close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger SP101 .357

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by MoparMan1991, Aug 29, 2012.

1. MoparMan1991

MoparMan1991
    Expand Collapse

Okay so now the old man want's a revolver for CC. I don't know much about them as far as reputation, and was wanting to know if anyone has any advice on the Ruger SP101 .357. If you have any good info, I want it! If you have any dirt on it, I want it! So far I haven't read any negative reviews online but figured i'd go the extra mile and get some input from the brothers and sisters on Glock Talk.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 MoparMan1991, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  2. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Its a very solid revolver.

3. MLittle

MLittle
    Expand Collapse

It's my favorite revolver and I have 10. Built like a bulldog, easy to shoot. The only real drawback is that it is really too heavy for pocket carry if that is what your Dad intends to do. I have the bobbed hammer version and I believe it weighs in at around 25 oz.

4. itstime

itstime
    Expand Collapse

Two good posts to start this off. So well I have nothing to ad. Ruger makes a solid revolver. Meaning they tend to be overbuilt. With that you get mass and weight.

I wouldn't pocket carry one. And I tend to shove more into my pockets than most.

Maybe look into an LCR. My class 3 dealer carries one in 357. Loves it. Told me he beats the crap out of it practicing drills weekly. Put thousands of rounds through his.

Just an idea but the SP101 is a great revolver. Just a bit heavy and big.

5. 86brick

86brick
    Expand Collapse

My dad recently picked one up and I must say it is an awesome revolver. Because of the extra heft shooting .38 spl out of it is very nice and shooting .357 Magnum is still very manageable. I also like the factory grip, fits my big hands nice. I am seriously considering getting the Bobbed hammer version for CC duty.

6. tacops5372

tacops5372
    Expand Collapse

Bought a Ruger sp101 2 1/2 in. for mother in law. She's in her 60's and first DA pull was kind of tough. Trigger has sharp edges. After taking it to my lgs and talked to their gun smith. Had a trigger job done, and trigger edges smooth down. Now it's a shooter. Very accurate and now I want one..

7. Arc Angel

Arc Angel
    Expand Collapse
    Deus Vult!

My wife carries an SP-101 in 357 Mag. with a hammer spur, and a 3 inch barrel. She's able to engage effectively with it out to 15 yards, and beyond. (Which is good for a small pistol!)

It's a very solid little 357. The advantage is that it's heavy enough to do a lot of practicing with. The disadvantages are only two: (1) It's too heavy (and too large) to carry inside a typical pants pocket; and (2) it's VERY DIFFICULT to find a nice holster for this little 357.

Because she doesn't wear belts, my wife prefers a paddle design; and nobody but Galco offers a paddle for the SP-101; and the Galco paddle holster is a cumbersome beast with, of all things, a thumb snap on top. (Just to slow down your draw!)

Which reminds me: I haven't checked with Blade-Tech, yet! The SP-101 is a very nice (serious) revolver for self-defense. It's enough cartridge in a frame size that is relatively easy to aim and fire. There are no mechanical drawbacks to a 101. You might want to change the factory slab grips to a Hogue Monogrip, though.

(If, 'Image Shack' were working, I'd post some pictures.) ;)

8. DPris

DPris
    Expand Collapse

Sharps are gone on current SP hammers & triggers with the new MIM parts.
    No longer an issue.
    Denis

9. DonD

DonD
    Expand Collapse

If your father is a neophyte regarding shooting, I'd say that full snort .357s in the SP101 might be disturbing to him and keep him from becoming proficient. I say that because there is a large difference between some ammo labeled as .357 and stuff like Buffalo Bore, sometimes more than 200fps shy of BB ammo.

I like my SP101 and carry it IWB. As the others have said, it's too large and heavy for pocket carry unless you're really large and tall and even then, it'll wear a hole in your pocket in short order.

If your father doesn't want to carry a bigger load, get the LCR but even then, the lighter weight might make .38 +P seem hot to him. Good luck. Don

10. glock2740

glock2740
    Expand Collapse
    Gun lover.

Great gun. I bought my Mom the 2.25" version with the CT laser grips a couple of years ago for her CC/HD gun. And recently bought myself one that had been to Gemini Custom. She keeps her's loaded with .38+P's and mine is full of 125gr Gold Dots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. MoparMan1991

MoparMan1991
    Expand Collapse

How much were the laser grips? Do you recommend .38+P or .357 loads?

12. fivestar

fivestar
    Expand Collapse

I had a 3" version for awhile. It was, and still is, my only revolver experience. I liked it, although I think I tried to do to much with it. I should have either gotten a 4" GP, or the 2" SP. I ended up selling it earlier this year. Eventually I'll probably get a 4" GP just to have.

13. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe
    Expand Collapse
    you savvy?

very well built gun that is heavy for its size and limited capasity.

14. DonD

DonD
    Expand Collapse

That does make it a more enjoyable gun at the range and moderates the recoil of hot ammo. Don

15. glock2740

glock2740
    Expand Collapse
    Gun lover.

It's the model that comes with laser grips. Both guns are .357 Magnums, but she prefers the .38+P loads over the .357 Mag loads. It really just depends on who's shooting it and what they are comfortable shooting.

16. gruntmedik

gruntmedik
    Expand Collapse
    Honk Honk
    CLM

I have a 3" SP101, and I really like it. Bought it with the intention of my wife being able to use it. It fits her well, and I have no problems with it either.

17. Redstate

Redstate
    Expand Collapse

I hesitantly purchased a used SP101, 2 1/4". Wow, what a mistake it would have been to pass it up. Awesome revolver. I used it in a local ICORE match at quite a disadvantage due to the 5 vs. 6 round capacity. I had a great time with it. Extremely accurate for a snub. I shot mostly .38 out of it, with some .357 as well. I don't find the 357 unmanageable or painful to shoot for me.

18. tc2129

tc2129
    Expand Collapse

As others have said,, they are great. Built tough, and easy to shoot. I've put 357 and 38 through mine with no problems.

19. MoparMan1991

MoparMan1991
    Expand Collapse

Fantastic. I guess we will be looking at one of these for my old man when he returns from Iowa City.

20. barth

barth
    Expand Collapse
    six barrels

Depends on how your dad intends to carry.
    SP101s are great, but a little large and heavy for pocket carry - IMHO.
    I prefer the smaller lighter S&W 640 myself.
    S&W guns generally have better double action triggers too.

On a belt, a bobbed 3" SP101 would be great.
    Make sure and look at the new Ruger LCR too.

If belt carry is an option?
    You might also consider full size 4" 357.
    Rugers GP100 and S&W 686 are best of breed.

I personally own two S&W 357 revolvers.
    640-1 and a 3" heavy barrel 65-3.
    With a good belt the 640 rides in the pocket nicely.
    On a belt the 3" Smith (Special K) is the ultimate CC revolver for me.
    [​IMG]

#20 barth, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012