close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ruger LCP vs Glock Sub-Compacts

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Restless28, Feb 11, 2011.

1. How does the Ruger LCP stack up against the Glock sub-compacts like the 26 and 27, as far as a comfortable carry gun in all climates?

I'm not asking about ballistics. I'm asking about the carry opinions from owners about the LCP.

Is is reliable? Do you like your LCP?

2. If you tapped about 4 LCP's together, you might equal the size & weight of a G26. Completely apples and oranges.

My LCP has been flawless for several hundred rounds. It is probably one of the easiest guns to carry ever made.

3. Trey83

Trey83

Feb 28, 2010
    My LCP is the only gun I own that I can't imagine letting go. Mine has been flawless for hundreds of rounds after installing wolff springs and polishing the feed ramp. It is significantly smaller than a a Glock 26.

4. frank_drebin

frank_drebin 1-man flash mob

Jan 15, 2009
    No comparison. The LCP wins hands-down in a "Comfort of Carry" comparison. When you are sitting in you booth at the restaurant, sitting in your cube at work, standing in line at the bank, sitting in a college classroom, walking down Peachtree Street for a night at the Fox, etc... and someone decides to start shooting everyone he sees the benefits of the LCP fade quickly in to the darkness. Which one do you want when your life depends on it. What level of risk are you willing to take?

5. Trey83

Trey83

Feb 28, 2010
    I would want to have the LCP in my pocket than the 26 that is in the night stand. I don't recommend the LCP as a primary carry gun but there are times when one might not even be able to conceal a G26 and that is where the LCP comes into play.

6. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    The difference is night and day my friend.

[​IMG]

Glock 27 on the right, Ruger LCP on the left

[​IMG]

7. There's no doubt that the LCP is better than nothing or even better than a knife. On balance...I don't consider the LCP (or any of the 22, 32, or 380 "mouse guns") to be an adequate SD firearm.

In the rare situation that I encounter a life-threatening situation...I want something a hell of a lot more serious than a Ruger LCP.

8. Agreed 100%...its not even a comparison..the LCP is a lot easier and better to carry..but then you have the caliber issue anyways..but its like asking whats easier/better to pocket carry..a snubnose concealed hammer revolver or a 4" police Duty model..

9. Great picutre..the 27/26 platform for those that can handle Glocks is a good platform..but simply its not in the same category as the LCP for CONCEALABILITY/EASE of carry.

10. frank_drebin

frank_drebin 1-man flash mob

Jan 15, 2009
    Each person has their own level of acceptable risk. I admit, I carry a P3AT from time to time but I know going in to it that it is not "ideal".

11. The Ruger LCP is a small feather.
    The Glock 26 is a medium brick.

I like both, but (in rounded numbers from memory):

Ruger = 9oz empty
    Glock = 20oz empty

Ruger slide = .75"
    Glock slide = 1"

Ruger overall width = .8"
    Glock overall width = 1.2"

Ruger overall length = 5.2"
    Glock overall length = 6.2"

I don't know how the numbers read to you, but in actuality it is a big difference. Also, the shape of the slide on the Ruger is more rounded at the corners than the Glock.

In general, all other things equal, I'd say in summer t-shirt carry:

Ruger doesn't print IWB.
    Glock does print IWB.

Ruger does easily pocket carry.
    Glock doesn't easily pocket carry.

Something like that :) The conclusion from that should be that the LCP is easier to carry. But the Glock is still easy to carry, you just need to accept the weight and wear a cover shirt.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  12. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

Mar 19, 2010
    Ozarks
    The pictures above should show which is going to carry and conceal easier between a subcompact and an LCP. You said you weren't asking about ballistics, but a better comparison would be the new LC9 against the G26, at least you'd be comparing the same calibers.

13. I'm a bit taken aback by the size differences. :wow:

14. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Mar 17, 2008
    PRK
    The size differences are way more dramatic holding them side by side than reading the numbers.

15. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

Apr 23, 2009
    The LCP is very much smaller and lighter, BUT . . .

. . . I am a medical professional living in hot, humid south Florida, and I have never been without my G26 in the two years since I bought it. I have not encountered a situation where I could be legally armed but could not conceal the G26. Light sport coats, tail-out shirts, and so forth work fine for concealment with a good IWB holster and belt. It definitely can be done.

16. Well, I'm struggling to like the G27, to be honest. I've tried the GAP plate, a Pierce +0, and the regular mag. I've tried the different backstraps, too.

I've been spoiled with the HK USP grip. It's like night and day. Even though the USP is much bigger, it's more comfortable and points naturally for me.

I've yet to find the "compromise gun". I've had a G19, a G22, a G21, a G27 (now), and, only the G22 seemed "somewhat comfortable".

I'm ready to give up.

17. I sold my lcp because I like my Bersa conceal carry 380 and S&W 642 j/frame better for pocket carry. I never warmed up to it. Sorry your having issues with the g27 , I own and carry one regularly . If it's the larger grip or grip angle then you might need to search elsewhere. A good subcompact glock alternative is a thinner Walther PPS 9mm or 40sw . I want the 9mm version myself.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  18. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    I went with a small 9mm over the even smaller .380ACP.

I just feel more confident with a caliber that is 66% more powerful when my life in on the line.

19. Jakemug

Jakemug

Jan 14, 2006
    South Carolina
    With a Nemesis front pocket holster, my P3AT (same thing as an LCP, especially size-wise) simply replaced my wallet and is extremely comfortable. Jeans, slacks, it doesn't matter. It's always there, doesn't move around, doesn't fall out, and draws quickly. I know I couldn't do this with any Glock, just too wide and heavy in comparison. Here's a pic for a little size reference:

[​IMG]

Again, speaking of front pocket carry only, there is no comparison.

20. Manofprint

Manofprint

Aug 27, 2008
    South FL
    I have them both. Both r great. I prefer to carry the glock.
    But I usually toss the LCP in the pocket