close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rock River Questions...

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by gordo993, Jan 21, 2011.

1. gordo993

gordo993
    Expand Collapse

I am researching the cost effectiveness of building an AR-15 set up the way I want it versus buying a complete AR and fine tuning it. Both ideas have positives and negatives, but my most pressing question involves Rock Rivers...

On their online catalog, the LAR-15 midlength can be had in either the A2 or A4 varieties. Aside from price - the A2 is $35 more than the A4 - and weight - the A2 is 7.5 lbs and the A4 is 7.1 lbs, what's the difference?

Tia!

2. WayaX

WayaX
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

Different upper receiver. A2 has carrier handle built in A4 has a top rail. A4 would be better.

As far as buy or build....

You can build a better rifle. You can build rifle cheaper. You cannot build a better rifle cheaper.

The best deal right now is BCM as far as cost for quality. Don't let people fool you, not all AR's are built equally.

3. gordo993

gordo993
    Expand Collapse

What about the Smith & Wesson M&P-15? Or should I save up and go with the Ruger SR-556?

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

4. ColdBlooded

ColdBlooded
    Expand Collapse

S&W makes good mid tier ARs. I like my carbine, and I have made a few mods. If I had to do it over again, I would look at building a midlength from Bravo Comp. I would get a Direct Impingement LMT before I bought the piston SR-556 if I was spending that kind of money.

[​IMG]

#4 ColdBlooded, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  5. WayaX

WayaX
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

For the money the Smith is okay. The Ruger is not worth the price. For the money of the Ruger you could get a Noveske or a BCM with optics. Seriously though, look at BCM (bravo company manufacturing).