Ruger factory 25 compared to Butler Creek "Pic's review"

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Dan, Jun 16, 2011.

1. I did a little table top review with pic's and went to the range. I will have to say, the Ruger mag is VERY well made. It doesn't feel like a lesser quality plastic, in other words... the Ruger mag is built like a Glock Mag. On top of that it functioned flawlessly at the range today. The Butler Creek mag still works well with no issue's and they both are the same price. I plan on buying a few more of the Ruger mags this week.

Ruger and Butler Creek mag
    [​IMG]

Ruger mag on the right:
    [​IMG]

Ruger mag on the left:
    [​IMG]

Ruger mag on top:
    [​IMG]

Ruger mag on the right:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Dan, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  2. mac66

mac66 Huge Member
    Millennium Member

Actually, the best thing about the Ruger mag is that Butler Creek is cutting the price on their steel lips mags to compete. I bought a couple BC steel lips last week for $15/ea.

3. Nice comparison pictures. I like the looks of the Ruger mag but I also like the ability to see how many rounds are left. If the BC steel lips are getting less expensive, that works for me!

4. shotgunred

shotgunred reloading nut

Looks like the ruger's should work fine.

5. BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Glockalfeliac

Looks like I'll end up losing some money on my stash of the steel lips mags when I upgrade to the Ruger mags, oh well. The third picture does a great job of showing the 30 degree feed angle that ruger advertises. I have 2 of the new Ruger mags so far, but I haven't gotten a chance to test them.

6. Got mine late last week, no problems. CDNN even gave me the discounted shipping, despite the fact that I ordered them before the Weekend Specials page actually went up online (thanks, CDNN!). I think they're still out-of-stock at CDNN right now, but when they have them, the mags sell for $24.99.

Looks like they've upgraded the packaging from the plastic baggie. If you're looking for them in the stores, this is how mine were packaged:

[​IMG]

Didn't have much time today, but got a chance to run 200 rounds through them (2 mags, 4 full loadings of 25 in each mag). Ammo was CCI Blazer lead round nose (the ammo that my newest 10/22 prefers for reliable functioning).

100 rounds through each mag, no stoppages at all.

Mags seem very thick and solid; I don't fear dropping these on the concrete like the other plastic mags. Not sure of the material, but my impression is: solid as a rock.

Easy to load, too; very similar to the 10-shot factory mags in this regard.

Two thumbs up so far; will be testing them in two other 10/22s in the future, and if they perform similarly, I'll be junking/selling all my other hi-cap 10/22 mags.