

Jan 9, 2010
    Virginia Beach
    That's a fine revolver! I have one I bought new in the early 90's. The 640-1 is the best of the J Frames in my opinion. I have had lots of snubs...Colts, S&W, Ruger, Taurus, Charter Arms. I have had J-K-L-N frame S&W snubs and have several now but if I had to keep only one, the 640-1 would be the one. I've put a good many magnum rounds through it and it has stood up to it without problems. Its not fun to shoot with the 125gr JHP ammo I carry in it but its doable...You got a nice find!

9. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

Nov 29, 2003
    +1 to that. I lucked in to a good deal ($350) on a "used" S&W 640-1 about two months back. It is pre-lock, has it's original box, and is somewhere between VG and Ex in shape, with factory Uncle Mike's "banana" grips. In the overall, I was surprised by the fact that magnum recoil was so controllable with this gun. I did one 60-round qual course with Fiocchi 142gr magnums, and another 60 round course with 30 rounds Winchester Silvertip 145gr/30 rounds Federal 147gr +P+ Hydra-Shok.

I found that the gun could benefit from an overtravel stop and cylinder chamber chamfering. I think I may send it to the S&W Performance Center.

As for now, I'm going to carry the +P+ Hydra-Shok in this gun.