Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Ruger mini 14

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by pspez, Feb 21, 2013.

1. pspez

May 3, 2006
    Coconut Creek, Fl
    What do you all think of the Mini? I am really considering the tactical with synthetic stock and alloy steel barrel. Your thoughts. Thanks
    ruffterrain likes this.
  2. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    I own both, get a decent AR15, much better rifle. More accurate, more customizable, you can get spare parts and fix it yourself if it breaks.

3. The_Gun_Guru

The_Gun_Guru Build the Wall

Solid guns with a reputation for quality and reliability. I picked mine up from Bud's for $499 + transfer fee. Well-built for years of service!

Good luck,

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    ruffterrain likes this.
  4. countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    I got rid of my AR and picked this up used (Made a profit on the deal to boot) it does everything I expected the AR to do, but I have heard that the newer models are even better in the accuracy dept. I was pondering one when the "panic" set in

BTW it is "Doggie (Kane) Approved" :supergrin:
  5. stopatrain

stopatrain Lifetime Member

Aug 28, 2005
    I like my Mini and my AR, get both and enjoy both.
  6. BenjiEDF

Jun 15, 2012
    It's a great rifle though I'd rather have the ranch rifle with synthetic stock and stainless. The stock sights are great on the mini-14 and an 18.5" barrel would be perfect. I don't think the flash hider is necessary and actually looks a little cheesy on Mini's to me but that's subjective. Magazines and ammo will be hard to find... but it's your call. I have an AR but I'd be just as happy with a Mini honestly, my desire to play barbie doll with accessories really isn't that strong.
  7. LuckyNemo

Dec 12, 2012
    Been thinking of one myself
  8. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    +1 on the new stainless ranch rifle with synthetic stock.
    The new models are beefier and more accurate.

I wanted one but waited too long and they all vaporized.
    Picked up a Arsenal SLR-106U 5.56 NATO AK instead.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  9. Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Love it for what it is: Decently accurate knock around rifle of high reliability. No bells, no whistles. It is not an AR, and shouldn't be compared to one.

I think they are over priced for what they are in a big way. But if you want a rifle built around the M1 system, in .223, It's great.

Accuracy: Word is new ones are better. An Accustrut will fix it up if it isn't.

If the Mini 14 came with an Accustrut at 599, it would outsell the AR platform most days for a lot of years...At the usual 799 without it - meh.

General comment: Always get Ruger mags (expensive) But how many do you really need?

Too many people try to compare it to the AR - which it isn't and will never be. And a lot of times you don't WANT it to be.
    SJ 40 likes this.
  10. The_Gun_Guru

The_Gun_Guru Build the Wall

That's what attracted me to the Mini-14, the flash hider.Well, that and the bayonet lug.:supergrin:

Well-said! I hate when people compare two completely different guns. I wonder if they also compare the Mini-30 to the AK....:rofl:

It just doesn't make any sense.

11. TexasVine

Feb 9, 2010
    Central Texas
    I like the Ruger Mini. As stated in one of the responses, the newer ones appear to be more accurate. I would not compare it with the AR platform. It's a unique rifle that fits a niche.
    Unfortunately, prices have been driven up on the used ones due to the recent paniced market.
  12. countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Oh, FYI the flash hider on mine ISN'T there for the obvious purpose, it actually helps with barrel harmonics. I didn't believe it when someone suggested it on the "Perfect union" forum but it worked.
  13. donmor53

Jan 4, 2013
    I've had my original 181 series Mini since 1979. At $179 for a Mini vs $699 for an that time it was a reasonable deal. Not so much any more. Besides...then the Minis had beautifull hand oiled walnut stocks. Pin point accuracy was questionable for many least they looked good and were durable.

While I wouldn't sell my Mini...I would not buy another for the prices they want for them. Even before the recent craziness...
  14. Long time owner of both. Go with the AR. It is more accurate out of the box, cheaper and more available quality magazines. If you want to make a change, AR platform is more adaptable.

If you want to take to the range for a day, the Mini 14 bbl heats up too quickly and loses accuracy fast.
  15. ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Long time owner of both. The Mini-14 is not an AR and shouldn't be compared to one. The new production guns are accurate, especially the tapered barrel guns. Mags are more expensive for the true Ruger mags, which I recommend using these only. If you like the looks, grab one. They are a neat gun.
  16. WayneJessie

Jan 12, 2013
    I'd take a late-model Mini over an AR for my needs anyday.
    FLIPPER 348 likes this.
  17. BUICKSPEC6231

Dec 31, 2012
    This is going to vary of personal preference. It is like the old Ford vs. Chevy debate. If the AK is a Ford and an AR is a Chevy, than a Mini-14 is a Dodge. I like the Mini-14 a lot.
  18. mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    I bought a mini 14 tactical model with the 16 inch barrel and flash hider last year and love it. I grew up shooting my fathers 180 series mini 14 back in the 80's so it is nice to have a modern improved version of a gun I grew up shooting.

The newer minis have thicker profile barrels and better sights than in the past. The older models had thin barrels than were reported to have a shift in POI as the barrel heated up. The thicker barrels are a direct response to that issue. They also did away with the single blade front sight and non removable rear sight. The newer ranch rifles also eject to the right instead out the top like the 180 series did.
  19. AZ Jeff

AZ Jeff

Aug 20, 2003
    middle of AZ
    I bought my first Mini in 1979, and the price you quote is about right. I bought several AR's between 1976 and 1982, and while they were more expensive than the Mini, NONE of them ever cost anywhere NEAR $699. They were closer to between $200 and $300.
  20. JimIsland

Aug 1, 2011
    Spot on....I have an older model Mini 14 and I love it for what it is. No, it's not as accurate as my 6.8 SPC but for many years it's always gone bang when I pulled the trigger...always.