close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger LCP issues

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by SkyyUniverse, Feb 17, 2012.

1. SkyyUniverse

SkyyUniverse
    Expand Collapse

Just my experience. Bought a brand new LCP today and already made arrangements for shipment back to Ruger for repair.
    Shot 1 box, 50 rounds, to break it in. During cleaning after noticed small piece of the metal rail on lower missing. Gun still functioned, but eventually the slide going over this gap in the rail would be an issue.

After repair gun will be sold and no more Rugers bought.

Size and weight sure was great on that gun. Just cant put a 27 in the pocket like that, oh well.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Andrewsky

Andrewsky
    Expand Collapse

Get a Walther PPK. All steel.

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine
    Expand Collapse

Got a picture? Or describe where the rail is missing.

4. rahrah12

rahrah12
    Expand Collapse

Do you know if this section was missing when you bought it or it broke while shooting?

5. Paul7

Paul7
    Expand Collapse
    New Guy

Mine was so bad Ruger finally gave me a refund. It's Kel-tec replacement has been fine. And I'm not a Ruger basher, my LCR is great.

#5 Paul7, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  6. SkyyUniverse

SkyyUniverse
    Expand Collapse

the LCP is already enroute to Arizona. So never took any pics. The missing piece appeared to be a "flake" or "chunk" of the bottom section of slide rail.

The gun fired 50 rounds flawlessly and cycled fine. But it was a new gun and I think eventually the slide would have had some issues riding over a gap in it's rail.

I did field strip gun before shooting but only saw the issue after when detail cleaning.

Ruger said expect 3 to 4 weeks for repair.

7. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo
    Expand Collapse

I carry a G26 in a Desantis Nemesis in my pocket every day while working. Not a perfect draw like the LCP but it can be made to work if pocket carry is the only way. The G27 would be no different. Our LCP went back for repair and has since been flawless. I've carried it in my shirt pocket.

8. Narkcop

Narkcop
    Expand Collapse

I have an LCP that has been flawless and it is my hot weather pocket gun. Lately I been carrying a S&W Bodyguard that is also flawless after 200 rounds.

9. argy1182

argy1182
    Expand Collapse

No issues here with my LCP. I pocket carry it daily.

10. vtbluegrass

vtbluegrass
    Expand Collapse

If you still want a pocket 380 and your confidence is shaken in the LCP I encourage you to look at the Taurus TCP. I am not normally a Taurus fan by any means and will take a Ruger revolver any day over the Taurus ones on looks alone but they really did the TCP right. Bigger trigger loop and the grip design for me is much more comfortable to shoot when at the range. Pick one up, forget preconcieved notions about Taurus, and you will like it.

11. AZ Jeff

AZ Jeff
    Expand Collapse

Do you customarily make it a policy of never buying another product from a manufacturer if you get a defect in a single one? Sounds like a drastic over-reaction.

12. rohanreginald

rohanreginald
    Expand Collapse
    Novice

You should have bought a Kel-Tec PF9. Mine is perfect.

13. SkyyUniverse

SkyyUniverse
    Expand Collapse

AZ Jeff, for some products I give 2nd and 3rd chances. For a life or death item like a gun I don't. A broken spring on a mag is one thing or some other minor thing.
    To me it was a quality control issue.
    If I bought a new Glock and had to return for repair after 1 day I would sell it also.

Either way it cost me confidence in the gun.

I will make sure it's fixed and functional before selling it.

To the guns credit it did fire and cycle with a rail issue. But again, yes I'm that picky.

Call it overreaction if you like. I call it expecting what I paid for.

14. ColdSteelNail

ColdSteelNail
    Expand Collapse

Any gun can have a problem. Don't be to fast to count out Ruger. Judge them on how they handle the situation.

15. travis34769

travis34769
    Expand Collapse

Thats right.

16. CorkyE

CorkyE
    Expand Collapse

Lot of us have no problems with that Ruger. One (LEO) friend has a Kel Tec that's about as reliable as a politician and another has a Taurus that like you, sent back after first outing on the range.

17. madAB

madAB
    Expand Collapse

I have had not had a single issue with my LCP. It's a great pocket gun in my opinion. I can understand your frustration but, like you mentioned, the gun did not have any malfunctions. I wouldn't be so quick to discount the gun. . . let alone Ruger as company.