Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

rookie scum!

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by evilwill, Sep 23, 2011.

1. evilwill

evilwill Speaks Jive

Aug 21, 2006
    New York City
    Ive always read and heard stories about these guys, but always thought it was just a guy being dramatic. I finally pulled over "That Guy."

Car passes me on the highway (GCP) at well over 80 mph. I go to pull him over and he stops, not on the shoulder, but on lane 3 of a 3 lane highway. My partner directs him to drive to the nearest exit (utopia pkwy) which he does but as soon as he stops, the driver angrily sticks his ID card out the window.
    I make contact with him and in a friendly manner advise him to try not to pass the marked vehicle at 80+ mph. His reply was the sound of teeth being sucked and " you gots a radar? Then how you know how fast I be going" It just went down hill from there.
    He hooked me in a little bit, so i got into it with him. As I was about to fling his ID card back at him, i look on the back where his tax number is (949XXX). It turns out he just got out of the academy about 2 months ago. Oh man did i light into him then. I flung his ID at him and walked away.
    I was disgusted at his behavior. so to the rookie scumbag i say : I've got more time on the crapper than you have on this job. Learn how to act and talk to people, don't you dare act like that in another jurisdiction or state, you're proof that we've lowered hiring standards and you're the reason that other departments see the NYPD as a sick joke.
  2. p.d.

Aug 4, 2009
    Dry Ridge, Kentucky
    Well, you might get angry with me, but you could have just written the cite.

3. Did you contact his unit/commander/FTO? A boot, or anyone fro that matter, acting like that needs to be reeled real quick and given a reality check.
  4. evilwill

evilwill Speaks Jive

Aug 21, 2006
    New York City
    I usually don't write cops, so out of habit I just let him go. I was kicking myself afterwards. My partner wanted to bang him for any and all vtl violations he could think of.

didn't want it getting to a boss. wanted to take care of it at the cop level. so i spoke to one of the guys at the desk there and he told me that yes he is an A-hole and he's been spoken to several times about it, but he's one of those guys that bring in an insane amount of activity so his bosses tend to protect him.

reading between the lines, I get the sense that he's not going to change and nothing is going to come of it so I figured i would rant here and get it off my chest.
  5. IGotIt

IGotIt No Demlibtards

Aug 20, 2011
    On The Edge
    He'll run into someone who's had a bad day and that ID card and tin aren't going to mean a hill of beans. It will take time, but he will get his due.
  6. CW Mock

CW Mock

Feb 4, 2006
    Somebody or something will eventually derail that ego-train he's on.

I still think ******baggery of that level from someone with that little time on should have been sent up to his FTO/Sgt for attitude adjustment. If he think's its okay to treat another cop like that, I shudder to think how he treats the public. Sounds like an future IA case study at in-service training.

Look at it this way ...

A sense of entitlement is kind of like Enzyte ...

Given time, and enough of it, a little prick will turn into a big prick.

Unless you cut it off early. Just sayin' ... mileage may vary. We might handle things differently out west here too. I get the sense police culture varies a lot from coast to coast.
  7. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    I would have written him a ticket AND contacted his Dept.
  8. They copper doing the stop and the violator (off duty rookie) are from the same department. The knucklehead rookie will eventually pull the same crap in an adjoining jurisdiction and will be dealing with a copper from a different agency who might not be so "tolerant". The rookie more than likely will be given an "attitude adjustment", may be cited and a phone call to his command.....:whistling: Or better yet, the rookie will get pulled over by a patrol supervisor and if he has the same "demeanor", they'll be a fast track call to his command.....
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  9. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    I probably would have written him. "Professional courtesy" requires:

A) Professionalism
    B) Courtesy

Both seemed to be absent here. **** him.
  10. AZLawDawg

AZLawDawg Oh, Oh, Oh!!

Sep 10, 2005
    Phoenix Metro
    I woulda papered him. Screw that.
  11. GunFighter45ACP

Jun 11, 2005
    D/FW, TX
    'Nuff said!
  12. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Quoted for the truth.
  13. 2-8 Marine

2-8 Marine Limp Member

Oct 30, 2009
  14. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

May 15, 2011
    I would have Tazed him and gave him a dose of OC as a bonus.
  15. I had a situation similar to this a couple years ago only it was an older officer who should've known better.

I'm not one to write another cop for a minor violation and kick off a potential rift between departments just because somebody was maybe having a bad day and decided to act like a D-bag.

I think he got the point when I took his ID wallet he handed me and tossed it into the woods at the side of the road and then drove off on him leaving him to go look for it in the dark. At least I never heard anything about it, not even from other officers in his PD that I know.
  16. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    I tip my hat to you, sir.
  17. CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    The bolded part is what worries me. A rookie with a few months on the street with a lot of activity? Is it drug related? Does it involved a lot of consensual encounters? Does it involve a lot of consent searches? I don't know if you guys have cameras in your cars but I hope you do so that records good searches. I am just worried that he is dirty searching people. Rafael Perez and company had big numbers too in Rampart. Lower standards and attitude were present for those clowns too.
  18. He's steps away from a lawsuit, or worse. I had to do that once. Didn't feel good but it had to be done. Good thing too. Turns out he was a dangerous ahole who got canned from probation.
  19. evilwill

evilwill Speaks Jive

Aug 21, 2006
    New York City
    sorry, I didn't clarify that for rookies, its mostly summons activity - parkers, movers and criminal court summonses. They're, at this point, just getting their feet wet. They're not going to be the officer of record on anything that matters yet.

If were to write him, I would only have written him for a tail light infraction. we're currently on a citywide slow down in regards to movers. This in response to a new rule at traffic court which is (Verbatim from IAB sgt assigned to court to oversee our testimony) "you come back with 4 not guiltys and were taking 12 days" Most guys now only write for tail lights, headlights and insurance cards now.
  20. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    A-friggin-men. If I acted like that, I'd expect a skid.

Enjoy your buttermilk biscuit! Try not to choke on it.