close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Roseburg Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Jun 1, 2002.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Please post your comments here.:)

2. Roland-G23

Roland-G23 STI Convert

Myself and two friends drove down to Roseburg this morning, and met up with some LEO's from Albany in Creswell for breakfast, and drove on to the range. It was a beautiful day, about 73 degrees, light breeze, and lots of sun. As it was last year, the Roseburg Rod & Gun Club was a very nice place to spend the day shooting Glocks!

We spent a considerable amount of time at the registration area talking to Chris from Glock, and having my friend's G19 rebuilt (its ca. 1991, and had never been updated).

After getting his G19 all squared away, we walked down to the Glock 'M' and Glock the Plates stages, and shot in the Umpqua Practical Shooters side matches (plate rack and IPSC stage). Ran into some people we met last year, and some of the people working for the host club I've met at Speed Steel matches in Albany.

The side matches were alot of fun, I should have spent more money shooting the plates :).

I shot two classes, Amateur Civilian and Competition. I shot my G17 with my handloads (147gr Oregon Trail FP w/ 4.4gr AA #5) in both classes. My competition score was higher for the Glock 'M' than the other entry, but overall I was happy I shot better than last year .... at least it started that way.

When I got to the plates, it was disconcerting to see some solid center-mass hits by factory 9mm not knock the plate down. When it was my turn, I struggled a great deal in both classes, even switching to factory ammo for my Am. Civ. entry shoot in case my reloads weren't hitting hard enough to knock them over. Thoroughly disgusted, I walked away from the stage pretty upset at myself. Took some time, ate some lunch, and went and shot the 5 to Glock, and was very happy with my performance there. Last year I had 84 seconds in penalties on that stage alone, today I had 37, and shot 3 seconds faster overall.

Stopped by the registration area, and asked Chris about a reshoot on the plates, feeling that they needed to be calibrated, and he said he had just recalibrated them, and awarded many people who shot that rack reshoots. That made my day. Headed over and shot the plates again, first in competition with my handloads, then Am. Civ. with factory (was out of ammo by this time). Did much better than the first time around, but worse than last year (left 3 standing this time, only 2 last year).

Overall, I shot a 223.09 for the match, a whopping 61.42 seconds better than I shot last year. The biggest improvement came in the 5 to Glock (which I have been practicing quite a bit the last couple of months). One of my friends shot around 212, and the other had a really high score (his first time), but alot of fun and he is planning on competing some more.

Again, it was a great match, had alot of fun, it was well run, and lots of friendly ROs and fellow shooters. I'll be practicing plates until the Idaho match in July, then the Glock 'M' before Shelton, WA.

Many thanks to the Roseburg Rod & Gun Club, Umpqua Practical Shooters, Glock Inc., and the GSSF Staff. Special thanks to all the very experienced shooters that post here with their tips, and feedback for those of us taking on new endeavours in our shooting. I've learned alot, and hope that I can/am contributing likewise.

3. AKelly

AKelly

My wife and I both shot today. She shot in Am. Civ. with her G19 and had a pretty disapointing time on the plates. Overall she had a great day and alot of fun. I shot both Am. Civ. and Competition. As usual I was too excited about shooting to remember to keep track of my times and scores. I definitely shot a better match in Competition than Am. Civ. My overall scores seemed to be alot better than last year. It seemed as if the number of shooters was down this year compaired too last. Maybe Sunday will be a better turn out. The fun shoot and and practice plate rack were a good idea.

As far as the plate rack goes, I know that the club just purchased those two plate racks and received them friday night. I heard these racks are going to be used only for the GSSF Match and put in storage between times. I didn't hear about them having to be recalibrated, but I'm glad the folks got reshoots. Overall it was a beautiful day to shoot and as always the GSSF Staff was great to work with. I'm looking forward to ROing tomorrow, I'll be ROing on a plate rack stage.

We got to see some friends from last year and hopefully meet some new ones this year.

4. Guest

Well I should have looked at this forum a litle closer before I posted my thread. Sorry about that. I was just excited to see how you all did.

It was a lot of fun for me (can't wait for 'Fernan'). I shot ok., but I realy need to work on my distance shots. The 25 yrd at "5 to Glock" with my G-26 was...educationial. lol.

