close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ruger 10/22 target tactical

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by glock_ME, Oct 30, 2009.

1. glock_ME

glock_ME

Oct 7, 2008
    Maine
    I've been looking for a .22 for plinking and later down the road for my son to learn on. I was planning on buying a stock 10/22 and modding it as time goes on - piece by piece. I'm sure most of you 10/22 owners can relate.

I saw the new 10/22 target tactical on Ruger's page and it got my interest.

Has anyone held one of these? I know it's new but I assume they are out there somewhere already.

Would it be beneficial to purchase this rifle at $500 or so and just be done with it?

2. The Maggy

The Maggy

Dec 24, 2008
    Stillwater, OK
    depending on how much a new 10/22 costs in your area, I would suggest buying a base no frills model and building it yourself.

You are paying an extra $300 to $350 for a hogue stock, bipod legs, and a bull barrel. The Hogue you can get $60-$70, walmart has the legs for $30ish and you can get a barrel that will knock the socks off a stock barrel for under $200 shipped.

3. DPris

DPris

Mar 3, 2006
    Utah
    Picked up a loaner from Ruger on Thursday.
    I like the balance & length out of the box, waiting for a Weaver rimfire scope to stick on it.
    Had some discussion with Ruger about it, the glass-filled nylon trigger group is actually stronger than aluminum on the older models, and the fire control parts (along with that housing) are fabricated more consistently in dimensions now.

Barrel's hammer forged, target crowned. Stock is grippy. Trigger's not too bad for a factory setup.
    Have not mounted the pod, it's the same one furnished for the Charger.
    Denis

4. glock_ME

glock_ME

Oct 7, 2008
    Maine
    thanks for the info.

is it a harris bipod? if not, is it of good quality?

i haven't seen the charger bipod...

have you fired it? if so, how is the accuracy?

thanks again.

5. DPris

DPris

Mar 3, 2006
    Utah
    It's not a Harris, it's a no-name pod.
    I have not fired it yet, waiting for a scope to arrive. Comes with no sights.
    Denis

6. glock_ME

glock_ME

Oct 7, 2008
    Maine
    this is the exact debate i'm having with myself.

the upsides are -

the target tactical is the exact setup i was looking for (short barrel, bipod, synthetic stock, rail mount, better trigger)

10/22's are 250-300 locally i believe. i'm not sure i could get a stock, barrel, bipod, scope rail, and trigger for only 250-300 more. also, the 555 msrp is more like 450-500 in reality probably - maybe not immediately but in a short while...

7. DPris

DPris

Mar 3, 2006
    Utah
    Not trying to plead for or against the gun, but you know street price will be markedly lower, and there's something to be said for the convenience of buying a package deal that's already mated together.
    Also factor in travel time, gas money, tax, and potential shipping fees if you try to chase down the individual components to assemble one yourself.
    Denis

8. The Maggy

The Maggy

Dec 24, 2008
    Stillwater, OK
    I was unaware of the going price for a new 1022 in your area. :wow: My 10/22 carbine was $180 out the door.

In your situation it sounds like would break even or save a few dollars by picking up the 10/22t. Anyway you do it, it's going to be a great gun that will last a long time.

9. glock_ME

glock_ME

Oct 7, 2008
    Maine
    well it's a crappy situation in terms of supply/demand. it's almost as if the shop owners around here go on able ammo or bud's (10/22 seem to be just under $200 on those sites) and calculate how much a ffl fee and shipping/tax would be and just charge that. my only other hope is walmart but they are still around $230 plus tax (so $250 total) for the 10/22 last time i checked.

for sake of argument if i could find one for $180 which 16" crowned or threaded barrel should i be looking at? if that were $175 and the stock and bipod totaled $90-100 i'd still be at $450 or so and the 10/22t trigger is supposed to be better than stock...

don't get me wrong, i would LOVE to build one from scratch but if i'm going to end up with essentially the same exact rifle i will probably just buy the 10/22t and save time and tax/shipping as someone mentioned above.

10. The Maggy

The Maggy

Dec 24, 2008
    Stillwater, OK
    Kidd and Clark are excellent barrels to go with. They are both made from Walther blanks and are very hard to beat in terms of price and quality.

http://coolguyguns.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=5

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/riflepts.htm

under those two, there are TacSol and Green Mountain

http://www.rimfiresports.com/mercha..._Code=RSC&Product_Code=TS1022&Category_Code=B

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/catalog.aspx?catid=10-22.920sporterdiameterbarrels

All of these are great choices. The stock "T" barrel will give results close to the bottom two on the list.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  11. glock_ME

glock_ME

Oct 7, 2008
    Maine
    thank you, that is very helpful.

12. sublime

sublime

Nov 20, 2001
    TEXAS
    Giving this one a little bump to see if anyone has priced one in a shop.

13. DPris

DPris

Mar 3, 2006
    Utah
    Did some accuracy work with it at 50 & 100 yards yesterday, I'll be going up the hill with it again shortly to finish up.
    It's not a real thousand-yard sniper rifle, but with the right loads it's not too bad.
    One suggestion, if you like to shoot off bipods, would be to use a Harris pod with cant & traverse capability along with more height. The pod that comes with the Ruger works within its limitations, but it's fairly limited.

Denis

14. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Oct 20, 2009
    Eastern NC
  15. sublime

sublime

Nov 20, 2001
    TEXAS
    My FFL is still trying to snag one for me without any luck. Maybe Ruger is having some supply chain issues? Just guessing. I can't imagine this rifle being so popular that they can't keep up with demand.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  16. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    You tell that to a crap-load of Snipers and professional Marksmen!
    A shooter with a bi-pod will out shoot you and a sling every time.

17. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon
    tactical AND target, wow!!

....how do you sneak up on your target with your shooting bench???

18. DPris

DPris

Mar 3, 2006
    Utah
    25 degrees up on the hill, the Ruger finished up Day 2 with three misfeeds in the session.
    Sighted one inch high at 50 yards I was popping clay pidgeons at 114 yards off a taller Harris pod and my shooting bench. The one that comes with the gun just doesn't have enough elevation.

Kinda a fun little gun. I might end up keeping it.

Denis

19. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Dec 20, 2002
    Minnesota
    'Tactical' 10-22? That's funny, I have visions of heavily armed rabbits.

20. DPris

DPris

Mar 3, 2006
    Utah
    I can see LE use in shutting off exterior lighting in certain circumstances, but mostly it's a fun little relatively long range (for a .22) plinker & pest control proposition.
    Denis