close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

S&B steel case,have you gotten any?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Wash-ar15, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

Sep 15, 2007
    got a stern warning and ammo check from the indoor range i shoot at. They were checking for steel case S&B rounds.

never seen one yet. are they common?

2. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    I came across a few at Sam's a few weeks ago.

Luckily, I run a magnet over my brass as I sort it. You can get one of those 25 pound retrieving magnets from harbor Freight for $5.

3. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    A guy at my club got a bulk ordered of ammo he thought was a good deal. Nickel coated steel.:crying:

4. Camu Mahubah

Camu Mahubah 9=Fine

Nov 11, 2010
    Nebraskastan
  5. One of the indoor ranges I visit gets their panties in a knot about steel cased ammo too. They told me that steel cased ammo was too powerful and wasn't safe to use :upeyes:

I reload the odd steel case so sometimes I still shoot them there. Some RO's don't care as they know I'll be picking them up and won't be contaminating their brass collections.

6. jmorris

jmorris

Apr 13, 2006
    The only ones I have found were 9mm. I use a magnet to get catch steel cases and was shocked when I noticed shiny brass (plated) cases stuck to it.

7. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    I don’t load S&B brass. At least try not to. The group that I shoot with has found a couple of 9mm with steel cases. We all have a magnet in the case feeder to snatch them up just in case a steel one should slip by.

8. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

Sep 15, 2007
    Both.

9. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    Why would they care if you are shooting steel case rounds? Steel bullets yes, because that could cause damage to their traps. Just don’t see their reasoning behind the steel case. Unless you are using their range guns? Or they reload what brass is left behind and don’t want to deal with steel case’s? Just would be interesting to know what their reason is.

10. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

Sep 15, 2007
    like many ranges,they sell the brass as scrap and any steel found,even if its one case, will automaticlly be given a lower rate.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  11. mnhogrider

mnhogrider

Sep 10, 2007
    Minnesota
    I see a fair amount of 9MM S&B steel cases w/brass coating. The range I shoot at doesn't care about steel/aluminum cases. The indoor range north of me does, and doesn't allow them.

I separate them out and throw them in the steel bin at work.

9MM S&B brass is low on my list as a brand to reload. Now .380, I'll take the time to bevel the primer pocket much like the way Remington cases look so the primer seats easier. I find their brass cases hold up real good.