close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger SP101 .357

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by MoparMan1991, Aug 29, 2012.

1. March817

March817
    Expand Collapse

I absolutely love my 2.25", and it is the smallest I would personally go for a .357 revolver.
    Yet for a specialized CC revolver, I think a .38 makes more sense in J-frame or LCR flavors.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Berto

Berto
    Expand Collapse
    woo woo

For a small revolver that you actually intend to shoot a bunch, the SP101 is untouchable.

3. LeasB11

LeasB11
    Expand Collapse

I want one... i want a revolver in general, but I just don't see the point. less ammo, more weight, comparable ballistics to semi cartidges, not so nice DA triggers...

I just don't see a reason besides I want a revolver.

4. Berto

Berto
    Expand Collapse
    woo woo

You'll see when you don't have to chase or dodge brass, can load all varieties of .38sp and .357mag incl. shot loads, get better accuracy and doesn't require anything but ammo and a trigger pull to work.

5. NEOH212

NEOH212
    Expand Collapse
    Diesel Girl

The SP101 is one of the best and most rugged revolvers ever built.

It is a great concealed carry piece. The recoil is stout with full house magnum loads, but manageable and more so than a air weight revolver!

I've had mine for some time. I'm not sure how many rounds have been through it as I purchased it used. I know the gentleman that I bought it from and he said he shot quite a bit of ammo out of it weekly for several years before I had it.

I've put at least a thousand rounds of full power 125 grain magnum ammo through it in the years I've had it. It doesn't show any signs of wear or slop in the least.

It's one fine gun that you just can't go wrong with! Did I mention it's one of my favorite revolvers and one of my all time favorite guns? :cool:

#25 NEOH212, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  6. NEOH212

NEOH212
    Expand Collapse
    Diesel Girl

Well said sir! :wavey:

7. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin
    Expand Collapse

All good points! That being said, if one is going to carry a revolver, and, it's not going to be carried anywhere, but on the hip, I can't think of a better revolver to carry. If five shots are enough, nothing will do the job better, for the same size, as the .357. Because of the SP 100's weight, makes shooting .357 tolerable! Much more comfortable, then in the light weight, aluminum, and, polymer, wheel guns, being offered.

8. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk
    Expand Collapse
    Isaiah 53:4-9

Ugly as sin, and built like a tank. I guess the same thing to could be said about the glock as well.

#28 Kingarthurhk, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  9. Redstate

Redstate
    Expand Collapse

I have to respectfully disagree with regard to the aesthetics. I think the SP101 is great looking with wood grips.

10. 86brick

86brick
    Expand Collapse

Agreed.

11. MIB

MIB
    Expand Collapse

I have a sp101 that i bought brand new. When I first bought it I took it to the range and fired about 50 rds. with no problems.

A few months ago I was leaving for a road trip and decided to take it with me. I loaded five rounds into it and when I tried closing the wheel back into the gun it would not seat all the way back in. Upon closer inspection I noticed that 3 of the 5 rounds was not seated all the way into the cylinder. Thinking it may be the ammo I tried two other brands of ammo only to have the same result. I even tried the initial rounds in a different revolver and they did seat all the way.
    Turns out it was the little star wheel on top side of the ejector. It was slightly off and catching the edge of the round, preventing it from seating all the way into the cylinder like it's suppose to. I have no idea how this happened or got this way.
    I called Ruger and explained the issue. They sent me a mailing label so I could send it back to them for repair/replacement. Under warranty of course. Even though I purchased the gun about 5 years ago.
    The only time I ever shot the gun was the one time when I first purchased it so it's practically still brand new.
    They have had it for about a week now. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

12. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk
    Expand Collapse
    Isaiah 53:4-9

I think the Smith 686 is a work of art. However, it isn't as tough as the Ruger. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think the Ruger Alaskan is snazzy until you get beyond the two inch barrel, then instead of one uniform barrel the taper it so it looks like a dog with its pink thing hanging out. But, it is hard to beat a Ruger revolver for toughness.

13. spec357

spec357
    Expand Collapse

I have a S&W mod 60 no dash, pin barrel 38 spl that is my baby, but I have to be nice with it ammo wise. I have an sp101 2.5 barrel that will shoot anything up to the nastiest 357's. I love em both....But the Ruger is a little tank!...best and toughest revolver you can buy and still conceal carry.

14. Glock26z

Glock26z
    Expand Collapse

I own only Ruger revolvers from the Single Actions to the Double Actions all in .357 magnums, Even the SP191 in 2.25 inch barrel downn tothe Security,Speed Sixes and GPs,and LCRs. Being disabled,the Rugers are very well made guns.

15. Jack23

Jack23
    Expand Collapse
    I. B. Glockin'

I have a 3" stainless SP101 in my carry rotation and I love it. Not too big, not too small, not too heavy, not too light, well balanced and well made. Arguably the perfect revolver for CCW The .357 is ideal for personal defense and the SP101 was built to handle it properly.

It is only a 5-shot so I carry a couple of speed loaders ready to back me up if needed.

16. DonD

DonD
    Expand Collapse

Comparing the hottest rounds, nothing but the 10mm loaded to it's limits can equal the .357. Don