close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Romney taking credit for auto industry success

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Ruble Noon, May 8, 2012.

1. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    "I pushed the idea of a managed bankruptcy, and finally when that was done, and help was given, the companies got back on their feet," Romney said in an interview inside a Cleveland-area auto parts maker. "So, I'll take a lot of credit for the fact that this industry has come back."

Wow, what a snake.

2. Alizard

Alizard

Apr 5, 2012
    Fastest U-turn in history.

I wondered how the repubs would try to weasel out of the fact that the auto industries have made a huge comeback. I guess they will just try to rewrite history as usual.

3. evlbruce

evlbruce

Nov 3, 2003
    There's the term "flip flopping" but the Romney campaign has finally broken it. We're entering the era of yo-yo policy.

4. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Mar 23, 2010
    Texas
    Before or after declaring bankruptcy?

5. Jonesee

Jonesee

Apr 16, 2009
    I can't believe he said that with a straight face.

6. Alizard

Alizard

Apr 5, 2012
    Do you even have a clue about what actually happened? They had to declare bankruptcy to restructure their debts and break the labor contracts that had driven them into bankruptcy.

GM is again the #1 car maker IN THE WORLD, Ford and Chrysler are making profit by the barrels and the loans are being repaid.

Can't you just grit your teeth and admit that was a good thing?

The repubs were wrong on that one. If they had gotten their way, the auto industry would be one more industry we founded and then lost to the world.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  7. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    I've seen an interview where he was caught in a straight-up lie. He became hostile, defensive and very confrontational.

8. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Mar 23, 2010
    Texas
    But we had to bail them out so they wouldn't have to declare bankruptcy and ship those jobs elsewhere.

9. Alizard

Alizard

Apr 5, 2012
    Dude, two of the three DID declare bankruptcy. That doesn't mean they quit, it means their debt is restructured and existing legal obligations can be re negotiated.

If they had not been given loans, they would have just failed and gone under. We would have lost hundreds of thousands of jobs and billions in revenue.

The point is, the government's loans allowed the automakers to not only survive, but to pull back into world class again. There is nothing bad here except that repubs can't admit it happened without slinging manure on it because they all opposed it.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  10. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Mar 23, 2010
    Texas
    I'm well aware dude. My post was sarcastic. Your assertion is false and shows an ignorance of how bankruptcy works. They didn't require our money to declare bankruptcy or to stay afloat after.

The point is we were told that, but for the government's intervention, these companies would have to declare bankruptcy resulting in the loss of jobs. We gave them the cash, which went mostly into union boss's pockets, and they still declared bankruptcy. In turn these companies screwed over share holders.

Also, I don't believe Ford took any bailout cash. I could be wrong on that, but I think I'm right.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  11. Alizard

Alizard

Apr 5, 2012
    They did not require a loan to declare bankruptcy, but they had absolutely no chance of surviving without a loan.

Facts are stubborn things, you should look at them some time.

OK, you hate Obama so much you have to create a scenario where the comeback of US auto is somehow a giant conspiracy. That pretty much tells me all I need to know. Have a nice day.

12. Alizard

Alizard

Apr 5, 2012
    http://factcheck.org/2011/09/ford-motor-co-does-u-turn-on-bailouts/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmu...-hypocritical-in-new-anti-bailout-commercial/

13. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Mar 23, 2010
    Texas
    Horse apples. That is completely false.

Please, enlighten me.

14. Alizard

Alizard

Apr 5, 2012
    I don't waste time arguing with a closed (delusional) mind.

You ask if Ford was "bailed out" when I posted proof they got low interest government loans. You just tap dance with semantics on "bailout".

Not my job to educate you, I posted the facts. Just keep warming yourself with your pathological hatred of all things Obama and keep watching out for all the conspiracies. safeway has a sale on tinfoil.....

15. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Mar 23, 2010
    Texas
  16. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Mar 23, 2010
    Texas
    You assume a lot.

Oh, and you never addressed, factually, why the others needed our money instead of just filing for bankruptcy and restructuring like any other company would.