close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger LCP report

Discussion in 'Ruger Club' started by mmcbeat, May 4, 2008.

1. mmcbeat

mmcbeat
    Expand Collapse

I bought a Ruger LCP at the gun show yesterday and took it to the range today.

First of all, I promise NOT to tell you how many rounds I "sent flawlessly down the pipe", NOT to tell you what I paid "OTD", NOT to tell you that I shot 1" groups at 75 yards, NOT to refer to it as "my Elsie Pea", and finally I promise NOT to post pictures of my targets.

CONS:
    The gun is not fun to shoot, definitely not something I will be taking to the range on a regular basis when I feel like having a good time.

The sights are very small and the sight radius is short, the gun is not very accurate.

Capacity is only 6 + 1.

Slide does not lock back when empty.

Only came with one mag (I would much rather have an extra mag than the cute little gun rug and lock that came with the gun).

Its a mouse caliber, .380 ACP.

PROS:
    Very small, light and concealable.

Price is somewhat reasonable.

So far, it seems to be reliable.

All things considered, I am happy with the purchase. Its pretty much what I expected. I am not kidding myself by thinking this will be my primary carry gun. It will be used as a back up or when everything else is too large to carry. I plan to shoot another 100 rounds to make sure it is reliable then it will not be shot much, maybe 7 rounds a month (the mag + 1) just to make sure it still works and to maintain some degree of profieciency on my part.

I recommend this gun if you recognize its limitations and do not expect too much from it.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. positivelymaybe

positivelymaybe
    Expand Collapse

Fired my new LCP today and it is small(very) and you have to hang on a bit because of the size but its very very controllable and so far after 100 rounds it works!!

3. buddah

buddah
    Expand Collapse

"Positevlymaybe" where did you get your LCP from. I am on Long Island, NY and none of the dealers have any in stock yet. A few buddies of mine are still on waiting lists.

4. positivelymaybe

positivelymaybe
    Expand Collapse

I got mine at D&F in Brooklyn. He had two in stock last week. One is now MINE!

5. buddah

buddah
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info. I bought my G-27 from D&F a few yrs. back.

6. Truckee

Truckee
    Expand Collapse
    Aging Goat

Can someone explain why Ruger would incorporate a slide lock in its LCP design, but not have it lock back on the last round? I have one on order... I think I'll just stay with my P3AT.

I have several -older- Ruger arms that I like very much. However, my new Ruger arrived askew in its stock and has a plastic trigger group.

What's going on at Ruger?

7. Carlson1

Carlson1
    Expand Collapse

Bought 2 of them for BUG for wife and I. I am waiting on the second one to get here this week before a range trip. It seems better made than the Kel Tec.

8. Truckee

Truckee
    Expand Collapse
    Aging Goat

Well, that's what I thought. Now, I'm not too sure. I "thought" it locked back on the last round; a main reason I ordered one.

I noticed that Ruger's extractor is like the KT Gen-1. Don't know if that's a better extractor or not, but I think that I like it better.

9. sjones

sjones
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I just bought one also,it went through 120 rounds without any problems but as the 1st poster said,its not a fun gun to take to the range.It will be my edc when I can't carry my G-19.no complaints so far.sj

10. tommom

tommom
    Expand Collapse

Hi everyone,

I've been a member for some time but this is my first post.

Truckee,

I would like to address your concerns.

I suspect that the slide does not lock back for the same reason it does not lock back on the KT P-3AT. This is merely because the gun is too thin to accommodate the .380 barrel AND and internal slide lock.

Ruger likely decided to add the manual slide lock as this would be very useful for clearing certain types of jams. Double feeds come into mind where in order to effectively clear the jam, the slide needs to be locked back before the magazine can be manually extracted from the gun.

