close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

S&W 1911 Grip Safety Swap

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by denn1911, Aug 9, 2011.

1. denn1911

denn1911

Oct 14, 2010
    New England
    Hi Group,

Does anyone know if there is an alternative to the S&W 1911's black oxide grip safety? I'd like to swap it for a stainless grip safety. When I called S&W, the customer serives reps didn't have any idea.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.

2. From the look of it, you should be able to replace it with any 220 radius cut grip safety. This can be a Wilson or Smith & Alexander version. You can also check to see if EGW came out with their 220 radius version. A lot of smiffs are looking forward to the EGW version.

3. denn1911

denn1911

Oct 14, 2010
    New England
    Thanks for the reply. I brought a Smith & Alex. and a Wilson, both series 80 and both 220 radius, to my gunsmith. Neither would engage the safety lever for the safety plunger. He thought that maybe a series 70 Wilson 220 radius would work. I don't think that they make a series 70 only grip safety. Back to the drawing board.

4. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    I ran a Caspian "Dorsal Fin" on mine. Fit wasn't as nice as factory, but it worked pretty well.