close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rubbing Alcohol

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Lampshade, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Lampshade

Lampshade
    Expand Collapse

70% vs 90%.... any practical difference between the two?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. sebecman

sebecman
    Expand Collapse

The more alchohol in a solution, the quicker it will evaporate.

For wound care and hand sanitizing the 70% is better because the 90% will evaporate before it can completely do it's job.

3. Bolster

Bolster
    Expand Collapse
    Not Ready Yet!

I don't know your intended use, but isopropyl is no longer recommended for cleaning of wounds. It kills cells and then those dead cells become part of the problem...or so it's been explained to me by EMT friends & physician.

Still great for sterilizing instruments, altho it's very hard on your hands (dries them out).

It's a shame we can't buy pure ethanol. It can do everything isoporpyl can do...and more!!

#3 Bolster, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  4. G22Dude

G22Dude
    Expand Collapse

I was a little skeptical of this opinion so I checked WEBMD, and sure enough that is the position. I had always heard this about hydrogen peroxide but not rubbing alcohol. There goes 30 + years of strongly held belief. I was literally in the grocery store and pharmacy this weekend pricing bottles of alcohol for this purpose.

5. kewa0501

kewa0501
    Expand Collapse

70% is better for cleansing areas prior to puncture (as in sutures, IV starts etc.) the water is required to make the alcohol work.

90% works great in little pop can stoves for emergencies (if you have seen those before)

6. thesurefire

thesurefire
    Expand Collapse

I stock both. 90% for fuel and 70% for wound treatment. As already stated alcohol isnt ideal for treating wounds, but it sure beats nothing.

Anyone interested in pure ethanol should check out everclear, its only 95% pure, and pretty expensive at 35 dollars for 1.75 liters from most liquor stores. Its works super well in popcan stoves, and if needed it can get you drunk.

I don't know if this true or not but some friends told me with a normal precision still you can take vodka from 40% to 95+% with just a few runs.

7. Bolster

Bolster
    Expand Collapse
    Not Ready Yet!

Just add everclear to non-carb-compliant generators and berkey filters as one more thing unavailable in los angeles. Didn't realize it was that expensive tho!!

I'd like to know more about further distilling vodka...got a lead on that? What's a 'precision still'?

#7 Bolster, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  8. Devans0

Devans0
    Expand Collapse

I'm not a lab guy so I don't know about "precision" as quoted, but distillation with a careful control of condensate temperature to drop the vapors below H2O steam temps will condense out the water fractions, then condensing the ethanol vapors in a second fraction will give a purer condensate and a third fraction to remove the even lower temperature vapors. Repeated runs will give 25% water, then 20% of 25% (5%), then 15% 0f 20....(3%).. until you get a pure enough ethanol.

If instead of vodka, using corn mash and enzymes/acids to break the starches to sugars, you will have a mash that is better feed because of the yeast adding B complex nutrients and only lose starch, which cattle don't digest anyway. They just leave steaming piles of it in the field.... Or so I've read.:tequila: Everclear has so much tax, it isn't cost effective IMO.

#8 Devans0, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  9. Lampshade

Lampshade
    Expand Collapse

So what is the currently recommended method of disinfecting wounds?

10. Carry16

Carry16
    Expand Collapse

I am not a medical professional, but my method is to clean with soap and water and then apply betadine.

11. Bolster

Bolster
    Expand Collapse
    Not Ready Yet!

^ This is what the EMTs are telling me.

12. Lampshade

Lampshade
    Expand Collapse

Good info.... to whoever referenced using the 90% as fuel in "pop can stoves...." are you referring to something like a Coleman stove that runs off Coleman Fuel and or Gasoline?

#12 Lampshade, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  13. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins
    Expand Collapse
    Slacked jawed

I have, and NO do not use 90% alcohol in a alcohol stove, especially a home made can stove.

Lets just say I know from experience that 70% is fine and works about the same a HEET, or denatured alcohol.

90% will burn very bright and throw of some seriously high flames to the point of being "unstable" in some homemade stoves. :burn:

Lampshade, here is what an alcohol can stove is and how to make one. They are big with ultralight hikers, and some preppers/survivalist. If youare not handy and want to just buy one, check out REI.

[​IMG]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-35L_xdtQE&feature=fvst"]The Perfect Alcohol Stove, part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyosaAcwHXA&feature=relmfu"]The Perfect Alcohol Stove, part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

#13 Bilbo Bagins, Apr 10, 2012
  14. kewa0501

kewa0501
    Expand Collapse

When I built one (just for fun) I had no problems running it off of the "HEAT" brand gas additive. Which, as far as I know, is just alcohol and some other petroleum distillates.

To each there own.

15. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins
    Expand Collapse
    Slacked jawed

Yea I usually use HEET too, but I also use rubbing alcohol and denatured because its cheaper. The reason I use HEET is its a lot is its easier to find. You need a drug store or supermarket for rubbing Alcohol, but every podunk gas station has a bottle of Heet for sale.

Here is an article about various alcohol stove and all the fuel combos.
    http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

#15 Bilbo Bagins, Apr 10, 2012
  16. Ramjet38

Ramjet38
    Expand Collapse
    SONS OF LIBERTY

I've used isopropyl on cuts for 61 years and I can't tell that my cells give a damn, and they look fine to me. More than likely it's pansyassed that can't take a little sting...more BS.

17. Bolster

Bolster
    Expand Collapse
    Not Ready Yet!

Yeah, what do those pansyassed EMTs or physicians know, and why would anyone want to heal faster anyway. Hell just rub dirt into it if you're a real man. What the hell's a cell anyway, never seen one. There's been no medical advances in the past fiddy years nohow...all BS.

#17 Bolster, Apr 10, 2012
  18. Carry16

Carry16
    Expand Collapse

Those little annoying cuts you get while gardening surely benefit from the alcohol. If you get a REAL wound I have been instructed by schooled medical doctors to use soap, any soap and plenty of clean water to cleanse and irrigate the wound, then apply betadine. I'm 70 myself, and I've used lots of hydrogen peroxide over the years, but today they don't recommend it. I still use it as well as alcohol on a scratch, but I would not on a serious wound. YMMV :wavey:

19. sebecman

sebecman
    Expand Collapse

I use alcohol and peroxide for small cuts as my parents and their parents did and I will continue to use it on my children. It works and it's cheap.

Not sure what the big deal is?

20. Bolster

Bolster
    Expand Collapse
    Not Ready Yet!

Since you are pressing the issue: The reasoning, or lack thereof.

I find it remarkable how some people reject new, even helpful information (in this case, faster healing rates) with extreme prejudice, and attributing (with no evidence) the new practice to a lack of balls...that people who don't use Isopropyl for injuries are pansies. The reasoning seems to be: "I've been doing it for fiddy years and that's proof my way's best." I don't even know what that logical fallacy is called. Perhaps Argumentum Ad Codgerum.

Carry on, use what you want. The speed at which you heal is your affair, not mine. (Unless we get socialized medicine, of course, in which case every single health decision you make, impacts my pocketbook, and is therefore my affair.)

#20 Bolster, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012