close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

S&B 45 brass

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by 8th SPS USAF, Aug 17, 2010.

1. 8th SPS USAF

8th SPS USAF

Apr 28, 2007
    Indiana
    Is S&B brass 45acp a pain to load? Do you have to open the primer pocket?

thanks

8th

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana

3. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne

Feb 19, 2009
    DFW, TX
    .45 is probably the easiest caliber to load, and S&B makes it the hardest.

Nuf said.

4. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    I don’t know about the S&B 45 brass but some of the 9mm is steel looks like brass but it is steel. For me all of the S&B brass goes in the trash.

5. D. Manley

D. Manley

May 30, 2005
    Southern US
    Correct. In 9MM, S&B makes two versions of ammo...one with a true brass case and the other, brass coated steel. These can be weeded out quickly with a magnet. I believe the problem with steel cases is limited to 9MM. They market the two 9MM versions differently and I've never seen it in any other caliber and certainly not, in .45.

That aside, the S&B brass has almost no bevel on the primer pocket. It's this sharp "break" that causes the problem (normally in progressive presses) of difficult priming. In my experience, most pieces prime with no issue but occasionally, one will not line up precisely and will miss the center of the primer pocket catching on the "break". The brass can be easily remedied a couple of ways...just a few turns of a manual champfering tool or as I do, give 'em a little bump with the Dillon Super Swage. I trashed S&B a long time until I ran across someone on Brian Enos forums who had good things to say. Out of curiousity, I followed his advice and found he was correct. With that little prep on the primer pocket done you'll never find a more durable, consistent and loadable piece of brass. IMHO it's excellent brass and if you need it, prep it and use it. If not, dump it. I'm more than flush on 9MM brass or I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  6. tjpet

tjpet

May 14, 2001
    Utah-Idaho border
    Just use a bit more muscle, the primer will seat.

S&B .45ACP brass is good but the primer pockets are tight. I've got a few thousand that have easily been reloaded 15+ times and they're still going strong.

7. I have and loaded 9mm S&B barss. I haven't had any problems....but that is me.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  8. Bultx1215

Bultx1215

May 23, 2008
    Bulverde Tx
    I haven't had a single issue with 9mm or .45acp either. For me, it loads just as well as anything else.:dunno:

9. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    I use it with no problem. I'll try easing the pockets on some once-fired I have.

Thanks, Manley!

10. Stuff is uber strong, makes you a MAN. I should look like Ahnald with my Hand Press and S&B.

11. sicbstrd

sicbstrd

Aug 7, 2008
    San Diego
    the 9mm works ok for me but 45 is really really hard to resize so i just recycle it.