close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Roll my own SD 9mm loads!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Philippe, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Philippe

Philippe

Jan 26, 2011
    STL
    Hello everyone! This is a questioned aimed at you guys that reload your own Self Defense loads for the 9mm. I would like to get some ideas other than my own rolling. I only plan to use these for personal carry during a SHTF scenario. I have access to nearly every good powder to use for the 9mm, currently on my shelves i have Power Pistol, Bullseye, Universal, Ramshot Silhouette, TiteGroup, WSF. My choices for bullets locally are anything by Hornady, Speer, Sierra and Barns if its in stock. Personally im leaning towards using the Gold Dots and finding some good data for a near max load. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about roll your own SD loads for the 9mm.

2. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

3. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    Power Pistol, Universal, and WSF are good powder choices for SD practice equivalents.
    Pick a bullet of the same weight and crono until you get the same velocity.

4. Philippe

Philippe

Jan 26, 2011
    STL
  5. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    A fine choice, as are the 124gr RGS or SpeerGDHP, even the bulk 124gr Rem JHP from Midway. I do not advocate daily carry of handloads, just seems to be small problem I would rather not have on my plate if involved in a shooting. FOr SHTF, makes a lot of sense stockpiling some handldoads put up in once fired brass, vs spending a bunch of money on ammo you are likely never going to shoot.
    WSF or Unique or PP make good +P loads, easily hitting 1200fps w/ a 124grJHP. I would use carefully inspected once fired brass.:dunno:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  6. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    My PD does dictate what rounds I carry, but even if they didn't I would carry factory ammunition.

Factory ammunition has undergone exhaustive testing in all applications and been proven reliable. While my reloads always go bang and cycle my gun, I would never trust the ballistic performance of a recipe that hasn't been through the gamut of testing from trained professionals.

7. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    Just curious, what would the gamut consist of, exactly, and what would be the training of these professionals?

8. Smoker

Smoker

Jul 21, 2008
    NE Kansas
    Jeeezzz, lets discuss oil vs grease or another topic thats not beat into the ground.

9. jmorris

jmorris

Apr 13, 2006
    I guess every round I load could be an SD load but none of them ever have been. Up close with enough attackers to make Chuck Norris run and hide (that's SHTF for you), if I had to use a pistol, it would be one of my open pistols. Major 9 is hotter than any factory ammo (115@1480fps) and even if I didn't hit them, they would be deaf.

Legally, I wouldn't be worrying about anything except winning, if I were ever in a save life event. However, I have to admit I spent more time thinking how to "stay out" of trouble than "get out".

10. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    What would be the legal implications of shooting a bad guy with target handloads you'd left in your CCW weapon after range practice?

11. Boxerglocker

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    You really should read the thread I posted a link of above. It may enlighten you on some very interesting facts regarding the topic. Pay particular attention to the posts by Mas and David.

12. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    I really have read them.

13. Boxerglocker

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    Maybe not :upeyes:

14. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    Don't feel bad. People can disagree. ;)

15. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    It's been beat to death & there are those that will always think they know more than the professionals that actually design & develope the ammo. Using a handload for full time slef def will be about how you articulate why. If it was what you had in your gun after range time, I doubt it goes furtther than that. If you sepnt hours developing & testing your load that you sepcifically put up for use against that poor misguided gang banger, well, you are not likely going to jail, but you are so getting sued by the survivers.:upeyes:

16. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    However you feel about the carrying handloads issue, I still think it's prudent to get your load development out of the way. Remember all the people whining that couldn't find any ammo when Obama got elected? Remember the rush for ammo in 1999? Legislation, price hikes, zombie infestation :whistling:... any number of factors might change your opinion on the subject. I think it best to have gone through your testing and have a bunch made up just in case.

17. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    I don't think loading your own for a SHTF situation is going to have any negative consequences. All lawyers will be dead already, no way they get to live with all the people hating them.

18. sellersm

sellersm disciplinare

May 28, 2009
    CO
    :rofl:

I think fredj338 gave some sound advice. I'd probably use Power Pistol or Unique, just cuz I've got lots of it..... I think in SHTF, any 'good' JHP would work fine.

As ZombieSteve said, work 'em up now, and then start pulling the handle to begin making & storing them. If you never need them, sell 'em!