As for the extractor, in my opinion, the Ruger and first gen KT extractor is far superior to the KT second gen design. The KT 2nd gen design appears to be merely a method of cutting the cost of manufacturing the gun (as was the switch from hexagonal bar stock to round bar stock for the slide). In the KT second gen design, when the screw holding in the extractor starts to back itself out out due to the repeated recoil, the gun will fail to extract the spent cartridge and will jam. This happened on my 2nd gen P-3AT after approximately 400 rounds. It was remedied by removing, cleaning, and re-inserting the screw with fresh loc-tite. However, after this I did not trust the gun to be reliable. I sold it and convinced the guy who bought my P32 to sell the P32 (first gen with proper extractor) back to me. Sure it is a weaker caliber but it has been totally reliable. I would love to have a KT PF-9 but refuse to buy one as it uses the same KT 2nd gen extractor.

With that said, I have been on the waiting list for the LCP for a few weeks now. Mine should be in in the next week or so. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

11. Truckee

Truckee
    Expand Collapse
    Aging Goat

Tommom,
    Welcome to a feller Virginian! Nice first post to bring ya out of the closet... thanks much for your input. I look forward to seeing ya around the board.

I've pondered the reasons for Ruger's slide lock. My musings have included your thoughts.

According to KT, and yes I asked them, you're correct that the P3AT does not have enough 'room' to incorporate a slide lock. Therefore, KT didn't even give it a second thought and omitted one altogether.

Ruger, on the other hand, decided that they had room for some variation on the slide stop and put one in its design. Now, I haven't looked at the LCP other than in pictures. But, the slide stop seems to, at least, line up with the back of the magazine. I just wonder "why," since the lever is already there... that Ruger couldn't interface it with the magazine follower and create a real last shot slide stop...? I mean, it's there... unlike KT where one doesn't even exist... so, what's the problem? Seems like Ruger simply stopped short. I understand that it may not be that simple... here again, maybe it is just that simple.

Onward to the jam thing. If I have a .380 that double feeds on me in a fight, I'm not looking for the slide-stop fix. I'm performing a phase I or II clear drill. If both fail, I'm ditching the pistol and opting for the Nikes. Therefore, Ruger could just have well left its slide stop out of the design.

Thanks for your experience with the KT Gen-2 extractor. Many have agreed with you that it isn't an improvement.

Please do offer your feedback when your LCP arrives. I'm looking forward to reading your critique.

Keep safe and "welcome" again,
    Truck

12. tommom

tommom
    Expand Collapse

Truckee,

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I would agree with you on the actions to be taken if my .380 were to jam. If I'm using this little gun in the first place, it is because I couldn't carry one of my primary guns in a larger caliber with real sights, grips, mass, etc... or I had to resort to this as my BUG. In either case, whoever I was pointing it at when it jammed would likely be very close to me so I would have to agree that I would likely not be investing the necessary time to clear a complicated jam. More than likely I'd try to poke them in the eye with it and do my best to get the heck out of there.

As for the mechanics of the slide stop, looking at the LCP parts drawing in their manual, this appears to take the KT concept on the ejector (a small steel set into a cutout milled into the aluminum frame) and extend it to the left through a cutout in the plastic grip. My P32 by comparison has a legitimate stamped steel slide stop mounted inside the frame with a pivot and a spring to keep it in the down position until the mag follower contacts it. To put a similar "real" slide stop in the P-3AT/LCP would definitely require the gun(s) to be widened slightly.

The more I think about it the more the LCP slide stop comes across as more of a gimick to "one up" the KT. I don't mind as my primary reasons for purchasing are the extractor configuration and the added mass over the P-3AT. The P-3AT was just a bit too jumpy in my hand for me to be totally comfortable with it as I would usually have to re-adjust my grip after about every three or four rounds because the gun wanted to climb out of my hand under recoil. I would have tried one of those rubber grip sleeves if I hadn't had the problems with the extractor coming loose.

Take care.

13. Truckee

Truckee
    Expand Collapse
    Aging Goat

Thanks again Tommom for your outlook on things.

Yeah, that was kinda my point with Ruger's slide stop, "gimick." Or maybe Ruger's attempt to avert being sued by KT.

And yep, the P3AT is jumpy, agreed. But, like you say, I carry it as a BUG... when I carry it at all. So, I figure in a BUG situation, I'm not really worried about it jumping around in my grip. Under that threat and punch, I doubt that four rounds will be cleaned out of it anyhow... and if so, I'm scared enough, and close enough to target, that a little movement is the least of my frets.

