Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Router or Switch?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Nicky D, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

Apr 25, 2004
    Souderton, Pa.
    I have 2 routers that I have been using, well one gave up the ghost over the weekend. My question is do I buy another router or is a switch more of what I am looking for? I have a Linksys BEFSR41 that is working fine and I have had this for a long time. My Linksys 81 is what died and I only had it probably about a year. I am running quite a few things, so I need alot of ports. So is a switch what I need or do I just buy another router. Everything is hard wired, so I do not need wireless. Appreciate the advice.
  2. Big Al 24

Big Al 24

Apr 23, 2008
    Unless you're trying to divide the networks or you have 2 different cable hookups through your ISP, I think a switch is your best bet. A switch just splits the connection and is the same as the router minus some features. Switches are usually cheaper too especially if you're just looking to add 4 ports or so.

3. DoubleWide

Sep 3, 2008
    What Big Al said ^^^
    Since you said a lot of stuff, I'd get an 8 or more port switch, but look for deals. If you only need to replace the old router's ports, you can find better deals during Christmas on routers than switches usually.