close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rock River Arms?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by dad2thebone, Oct 17, 2009.

1. dad2thebone

dad2thebone
    Expand Collapse
    Hi caliber golf

I wanted to get some opinions on the AR I purchased a year ago. Rock River Arms A4 with 18'' bull barrell. It seemed at the time that RRA might be slightly better quality than a Bushy or other "entry level" AR's. Then I saw a review of several AR's in some combat gun magazine, and RRA was pretty far down the list. The trigger seems to be a bit nicer than others. Bought gun for varmints and plinking.

Paid $900, so felt like the price was right, anyway.

Any feedback on RRA quality and performance would be appreciated.
    (Ever see any of the RRA 1911's? They seem to be VERY nice at $1,500-$2,500).

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. MARSH1

MARSH1
    Expand Collapse
    Dealer
    Silver Member

They make a great Varmint AR. Gun rags tend to rate based on advertising.

3. pmwglock19

pmwglock19
    Expand Collapse

I bought an a2 national match rra at camp perry in august. It came with a nm barrrel, 2 stage trigger and nm sight. My son bought an rra carbine upper. We shot his at a 3 gun match and it shot well. Neither of us had any complaints with the rifle.

I have not had a chance to site the gun in yet. I paid $900 for my rifle also. The barrel is a little heavy but otherwise IMHO well built.

4. mangkukhan

mangkukhan
    Expand Collapse

I only buy Stag and RRA, both are outstanding. Keep in mind if RRA was crap then the DEA, Secret Service, Homeland Security and other federal agencies wouldn't issue them.

5. volsbear

volsbear
    Expand Collapse
    IWannaBeSedated
    Lifetime Member

I absolutely love my RRA Pro-Series Government (the civilian version of the DEA contract rifle). Last time at the range, my buddy with the expensive Colt ran most of his mags through my RRA.

6. G23c

G23c
    Expand Collapse

my Tactical Entry is rock solid.

7. dad2thebone

dad2thebone
    Expand Collapse
    Hi caliber golf

Thanks for the replies, I've been really happy with mine so far. So do you think the RRA is any better than a DPMS, Bushy, etc?

8. HogGlocker

HogGlocker
    Expand Collapse
    Owner Since 88'

I have one RRA....bought back in 00 or 01....M4 style flat top.

Have shot the hell out of it and it has been totally reliable...heavy contour R4 barrel....very accurate.

IT shoots as well as my Colt, BM and two M&P15.

Shes a keeper.

9. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR
    Expand Collapse

RRA is a great varminter. Since that is what the OP bought and is his intended usage then you is absolutely well equipped. Yes gun rags give glowing reviews to big ad clients. Ever read a bad article about a Taurus gun? Nope and they are absolute trash in most models.

Secret Service? Last time I knew they had Colts. And most rifles issues to the Federale's will just be taken out to qualify once or twice a year, if they even ever get a round shot through them and just sit unfired for years. Hardly a hallmark of quality based on hard usage.

And just because a big LEA uses them, doesn't make then good. Heck Illinois State Police issues ArmaLite.:whistling:

To the OP. You bought a RRA varmint model to shoot varmints. At that they are very good, especially for the price point they are in. As to Duty type firearms....well, RRA should stick to varmint models. :whistling:

I will admit that RRA is trying to clean up their issues. But slowly.

10. Kentak

Kentak
    Expand Collapse

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that virtually all of the mainstream makers rifles are going to be decent quality rifles.

It's my understanding that they get parts from many of the same suppliers who specialize in the making of those parts. Parts like barrels, upper and lower receivers, triggers, stocks, etc. Can anyone say for certain what parts Rock River, Bushmaster, Stag, DPMS, etc., make in house? It seems the main differences you are going to see is in things like finish, choice of furniture, sights, accessories, and that sort of thing. Care in assembly and quality control are obvious issues. If you get a weapon with a bad finish or out of spec assembly, return it and demand it be made right. All makers are going to have their occasional slips, but will correct them if they care about their rep, and most do. Internet being what it is, the makers of junk won't be able to hide for long.

11. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR
    Expand Collapse

I highlighted the important parts of your posts.

Decent is a key word. What may be fine for some users may be substandard for others.

And yes, most AR "makers" do not make a single part. They just assemble ordered parts from the big "suppliers" or actual makers of the parts.(I.E. CMT or LAR)
    The difference is that one "maker" specs their parts to be of "this" quality from a supplier like CMT. And another "maker" specifies a different and much better quality parts from the same supplier like CMT and hold a much higher Q&C standards and inspections.

12. thunderbat

thunderbat
    Expand Collapse

I have two and am very pleased with both of them. They are tack drivers and built solidly. I would like to know what the detractors consider to be sub standard parts that RRA uses--OMG, my castle nut was not staked at the factory, nevermind, yes RRA are junk:yawn:

13. Kentak

Kentak
    Expand Collapse

Please give some examples of each and explain in what way the specs are different.

I'll give you one, though I can't name specific makers. I know some makers have barrels of xyz grade steel and others uses zyx grade steel. How many users, including LE agencies, will ever see an empirical difference in those barrels, and if they do, over what round count? If I gave you a rifle with an unmarked barrel, how would *you* ever tell what grade of steel it was?

14. dad2thebone

dad2thebone
    Expand Collapse
    Hi caliber golf

Thanks, all for the inciteful points. I'm new to the forum, and appreciate the knowledge, wisdom and experience here.
    One point I picked up already on this thread is that the gun mags would slant coverage based on favorite sponsors. The Taurus example makes lots of sense to me.
    I always knew gun mags were trying to sell me guns, but bending a field test to fit their agenda was something I wouldn't have expected. Now that I think about it, you can see it.

Do you guys think Rifleman is unbiased? Any mags or books you see as more fair or true? Maybe this is for another thread...

15. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn
    Expand Collapse
    Got Pignose?

Mine has been perfect, but I am not a brand whore, or snob. I also didn't put a $35,000 optic on it. I did have to properly stake my gas key, but that was no big deal. I had to do that on other brands too.

If you want to get into the nuts and bolts, check this link. If you follow the tweaks, you'll not only learn a lot about your rifle, you will have a closer to mil-spec rifle. It can be a neat project for a winter afternoon.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

This links to a chart of the what and why, and explains "the chart". The first part of the first sentence links to "the chart".

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

16. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR
    Expand Collapse

Lowers and uppers so tight that you need a hammer and punch to push the pins. That is really needed for a combat type gun.:upeyes:

Two stage match triggers that are known to go TU after relatively low round counts. That is really needed for a combat type gun.:upeyes:

Match chambers. That is really needed for a combat type gun.:upeyes:

Dremeled feed ramps instead of spending the extra dollar and doing it right. And yes. I have been told it is a one dollar cost to the companies to to it right by several sources.

Using glue instead of proper staking. Again, That is really needed for a combat type gun.:upeyes:

17. dad2thebone

dad2thebone
    Expand Collapse
    Hi caliber golf

What's TU?

18. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701
    Expand Collapse
    Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

Toes up. Dead.

19. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR
    Expand Collapse

Hummm, since this is a family site...or I would like to keep it as clean as possible..

TU= "Female Mammary Glands" UP.

20. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701
    Expand Collapse
    Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

I went for the more family friendly version :tongueout: