close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rolling a Stop Sign, what to do?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by glockbanger, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glockbanger

glockbanger

I got stopped and ticketed for rolling a stop sign tonight. I probably rolled it but I honestly can't remember, but I certainly did not run through it with out slowing down at all.

My question is, if I attest it in court. Will the police officer be able to use a video against me?

If there is no video proof, is there any chance I could get out of the ticket if the cop is present?

Is there any chance the cop will not show up?

Thanks

Edit: Thank you to everyone who responded seriously without getting up on your soapbox. I appreciate it, you guys are super cool :)

To all the finger pointing dorks out there, shut up. Please find something more important to rant about than minor traffic violations.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  2. JBnTX

JBnTX

I guess you want the winning lottery numbers too?:rofl:

Pay the ticket, then start stopping at stop signs.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012

3. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

The Sixth Ammendment affords you the right to confront your accuser(s). Go for it. HH

4. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Will you testify that you don't remember if you stopped or not?

The officer will probably testify he watched your wheels and they never stopped rolling.

Your only hope is the officer might not show.

Pay the ticket or enjoy a non-paid day in court in which your chance of winning is probably low.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Yes, any and all evidence can be used against you.

Without video proof, his testimony of you did it versus your testimony of "I don't know" will win and you will be found guilty.

Very slim chance the cop won't show up. We get paid to be there and it's required, by law, that we show up when subpoenaed. Of course, you may get lucky.

6. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Although it's getting to be common, it doesn't make it right. You got caught, pay the fine.

7. Butcher

Butcher NRA Life Member

No video is required. The officer's sworn testimony trumps yours. If you have a clean record, plead "no contest" or "guilty with an explanation" or whatever your state calls it, and tell the judge the same thing: "your Honor, I honestly don't remember if I fully stopped behind the line. If I rolled through like the officer said, I'm sorry. I came here to beg for mercy from the Court." You will most likely be given a fine without points, and a verdict of probation without judgment, which precludes you from receiving any points on your license and adversely affecting insurance rates.

Or you could have a judge who rolled out of bed the wrong way and he throws the book at you. Ya never know. Always better to dress professionally, accept responsibility, beg for mercy, and hope for the best.

Or you could just pay the ticket and take the points. If you have a ****ty record I wouldn't even waste the courts time. If you offend the judge then he could increase the recommended fine on the ticket to several hundred dollars, whatever your state allows (here in MD, non jailable traffic offenses all have recommended fines ranging from $25 to $290+, but if you contest them in court the judge has the power to raise any fine up to $500 per offense. In theory, a $25 seatbelt violation could cost you $500 if you piss off the judge.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. TactiCool

TactiCool

Dude are you serious?

Cops love going to court because they get paid, so yes you can count on that. Also, when it comes down to a verbal arguement, the judge will side with the officer every time.

I'll let you in on a little secret though, your best chance to win is to go with a trial by written declaration. Or if you're not happy with the outcome, trial de novo.

I have beaten several tickets using the TBWD.

9. 427

Admit to nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

10. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

If you rolled it, you ran it. There is no difference.

11. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

Your testimony that you do not remember something just reinforces testimony that you did it.

Plead and pay is the only honorable option.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  12. droidfire

droidfire

if you didn't come to a complete stop for the required time then you are probably one of those people who keeps trying to run me over on backstreet intersections with low traffic when I cross the street on foot.

i'm happy to hear you got ticketed, the officers in my city just ignore it and being a pedestrian is more dangerous then it should be.

what you did is no different then texting or the various other things drivers do instead of paying attention to where they fling their rolling battering ram.

you already admitted you can't remember what you did, and that you were oblivious to what was around you...else you would have seen the police officer. Doubtless the judge will conclude the same when you show up and attest to this.

Unless you were planning to commit to purjury and hope for the best?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  13. DaGump

DaGump Enigma CLM

Stop Or Slow Down?

A lawyer runs a stop sign and gets pulled over by a Sheriffs Deputy. He thinks that he is smarter than the Deputy because he is sure that he has a better education. He decides to prove this to himself and have some fun at the deputies expense.

Deputy says, "License and registration, please."

Lawyer says, "What for?"

Deputy says, "You didn't come to a complete stop at the stop sign."

Lawyer says, "I slowed down, and no one was coming."

Deputy says, "You still didn't come to a complete stop. License and registration, please."

Lawyer says, "What's the difference?"

Deputy says, "The difference is you have to come to a complete stop, that's the law. License and registration, please!"

Lawyer says, "If you can show me the legal difference between slow down and stop, I'll give you my license and registration and you give me the ticket, if not you let me go and no ticket."

Deputy says, "Exit your vehicle, sir."

At this point, the deputy takes out his nightstick and starts beating the ever-loving snot out of the lawyer and says "Do you want me to stop or just slow down?":supergrin:

14. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

15. Radam3

Radam3

I got the same ticket many a years ago now. Went to my court date, and officer was there. Be polite and professional. I admitted guilt and asked to be only fined with no points. Both judge and officer had no problem with this. (granted only the judge mattered...) The county got their money and I was out $90 bucks (I think) but nothing went on my record, so no insurance hike. Obviously it helps if your driving record is clean for this option to work...

Best of luck. Remember, be polite and professional. It means a lot.

Before you can lead, you must refuse to follow

16. CAcop

CAcop

Depends on the contract and the area.

We get paid 4 hours if we show up and leave 1 minute after arrival if cut loose.

A nearby agency does not pay their officers for traffic court. Their officers never show up. The subpoenas in CA for traffic court cannot go to warrant if you blow them off. The department can hammer you but if they did they would have to pay. We get at least a stern talking to if we miss traffic court.

17. glockbanger

glockbanger

Wittingly accusatory, yet offensive! Nice touch.

18. CAcop

CAcop

Please do not be "that guy" who admits the violation then starts to argue with the judge that the law should not apply to him.

19. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

I don't remember the last time I came to a complete stop at a stop sign...I'm John Dillinger here!

20. TK-421

TK-421

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The answer is really quite simple, man up and pay the ticket. You ran the stop sign, got caught, got ticketed, no man up and accept the consequences. Don't like it? Quit whining and learn to obey the law when the cops are around. The law states you must come to a COMPLETE stop, that means your car has ZERO forward momentum, and you're fully BEHIND the stop sign. Doesn't matter if there is any other traffic or not. The law is the law, and if you don't want to deal with the consequences when you get caught breaking it, then don't break it, duh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.