close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger LC9 For The Daughter's Conceal Gun

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by BENCH, Mar 31, 2012.

1. BENCH

BENCH
    Expand Collapse

It took a while to convince her the Flashlight won't be much help when your in your car, or your house, and somebody is coming thru the door.

So we went from the LC9, to the Springfield, to the Bursa, back to the LC9. Springfield, and Bursa have light rails.

I am gonna get her a small 150 lumen flashlight to keep with her for those dark times. I use mine all the time for stuff.

So off to Academy to pick up the LC9 tomorrow.

I will feel better with her going to graduate school out of town, with her conceal permit, training, and a reliable firearm, and a lot of range time.

Sorry for the kid rant ;-)

BENCH

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. TSAX

TSAX
    Expand Collapse
    USAF Vet

Its ok sometimes it takes a while before someone gets comfortable with the right gun.

:50cal:

3. snwbrdr435

snwbrdr435
    Expand Collapse

Has she shot one? My friends gf hates his lc9

4. 1eyedjack

1eyedjack
    Expand Collapse
    Old Pirate

My LC9 has functioned like a champ - Not one malf in over 1K rounds. Great little 9mmP with the exception of the LONG trigger pull. I'm on the waiting list for the Galloway hammer and trigger bar kit...

On the other hand, one of my fellow club members has had consistent function issues with his LC9...

#4 1eyedjack, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  5. Psychman

Psychman
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Other than the long double action like trigger pull I love my LC9 also. I do have to admit that I still feel better with my G30 but the LC9 is great when I can't carry the G30.

6. jwhite75

jwhite75
    Expand Collapse
    Gubmint Worker

Get her to handle a Kahr P9/CW9 before you buy. She will love it.

7. slickt0mmy

slickt0mmy
    Expand Collapse

The LC9 seems like a quality pistol, from the little bit of range time I've had on it. I'm not a huge fan of all the safeties on it but that's just a personal preference thing. It seems like most people just don't like the trigger. I didn't either but I assume it's something you could get used to.

8. Patchman

Patchman
    Expand Collapse
    Florist

So your daughter ended up selecting the LC9? Not a bad choice at all, as long as good 'ole dad shot a few hundred carry ammo (the good stuff) through it for reliability, reloaded with carry ammo, and detailed cleaned it before giving it to daughter.

#8 Patchman, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  9. Oramac

Oramac
    Expand Collapse

And the CM9. My dad just replaced his LC9 with a Kahr CM9. Both are amazing pistols, and really it comes down to which one she likes best, but I have to say, in my experience, the CM9 trumps the LC9.

10. vtjetboy

vtjetboy
    Expand Collapse

Have she tried the LCP or 3-AT? I love my 3-AT for the dead of summer. It is super small and when wearing only a tank top and shorts it fits in any pocket. I know it is a light round but vs. not carrying because of the CCW dificulty it is better to have than not

11. BENCH

BENCH
    Expand Collapse

We should be getting her's Friday, and running a bunch of shell's thru it Saturday.

She really likes the way it feels, and the little slimmer feel.

She shot it with 115 g, but this weekend gonna step up to 124gr.

BENCH

12. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT
    Expand Collapse
    Resident Evil

Mine has run really well. However, it isn't the easiest trigger to master.

As a suggestion I recommend that while you are at the store you pick up one of those little Hogue Hand-All Juniors rubber grip sleeves. I think they are only like $10 most places. Made a big difference in the grip for me.

13. MinnesnowtaWild

MinnesnowtaWild
    Expand Collapse

Was thinking about an LC9 for my girlfriend since she is now getting her carry permit. However, I just think that she will hate the trigger. She's used to shooting striker fired guns and might not like the long trigger pull of the LC9. I think she could handle the Kahr triggers, but would not like the stippling. The Sig P290 is too big to her. Still trying to find something that will work for her.

14. vtjetboy

vtjetboy
    Expand Collapse

Kimber solo?

15. mingaa

mingaa
    Expand Collapse

A step harder to conceal but two steps forward in shooting - a 3.5" Barrel (CW9) makes worlds of difference.

16. BENCH

BENCH
    Expand Collapse

She likes the LC9, and itwill be here Friday.

I would have never thought , that when she was ten years old I would want her carrying a gun for her safety.

I still wrestle with the idea of her carrying ,and possibly using a gun for her defense.

BENCH

17. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith
    Expand Collapse

Get her a Surefire E2D defender for the flash light. The LC9 will do quite well for the handgun.

Deaf

18. 1eyedjack

1eyedjack
    Expand Collapse
    Old Pirate

You are teaching her to be self-reliant when she only has herself to depend on. I call that a "Life Skill". Good on you, Dad...

19. BENCH

BENCH
    Expand Collapse

Never thought of it like that, but your right.

As far as the trigger goes, she has not shot more than 150 rounds thru mostly a G26 and maybe 30 thru the LC9, so she isn't accustomed to any single trigger.

Trigger time, and more trigger time Let's face it, when someone is trying to car jack ya, or break into your dwelling, the last thing on your mind is going to be how your trigger works.

It is going to be aim and fire till the perp is neutralized.

Bench

20. BENCH

BENCH
    Expand Collapse

My daughter shot her LC9 today.

I need to adjust the sights, and let her work on her trigger pull, but other than that, it was a great day at the range, after I removed the stuck bullet from the barrel, because the powder dispenser didn't fill the casing.

Now to find a holster for the purse and her person.

BENCH