close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

S.A.R. Symbols??

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by 219paul, Aug 4, 2007.

1. 219paul

219paul
    Expand Collapse

I'm usually on the cop forum but thought I'd ask you guys this. I noticed during Katrina there would be a painted symbol on the houses that I assume were searched for survivors. It looked like an "X" with numbers or letters within the X. I've seen this with the cars that were checked in Minnesota. What does the letters and #'s mean?

2. 4095fanatic

4095fanatic
    Expand Collapse

Usually you're supposed to a) "tag" a building/car/etc. to tell other rescuers that it's been searched and they don't have to check it, and b) identify each building/car/etc. for easy reference when feasible ("we recovered a 50 year old female from car 21, and a 4 year old child from the back seat of car 34").

3. FiremanMike

FiremanMike
    Expand Collapse
    Way too busy

USAR markings on houses include the number of victims inside, time checked, unit checking.

4. va_roadrunner

va_roadrunner
    Expand Collapse

... and known hazards.

5. Scottsdale Thug

Scottsdale Thug
    Expand Collapse
    JBT Aspirant

From Wikipedia:

The FEMA marking system

In the United States, markings on searched structures are used on the fronts of structures and are standardized as follows:

* A single diagonal slash indicates that a search in the building is in progress. This is used to indicate searcher locations and to avoid duplication of the search effort.
    * An X inside a square means "Dangerous - Do Not Enter!"
    * An X with writing around it means "Search Completed", with the time (and the date if appropriate) written above the X, the team conducting the search written to the left side of the X, the results of the search (number of victims removed, number of dead, type of search such as primary or secondary) written below the X, and any additional information noted about the structure to the right of the X.

[​IMG]

Edit: Fix Picture