close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

S&w 296....

Discussion in 'The Snubbie Club' started by beaversgs, Nov 5, 2009.

1. beaversgs

beaversgs

Dec 3, 2001
    Boone, NC
    I've got a chance to trade into a S&W 296. I'm not crazy about trying to find .44 special ammo, but I like the idea of the gun as a primary carry gun. I've heard that the recoil is sharp, and I know the bullet weight it limited to 200 grains or less, which is fine by me.

I had a 625-10 and thought it was more painful to shoot than I'd like in a carry gun. I shoot IDPA occasionally with my carry guns and I never found the load/grip combo that would let me do that with the 625-10. Will the 296 be any different? One thing is the 296 is about half the price (@$450 vs $1,000) of the 625-10.

I'd like to hear from some of the .44 special guys out there. IMHO, this is a viable option to the Charter Arms Bulldog. I've wanted one for a while, but just couldn't get over the fit and finish on the CA.

What say you?

Thanks,

GregB

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  2. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    I say enjoy the crap out of it, use jacketed ammo and it shouldn't be too bad.
    Corbon and Buffalo Bore both load some really capable .44sp loads.
    I have the 242, the 7 shot .38sp sibling to the 296, I love it.

3. Ronny

Ronny Good Guy

Dec 28, 2001
    NE Ohio
    Its a good deal. You'de be getting a smith for not much more than than a CA. If you pass on it ask him to message me with pics and I'll take it and pay shipping.

4. beaversgs

beaversgs

Dec 3, 2001
    Boone, NC
    I'm pretty sure that he doesn't have this one anymore, as it was over a year ago.

Thanks,

GregB

5. bhp9mm

bhp9mm

Nov 12, 2007
    i don't have the 296 but u got a good price on it i have the 242 7 shot 38 special like it

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  6. beaversgs

beaversgs

Dec 3, 2001
    Boone, NC
    I decided to pass on it. Price and availability of ammo was the big deciding factor, since I don't reload. Might reconsider if I ever came across another one at a decent price. Still hoping to find an affordable 2" unported Taurus 455 (.45acp) one day.

GregB