LOL on punchin' an eye out with a jammed pocket gun. I was thinking more along the lines of crammin' it up the BG where his sun ain't shinin'!

Take care and good to see a "Homey" on the boards,
    Truck

14. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip
    Expand Collapse

IMHO, the LCP slide stop is for administrative handling/range use...our range wants guns empty, mags out, and slides back/cylinders open before anybody goes downrange.
    If I were a betting man, I'd bet Ruger tried having a last-round slidestop function, and had some kind of trouble...the slide staying back with rounds in the gun, or not staying back while empty. So they just made it manual and called it good; not a big deal.
    Moon

15. Truckee

Truckee
    Expand Collapse
    Aging Goat

Good thoughts moon... you may be on the trail. Doubtful Ruger really cared about the range rules. But, your second idea might just be on the mark... heck, your first one probably is too.

The lock isn't a big deal, I agree. However, it was one of the things that had me taking a look at the LCP. I hoped, and after reading the truth, I :crying: lol

Later,
    Truck

16. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip
    Expand Collapse

Truck, it might just be a CYA thing as well; in case of a negligent discharge while the gun is being handled, Ruger can plausibly claim the gun should have been at slide lock.
    My P3AT of course has no stop, and there are times I wish it did, but it's not a deal breaker either way.
    Moon

17. rlord

rlord
    Expand Collapse

I picked my LCP up this week and fired about 100 rounds through it and had a lot of spent cartridge jams. I brought it home and field stripped it,cleaned it up
    and will try it again tomorrow. Also I thought getting the pin back in was a pain in the butt, hope that gets easier over time. The trigger has a loooooooong pull
    without the Crimson trace I couldn't of hit a barn with it. However with the laser
    I was able to be really accurate at 30 and 40 feet. Quite concerned with the amount of jams on the initial shoot. The good news is my stock Glock 33 now feel like it has a hair trigger and I now REALLLLLLLY appreciate it's , feel, action and reliablity.
    I bought the LCP because we RV a lot with dogs and are walking them in Rest Areas a lot and needed something to carry in the pocket. It is much smaller than my wallet and smooth getting in and out.

18. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

I think the slide stop on the LCP is brilliant. On a dedicated CCW I prefer to NOT have something that I can accidentally activate. Especially, with a gun this small. Ruger was nice enough to install the slide lock but made it so it’s impossible to activate by accident. When you want to load the gun I prefer to load from slide lock and release the slide so it goes forward as if after recoil. This eliminates “riding the slide” issues when loading the first round.

Having only looked at the P3AT and having shot the LCP only 50rds I will say this. From a esthetic point of view the LCP is a much, much nicer finished gun. I had zero issues with the first 50rds as well. The trigger is a DAO revolver trigger. For what it is designed to be it’s a perfectly acceptable trigger. If you have no experience with a revolver it might be difficult but for me it was fine. It comes packed with heavy grease so it does need to be cleaned before the first firing. I cleaned and dry fired mine a bunch before my first range trip. If you look at the design of the LCP you can see it’s a well designed pistol. I don’t know what the KelTec’s insides look like but to me Ruger did a great job on this pistol. I need more .380 ammo before it gets a complete thumbs up but so far I am pleased and impressed with this pistol.

19. den888

den888
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the report !

20. Truckee

Truckee
    Expand Collapse
    Aging Goat

Hi Colorado.

I had no doubts that the LCP was a "finer" pistol than the KT. I confirmed such when my LCP arrived... which btw, I owned for only an hour or so. A partner wanted it for his BUG. I gave it to him without ever shooting it.

I've been around long enough that my first issued was a S&W .357 (thanks for the reminder, dang I'm old!) Yep, familiar with a revolver trigger. A reason I snicker when others complain about the Glock trigger.

I suspect the slide lock on such a small piece could easily be accidentally activated. That agreed, I've shot another partner's P32. I've not incidentally shoved it into slide lock; albeit a "less violent" pistol than the .380.

Thank you much for the feedback and review.
    Keep safe,
    Truck

#20 Truckee, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009