I wish my G-17 that I ordered had come in. The G-19 was ok for Amm. Civil, but I would have prefered the G-17.

Hopefully it will get here before the Fernan match.

Well good luck to us all. See ya at the practice range.

p.s. I think I will get my eyes checked I know it was not the gun especialy at the plates.

5. AKelly

AKelly

I just got back from the match clean-up party. We ended up with a record turn out. 238 official entries. Another great day of shooting. I saw some outstanding times on the plate rack. I had the pleasure of watching both Mr. and Mrs. Rhea shoot. I had to go RO another stage and missed Mr. Rhea's unlimited runs but I heard he shot a 2.3 round. Plate racks worked great today and we had the maintenance crew checking them every hour. Got to meet some fellow Glock Talkers and several other new friends. Thanks to all who came and made this such a great Match. Hopefully more GTers will be able to come next year.

6. DaleRhea

DaleRhea

Alice and I traveled to Roseburg with our friends Steve and Jean Smith.
    We had a great time at the match. The sun shone enough to give all us northwesterners a mild sunburn. As usual, the crew at Roseburg, with the help of Chris Edwards, put on a great match. Jean Johnson ably handled check in. They had a record number of shooters but there were no delays anywhere on the range on Sunday.

I shot well with my model G-17 Stockmeister gun, but I didn’t do as well as I had hoped with my new unlimited G-17. Everything was going high on the far targets. I think my home-made scope mount was out of whack (or haywire).
    Speaking of scope mounts, we managed to hook up with Bobby and Brenda Carver and had a great visit. Bobbie promises that his new scope mount will be ready soon. I’m anxious to see the production version.

The Roseburg IPSC club put on their usual on-the-side fun stage, this year with a barricade, 2 poppers, a twister, a bobber and 2 stationary targets. They use IPSC-style scoring – the highest hit factor, or score divided by time, wins.
    When we left, Chris was trying to work his way back to the top of the score board. Chris, did you make it? (by shooting fast, not by bribery or corruption).

8^)

Thanks again to the great crew at Roseberg. Or, as Alice says, “Those guys sure haven’t forgotten how to show a girl a good time.”

Dale

7. AKelly

AKelly

Nope Chris never did get past third. He sure tried though. I think he even made a trip to the ATM cause he ran out of money to keep shooting.

8. Sierra

Sierra Millennium Member

Went down to Roseberg on Sunday. Excellent all the way around. Couldn't have asked for better weather or from the managment of the event. Looking forward to going again next year.

9. BCarver

BCarver Millennium Member CLM

The weather and the RO's were very co-operative. We really enjoyed the visits that we had with friends like Dale and Alice Rhea.

I met many shooters that were interested in the new CARVER mounts that will be available soon.

Brenda and I went back to Portland by driving up the west coast, having a fine fresh seafood dinner on the way. On Monday, before flying back to Lubbock, we went to Mt. St Helens and took some great pictures.

10. Steven Jimenez

Steven Jimenez

Thanks to all the Roseburg crew and the GSSF for their hard work. It is nice to see a club get so many people involved to help with a shoot. They sure do have a fine facility. My wife Sharon and I enjoyed our first shoot at Roseburg. We will be back next year.
    Steve and Sharon Jimenez

11. reptiman

reptiman Go Ducks

OK, I think I have calmed down enough to talk about it.:cool:

Overall, I had a good experience and had fun, but damn those plates! I did ok on the Glock M, 5-Glock, but when I shot AT the plates, I just couldn't hit them. Practicing, I can't miss, I don't know what happened.

I had to follow Mr/Mrs Rhea, and the Smiths, so I was kinda nervous about following that great shooting! ;)

More practice, and then I'm gonna show those plates a thing or two up in Shelton.

12. coyote 30

coyote 30 COYOTE HUNTER!!

I just want to say thanks Roseburg. It was a great match and you guys run it well. I shot better on the 5 to GLOCK and GLOCK M this year but the plates killed me. I don't know what I am doing wrong, but at the next match I am going to slow down until I start getting the hang of it and concentrate on knocking them down and then try to speed up. I already can't wait till next year and am looking forward to Idaho and Shelton, WA. Bruce