close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger LCP Issues

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ArmedMikeL, Feb 15, 2012.

1. ArmedMikeL

ArmedMikeL
    Expand Collapse

Well darn. I purchased an LCP with Lasermax laser and took it to the range for the first time on VDay.

Shot 150 rounds of Federal and Magtech ammo.

1. I had 4 FTE which were in the first 30 or 40 rounds. All cleared up after 30 to 40 rounds.

2. I had about 3 times where I had to push the slide closed because the round would get stuck in the feed ramp. All that cleared up after about 40 rounds.

3. Within the 150 rounds though I had an serious issue.
    I would load a magazine and rack the slide. A round would load in the chamber. I will pull the trigger and no pressure on the trigger. I would eject a live round, load another round in the chamber and the trigger would function properly. The way I would rack the slide would be pull it all the way back fully and sling shot it and a round would load.

4. Laser would go dim and then bright after I shot it. That happened about 3 times. The CS lady said that it probally needs new batteries.

I called Ruger and they emailed me a shipping label. It shipped out today. The customer service lady told me once they received the pistol it would be about 2 weeks.

Arrrggggggggg. I really wanted this pistol to work right out of the box so I feel good about it.

Any advise on the issue #3 ?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 ArmedMikeL, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  2. battlin bulldog

battlin bulldog
    Expand Collapse
    sand

How many times did problem number 3 occur? ive never heard of that happening. Sorry about your troubles. Ruger will stand behind their product. Its just to bad because it will be hard to trust the lcp for a while and they really are great little guns.

3. Feanor

Feanor
    Expand Collapse

They're just not "great little" guns. They are okay, but the truth is that they've had numerous problems with them, some work well, some don't! Regardless I can't make out what the OP is trying to say because his post is somewhat hard to understand.

I do understand that many dearly love their little Ruger LCP pistols, however these problems are actually somewhat widespread, one of the main problems being that the vast majority rarely shoot them, or only shot a box or two through them and are then satisfied, which is inadequate for properly vetting these mechanisms.

It sounds as though he is trying to describe a defective safety activation, or perhaps a sear issue.

4. ArmedMikeL

ArmedMikeL
    Expand Collapse

#3 happened about 4 times.

I would load a magazine with 6 rounds and rack the slide. A round would load in the chamber. I pulled the trigger and no pressure on the trigger. It was like the firing pin was not cocked. I would pull back the slide and a live round would eject out. Another round would load in the chamber and the trigger would function properly. I would shoot the remaining 5 rounds from the mag.

5. rozz421

rozz421
    Expand Collapse

Sorry to hear about your lcp. I bought my father and I one each last year and they have been flawless. Im sure ruger will get you sorted out.

6. sourdough44

sourdough44
    Expand Collapse

Just to add you can go to the elsiepeaforum to get into detailed LCP discussions. It's a forum almost dedicated to the Ruger LCP, & a few others.

7. ArmedMikeL

ArmedMikeL
    Expand Collapse

k Thanks I will post something there too

8. Lowjiber

Lowjiber
    Expand Collapse

I have one with hundreds of practice rounds through the barrel...no issues.

I have several Ruger pistols and can testify that Ruger is very good at taking care of problems.

Below is my LCP in its Blackhawk #1 pocket-holster.

9. Pops 1

Pops 1
    Expand Collapse

I own a LCP also with no problems at all. Ruger will take care of you. Pops

10. ArmedMikeL

ArmedMikeL
    Expand Collapse

Me too. I sure they will get all the bugs worked out. I feel confident that they will make it as good or better than new. Just wish that it would work out of the box. I like my pistols to be perfect. :(

#10 ArmedMikeL, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  11. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer
    Expand Collapse

#1 would bug me. If either the extractor or the chamber were dirty, or the ammo was bad, then ok. Clean, change ammo, and go. But otherwise, how would it fix itself?

#2 is the easiest. Stronger recoil spring from Wolff. Or polish feedramp. Or different ammo.

#3 is a something wrong. Need Ruger to fix is.

#4 is I don't use laser sights :rofl:

12. SPIN2010

SPIN2010
    Expand Collapse
    Searching ...

I had one about a year ago and it seemed (to me) to wear (slide) at the rate of ice melting after about two hundred and fifty rounds of self defense ammo. I sold it for a G27. Just saying.

13. ArmedMikeL

ArmedMikeL
    Expand Collapse

So will I get an email with a tracking number when my LCP or a replacement is sent back to me?

Anyone know?

#13 ArmedMikeL, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  14. hoghunter82

hoghunter82
    Expand Collapse
    FL Glocker #182

I have ha issues with these pocket 380s as well, including the LCP. If a gun gives me trouble I loose trust, and that's not a good thing in a SD situation. I went with the Ruger LCR and never looked back. No FTE, stovepipe, brass to the face, etc issues for me anymore. It is a bit bigger than the LCP but the dead nuts reliability is worth it to me- YMMV. Just one man's opinion after trying nearly every "pocket auto" out there. LCR = peace of mind.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

15. ArmedMikeL

ArmedMikeL
    Expand Collapse

I understand completely. I called Ruger on Monday and requested a new LCP. The CS lady said that she would put the request in and she said that with all the issues it was likely to be replaced.

Also I have a S&W Bodyguard with Insight Laser. The new poly .38 like the LCR. I carry that all the time now. It is not bad and light too.

16. CorkyE

CorkyE
    Expand Collapse

I'm one of the guys that took mine out of the box and it's gone bang every time. Just read the forums and Glocks aren't immune from problems either. Hopefully they will get you straightened out.

17. hogship

hogship
    Expand Collapse
    It's MY Island

Mine has been perfect out of the box, too......

#3 has something to do with the linkage between trigger and hammer.....bad news in a SD situation.

Hopefully, Ruger will replace it.......I'd have a very hard time ever trusting that one again......or ever!

ooc

18. ArmedMikeL

ArmedMikeL
    Expand Collapse

Update:

LCP still at Ruger since Feb 15th. :(

I called twice since then and no updates.

19. hoghunter82

hoghunter82
    Expand Collapse
    FL Glocker #182

Sorry to hear. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I just have fits with these pocket autos. I can't see myself trading my my LCR .38 +P for an auto to CCW. The peace of mind that the revolver brings me is something I am very happy with. Ruger will make it right or ship you another. What drove me nuts is how many rounds I had to burn to become confident in a pocket auto function (ie- break in period). Before I switched to the revolver I bet I was up to a grand in ammo costs trying to find the right pocket pistol.

20. Paul7

Paul7
    Expand Collapse
    New Guy

Mine was garbage, Ruger finally gave me a refund after it went back to the factory three times. The scary thing was, the real problems didn't show up until after 200 rounds.