close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger .38 spl. Lcr - very pleased.

Discussion in 'The Snubbie Club' started by RVER, Apr 2, 2012.

1. RVER

RVER
    Expand Collapse

After playing around with pocket autos for some time I revisited the revolver and ended up a .38 Spl. LCR. I briefly considered the .357 Magnum LCR (a little heavier in weight and could fire both .38 and .357 ammunition), but I had no intention of shooting .357's out of it. That's what my wife's 3" GP100 is for. The gun that I bought was still in the factory box and is perfect in fit, finish, function, and accuracy. The grips are very comfortable, and although a bit large for pocket carry, they are perfect for “inside the waistband” carry. "Boot" grips are available from Ruger if you want to pocket carry. The retail price was $425.00 for the .38 Spl. The .357 Magnum was $475.00. And The Crimson Trace Laser Grip model was $650.00.

AMMUNITION / ACCURACY: At 7 yards all of the ammunition fired had the same point of impact – dead center of the target leaving one ragged hole. Recoil was mild with Winchester 130 grain FMJ and Federal 148 grain full wadcutter loads, and “manageable” with Federal 158 grain +P Nyclad HP and CCI 135 grain +P GDHP (my choice for carry). With the +P's the recoil, while not punishing, was not pleasant either. I was very surprised to find that the LCR, although lighter than the Smith and Wesson “Airweight” revolver, has what I felt was considerably less felt recoil. And a much nicer trigger. I fired a total of 50 rounds of ammunition with 100% reliability.

The gun carries nicely in a common suede Bianchi IWB clip holster (I like using the holster sized for K frames as smaller revolvers sit lower and holster easier). A really nice CCW / "off duty" / BUG weapon.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 RVER, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. Chup

Chup
    Expand Collapse

I bought the 357 LCR. It has become my favorite Snub to shoot. 125g. 357 is painless to shoot and is accurate. Ruger has some great Snubs.

3. G19aps

G19aps
    Expand Collapse

I certainly prefer my 38 LCR with XS sights and boot grips for pocket carry over my S&W 340 M&P. The XS sight is "good enough" and has the tritium advantage, but I prefer the square front sight that is on my 22 LCR.

4. F_G

F_G
    Expand Collapse

+1 for the XS front sight. My LCR didn't come with one from the factory, but I installed one about 2 months ago, best modification I ever did.

5. Chup

Chup
    Expand Collapse

Same here.

6. FM12

FM12
    Expand Collapse
    I need AMMO!

Sticking with my aged Colt Agent for right now. Enjoy though.

7. RVER

RVER
    Expand Collapse

Im thinking about adding the same sight. Thanks,

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Glad to hear you're happy with it.