close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

RWS 9mm Luger Sport Line 124gr. FMJ - info?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by yO B, Oct 31, 2009.

1. yO B

yO B
    Expand Collapse

Alright, I have some 9mm Luger 124gr. FMJ ammo, but I can't find any information other than what is on the box. I'm assuming it is range/target ammunition. Does anyone have any experience with this ammuntion?

The box is marked 'RWS 124gr. FMJ Sport Line. RAUG Ammotec AG - Thun -Switzerland. 'The Ammunition Counts'; SYNOXID primer.

I can't find a thing online, but I think it is from BIG 5. I couldn't find anything on the RWS website, and everything I find with keywords relates to air rifles, rifle cartridges, or ancient "Steyer" ammunition. This appears to be fairly new.

The RWS website lists GECO ammo, but the box print has nothing about this. Keyword searches also came up with the "Fiocchi" name, but again, nothing on the box. I want to know what I have, or any other significant information. Is this manufactured/imported by someone else and simply bears the RWS logo?

Thanks in advance.

* From Fiocchi web

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 yO B, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  2. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy
    Expand Collapse
    Code-7A KUZ769

Simple answer: Brand-spankin' new production ammo for target shooting with a high price tag on it (almost $30 for a single box from Big 5 Sporting Goods).

As for a more complicated answer, as far as I can piece together is as follows:

Prior to WWII RWS headstamped 9mm ammo was made at the Rheinisch Westfaelische Munitionsfabrik A.G. in Nuremberg, Germany. There appears to have been some 9mm ammo made after the war with the RWS headstamp on the case, but the ammo was made by Dynamit Nobel A/G, Troisdorf, which was actually Gustav Genschow (Geco) during the war years. The Geco 9mm ammo that was readily available about 5 years ago was actually made by Dynamit Nobel.

Now we come to the current 9mm ammo headstamped RWS for the first time in about 50 years (+/-). The box indeed states "Made in Switzerland", so I doubt that the ammo was made in Germany. It wasn't too long ago that many of the European ammo makers were combined under on roof, that of Ruag Ammotec. So I wouldn't be suprised to see in the future ammo stamped "HP" (Hirtenberger Patronfabrik of Austria) being made in Switzerland or Germany and Geco being made in Switzerland (as the new RWS ammo is).

Those of us who collect ammo often have to do a lot of puzzle solving to figure out who really makes what ammo and for whom.

#2 Merkavaboy, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  3. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker
    Expand Collapse

That is pretty darn complicated and interesting info.

4. JohnKSa

JohnKSa
    Expand Collapse

RWS is currently an importer/distributer, not a manufacturer as far as I can tell. They market a variety of products from a wide range of companies.

5. yO B

yO B
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the information. I have come up with most of these names in my search as well, but I can't seem to tie them directly to the box of ammo I have. But it has to be someone, somewhere, and probably one of these names.

I think that is one thing (if true) that makes this seem more complicated than it is. I have a box of ammo branded RWS (and no name other than RUAG Ammotec) on box, and ammo stamped RWS 9mm, in a bullet weight (124gr) that I can't find info directly from RWS.

Every search leads to a name to a name to a name or company and company. I hate simple answers! :)

6. Smack

Smack
    Expand Collapse

7. Police Marksman

Police Marksman
    Expand Collapse

#7 Police Marksman, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  8. glocksterr

glocksterr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyGlockHippy

match ammo that runs 1180?

:dunno:

9. Police Marksman

Police Marksman
    Expand Collapse

10. glocksterr

glocksterr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyGlockHippy

its more likely CIP as that is what the S&B runs.

:cool:

11. G26Okie

G26Okie
    Expand Collapse

12. yO B

yO B
    Expand Collapse

Thank you. It looks like that site is brand-spankin'-new (hence the copywrite 2010). It wasn't there last year!

I also saw this ammo at WM the other week. Maybe it's spreading across the market now, because $16.97 isn't bad compared to what it was a while ago ($24+). The RWS-USA website seems to be new, so maybe we will see more of them.

13. sciolist

sciolist
    Expand Collapse

We have it at Wally's here too, but I have no need for 34 cent range ammo. I can get it cheaper than that from at least 5 other local sources.

Bring back the 20 cent WWB!

Actually... talk to me about 15 cent WWB. :)

14. mustachio

mustachio
    Expand Collapse

Wal-Mart has the RWS for $12.97 right now. I just picked up a few boxes for my G26. For that price, I will buy them, not for the $17 as previously noted. They must not be selling them, therefore the drop in price.
    Mustachio

15. rixtrix1

rixtrix1
    Expand Collapse

Same thing I noticed at Wally World today in Chandler AZ, so I picked up some. Boxes marked RUAG Ammotec AG Made in Switzerland. Sure looks a lot nicer than WWB. Hope it shoots better.

Sporting Goods Sales Manager said I probably couldn't use it at an indoor range," cuz it's steel instead of lead"?! I didn't think that comment deserved an answer.

RicG

#15 rixtrix1, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  16. chad1972

chad1972
    Expand Collapse

wal mart here has it for $12 box of 50, im going to get some tomorrow.

17. glocksterr

glocksterr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyGlockHippy

hee,hee!

18. BillR

BillR
    Expand Collapse

Yep, I grabbed 2 boxes tonight for $12.97 each.

19. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy
    Expand Collapse
    Code-7A KUZ769

RUAG's current ammo made and sold under the brand names of RWS, DAG and Geco use a mild steel jacket bullet with a lead core. Ranges that use steel plates for a backstop usually don't allow steel jacketed bullets to be used on the range.

20. novaDAK

novaDAK
    Expand Collapse

well, a price drop would explain why there were 6 boxes sitting on the shelf for a month or two that just sold last week in one day.