Roll mark ?

Discussion in 'GATE AR-15 Forum' started by Rocken, Apr 5, 2011.

  1. I'm looking to get my first black rifle. I'm very familiar with traditional long rifles, but at a lost with ARs. I was looking at quite a few in the local shop. Different brands, barrel lenghts, calibers.... and I asked in his opinion who makes the better or best AR (noob question, I know). His reply was to direct me to a keyhole looking roll mark on the upper right of the receiver. He proceeded to hand me at least 4 different makes of rifles. Some were the least expensive, some were his most expensive, all had the same roll mark. He then stated the receivers were all made by the same shop. He basically said pick one.
    My question, is this roll mark the mark of the machine shop making the receivers or are all ARs marked as such?
  2. Loading...

    Similar Threads Forum Date
    School Me On Colt AR Names/Rollmarks Black Rifle Forum Dec 24, 2012
    Nicest looking rollmark on a pistol? General Firearms Forum Jun 9, 2012
    Removing roll marks General Firearms Forum Apr 4, 2012
    Colt LE 6940 rollmark question Black Rifle Forum Mar 8, 2012
    Colt discontinuing the “restricted to Military and L.E." roll mark Black Rifle Forum Aug 27, 2011

  3. Constructor


    The mark is the forge mark, the forge sells to many companies to machine then those companies sell to many more assembly companies. Most companies even big ones like S&W buy many of their AR parts, S&W buys some if not all of their barrels from ER SHAW, their uppers seem to be YHM with the keyhole forge mark, seen the same forge mark on Daniel Defense uppers.

  4. That explains it. Is the receiver milled by the same company that forges them?
  5. Constructor


    No, some assembly companies mill their own but most buy them from DOD contractors.

Share This Page

Duty Gear at CopsPlus