close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ruger build a PC-40 carbine that takes Glock Mags we will buy!!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Narkcop, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Narkcop

Narkcop

Jan 12, 2003
    Kentucky
    I want Ruger to bring back the PC-40 carbine and for it to take Glock 22 mags. It would fill a perfect niche thats missing.:supergrin:

2. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    I haven't shot mine in so long I don't remember what magazines it takes.

3. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    It takes Ruger P89 magazines I believe.

Yeah Ruger needs to reintroduce those, if they made one in 9mm that took Glock mags I would buy 3!!!

4. DFin

DFin

Mar 22, 2008
    It Ruger, or someone else, had their act together they would make them to accept Glock mags and make them in the following calibers: 9mm, 357 Sig, .40, .45 acp & 10mm.
    Kel-tec makes one that will accept Glock 9mm & .40 mags but the aesthetics turn me off.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  5. grecco

grecco

Sep 12, 2004
    philadelphia pa
    The question is why would Ruger make a carbine to except some one else's mags?
    There was a aftermarket option for a while that did mods to the Ruger,
    as an alternative check out the Beretta CX storm.

FLIPPER 348 likes this.
  6. banger

banger

Nov 8, 2005
    Where evil lives
    Truthfully, I can't see any MAJOR manufacturer, risking their money and reputation on a competitor's product.

Consider, Ruger manufacturers pistols, rifles and magazines.

All of these products are engineered and tested to be among the most reliable possible.

Now, you want Ruger to risk their customer satisfaction on a product made by Glock.

What happens when Glock changes their magazines (without informing Ruger), or passes along magazines that for some reason work in their pistols but not the Ruger rifles.

Who takes it on the chin?

Glock....No.

Ruger....definitely.

What is every dissatisfied customer going to say....Damned Ruger...They make a POS rifle and charged me decent money for it to boot. I'll NEVER buy another POS Ruger.

In short, I don't see it happening.

7. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    Ruger magazines are VERY expensive. I know I have 13 Ruger semi autos.

Ruger wouldn't be inclined to make a gun that would use another brands inexpensive magazines.

8. The triggers on Ruger's carbines weren't anything you could love, or (because of their design) do much about.

I had a PC9 that Lone Wolf converted to take Glock mags, but it didn't shoot as well as my Marlin Camp 9. Now if Marlin would bring back the Camp 9 for Glock mags, then you're talking.

9. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Jan 3, 2006
    Humble, TX
    A Marlin Camp 9 to take Glock 17 mags would be fantastic. My Marlin 45 Camp carbine is one of my favorite guns. Marlin was wise enough to make them to accept 1911 magazines.:wavey:

10. Novocaine

Novocaine

Jun 10, 2004
    Didn't buy Ruger carbine in 9mm when had a chance and don't regret it. Gun was solid but the trigger was way too heavy to have any kind of fun with it.

Wouldn’t pass up something along its lines that takes G20 mags with a lighter trigger though.

11. plp

plp

Feb 11, 2013
    Redneck Riveria
    Ruger has been fantastic over the past 5 years about listening to what the customer wants, and producing a reasonably priced product to fill that need.
    The LC9 is an example. The biggest complaint was the long, heavy trigger, so they came out with the LC9s, which was a massive improvement. The biggest complaint about it was the overkill on safetys, so they introduced the LCPs Pro.
    USB has become an industry standard for computing devices, and all the variants that existed prior to it have become obsolete. The 1911 mags have become a standard, allowing many manufacturers to build on existing technology and not have to reinvent the wheel when a perfectly good one already exists.

Building a carbine that accepts Glock mags is only bowing to a good design, several others have done that very thing. I got over some things that I'm not real fond of about my Sub 2000 because it does other things really well.

One of those things is allowing me to carry mags that are compatible with my ccw, full size, and carbine.

I've looked for a PC9, and found one here and there, but out of what I'm willing to pay. I'd like to get one because.... I have two P-89's and 8 15 round mags. Same approach, but in a discontinued model.

If they would adopt the Glock mag as their standard, they would sell a butt ton of carbines to people with a similar mindset, in that the extra 100 or so above what they are willing to pay is offset by the compatibility with mags they already own.

12. I bought a PC40 as my first long gun about 8 years ago for $325.00. I didn't shoot it much until a few years ago, and it is now one of my favorite guns to shoot. It has no recoil, and is very quiet. I have had people ask if it was a suppressed rifle.

It would be an improvement if I could use my Glock mags with it, but it isn't a major problem.

13. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

Dec 19, 2000
    I would love a pcc in .357 sig.

As far as mags, the new Ruger Precision Rifle takes almost any SR25/DPMS/Magpul .308 mag so I don't see the problem.

14. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Feb 13, 2001
    North-Central USA
    I think these folks nailed it. But still...

I've said several times that if Beretta made a CX-4 Storm carbine that took Glock 9mm mags, I'd own two of the darn things.

15. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Feb 13, 2001
    North-Central USA
    This might be the only way it could ever happen; have a rifle company that doesn't make pistols make a rifle that takes another company's pistol mags. The original 9mm Camp Carbines took S&W 9mm pistol mags. It wouldn't be too difficult to re-tool the Camp Carbines to take Glock mags; the lower magazine housing was already molded synthetic, just design/make a new lower housing and bolt it on, then rake in the bucks. Well, okay, maybe test it a little, first.

Those early Marlin Camp Carbines had no buffering system at all, just a heavy steel bolt smacking into a heavy steel receiver. The 9mm one I owned kicked like a dang .30-30, and broke two different optical sights (a Weaver Quik-Point dot sight and a Tasco 4x scope). It just pounded them into submission.

16. Matt VDW

Matt VDW Millennium Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Ohio
    If Ruger makes any new carbines, I want a .22 that takes Mk II/Mk III mags, and another that takes 22/45 mags.

But Ruger is probably already selling all the 10/22 variants they can make and if they did make a pistol-mag .22 carbine they'd probably ruin it with a magazine safety.

Bill Keith likes this.
  17. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Feb 13, 2001
    North-Central USA
    True, but it probably wouldn't be too terribly difficult to make a "magazine adapter block" that would allow use of a MK-II/MK-III mag (assuming there is enough front-to-back space in the magwell for the more-severely-angled pistol mags). Remove the feed block from a standard 10/22 mag, cut a slot in the bottom, figure out how to put it back together without the through-bolt but still keeping the bolt head and nut (needed for locking the mag into the rifle magwell), find a used MK-II/MK-III lower grip frame (unlike many other pistols, on Ruger .22 pistols the upper is the serial-numbered part, so you don't have to worry about cutting-up a serial-numbered frame), experiment with the overall length to get the feed position correct, remove all the parts from the grip frame except for the magazine release, cut the grip frame to the correct length, epoxy it to the mag body with the slot in the bottom, done!

It would look a bit weird, but I think it's doable.

18. plp

plp

Feb 11, 2013
    Redneck Riveria
    I see what you did there. Point taken.

However, Ruger already has a great selling .22 carbine with probably the best rotary magazine made, certainly the most prolific.There is no incentive from a sales standpoint to offering a variant.

What I was suggesting is for a product line that does not presently exist in their catalog. I've read several folks say over the years, "If Brand X did this, or this, or this, I would buy one in a heartbeat!". They dropped their center fire carbine line because they didn't sell like they had anticipated, was suggesting a way to increase desirability for a wider consumer base.

19. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    I would guess that the reason Ruger would never make a carbine that takes Glock mags is the same reason S&W, Beretta, Sig, Taurus or anyone else won't either. Hell, Glock won't even make a carbine that takes Glock mags.

FLIPPER 348 likes this.
  20. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx