close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rock Island Armory 10mm Review Part TWO!!

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by SigFTW, Dec 5, 2012.

1. steve4102

steve4102
    Expand Collapse

Glad I purchased mine when I did. Cheaper Than Dirt no longer sells firearms.
    Is there any other retailer selling (or not selling) the 10mm besides CTD?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. glock2740

glock2740
    Expand Collapse
    Gun lover.

Very nice. Like the polished crown alot. :thumbsup:

3. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

I don't load 10mm, but 7.6 grains of Unique sure seems like an awful lot for a 165 grain bullet. A quick glance at Sierra shows 7.1 grains max, and Lyman 49 shows 7.3 grains. No surprise it's snappy. :wow:

As much as I love Unique, it's a little fast burning once you get past normal service cartridges like 9mm, .45 auto, .40, et cetera. I would seriously consider a slower powder like Blue Dot, AA#9 or 800X for full power 10mm.

Glolt20-91 likes this.
  4. SigFTW

SigFTW
    Expand Collapse

I have confirmed the loading data and also checked for pressure signs, it's fine. However, I will be switching to Blue or AA#9 for mid to hot loads. I used Blue Dot back in the 90s when I bought my first 10mm (S&W1006) and it work great. So there will be more load development with a 180gr bullet and AA or Blue powder. I want a load that will work in both of my 10mm so I don't have to have two different loads.

5. SigFTW

SigFTW
    Expand Collapse

Just finished some mods to the RIA 10mm.

Changed out the MSH to an Ed Brown chain-link design. I also included one for my Kimber stainless.

Modified (dremeled) the feed ramp and mouth of the barrel, just enough to reduce any snagging of any flat nose bullets.

Installed the 20lb recoil spring.

Changed out the sear spring to a Wolff.

Out of pocket upgrades:
    MSH: $46.99
    20lb spring $7.89
    Sear Spring $6.49

Future mods: new hammer springs, 3 pack with different lbs $8.99, are on the way (along with a digital trigger gauge).

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

New MSH
    [​IMG]

#25 SigFTW, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  6. SigFTW

SigFTW
    Expand Collapse

Finlay made it out to the range yesterday before Super Bowl. Was the perfect weather for outdoor shooting!

The range session before this one I installed the 18.5 lb spring, and it ran fine but still had one FTF (just required a quick tap to the back and it seated just fine), and was still way too light.

Yesterday’s session was with the 20 lb spring installed. Not one FTF and the brass was ejecting correctly. Accuracy was fantastic after lowering the trigger weight some, just eat out the bullseye at 7 yards, will try 15 then 20 later.

Latest mod:
    Cut down the hammer main spring by 2 coils and dropped the hammer pull by almost 1lb, to about 5.5. I will continue with this setup and see if the trigger smoothes out anymore after 1000 rounds.

The RIA 10mm is running 100% and I am very happy with a $600.00 1911 style 10mm.

[​IMG]

GlockPride likes this.
  7. Bohica_a_a

Bohica_a_a
    Expand Collapse

Good looking gun.

8. SigFTW

SigFTW
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, It's still running strong!

9. Squib308

Squib308
    Expand Collapse

just ordered an RIA 10mm w/o pic rail (sorry but for me rail looks ridiculous on a 1911).

plan to swap in a 26# recoil spring and probably 25lb hammer spring. i mostly shoot 180gr FMJ at 1250-1300 ft/s, so the heavier spring is a must. for the whimpy factory loads i could swap in a 20#.

any other suggestions from those of you out there who own these?
    are the VZ grips too aggressive?

has anyone had the front strap checkered? either that or I will apply some skateboard tape.

SigFTW likes this.
  10. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN
    Expand Collapse
    NRA MEMBER

Did you do all that whatever it is to the feed ramp? Specifically the waviness on the right side?

11. agtman

agtman
    Expand Collapse
    10mm Spartiate

Jeez-Louise, that looks like crap. Sorry but RIA is off my "To-Buy" list if that's how the pean's kick 'em out of the island factory. :puking:

12. Jason D

Jason D
    Expand Collapse
    INFRINGED
    Silver Member Millennium Member
    1. Project Mayhem

Great write up.

I am fairly new to the 10mm.
    I found some old Bull X 175 grain wadcutters the other day and am loading them up for my Delta. Right round 9 grains of Blue Dot should make for about 1150-1200 FPS.

13. DWARREN123

DWARREN123
    Expand Collapse
    Grumpy Old Guy

RIAs may not be the prettiest but they seem to run just fine.
    I have 2 RIA 1911s in 9mm and love them!

14. Sigobsessed

Sigobsessed
    Expand Collapse
    Good looking

image.jpeg

This is my RIA tactical in 10mm it's bone stock and I've run some pretty hot loads without issue, I have not had any malfunctions but it does eject the brass quite far!

Glolt20-91, Big1 and GlockFan7 like this.
  15. SigFTW

SigFTW
    Expand Collapse

For the money you can't beat a 10mm Roc! Yes, it has some ugly parts but all in all, it's a solid gun for the price.

16. SigFTW

SigFTW
    Expand Collapse

No, the feed ramp shown in the before picture is how it came.

17. agtman

agtman
    Expand Collapse
    10mm Spartiate

Good to hear. Yeah I was commenting on looks, not performance. If it runs hiccup-free and you can hit with it, then you're right, an RIA is a great deal at its price-point as against other 10mm 1911s.

18. GlockFan7

GlockFan7
    Expand Collapse

I've been quite pleased with mine. It has the newer smaller logo, which I prefer. I've left it bone stock, with no mods and I don't intend to change a thing. I think it's great buy for the money. It's surprisingly tight. The trigger is decent and has gotten even better after some break-in. The sights are accurate and it's fired everything I've run through it. I don't have many 10mm mags, but it runs great with my .45 Kimber Tac Mags. Just pulling back on the slide, the recoil spring feels significantly heavier than any of the 16 to 18lbs springs in my .45s. I'd have to say 20lbs or better. I have no interest in reloading, and 10mm ammo can be pricey, but I'm pretty impressed with Sig Elite FMJ ammo and so far is the cheapest thing I've run through it.

19. agtman

agtman
    Expand Collapse
    10mm Spartiate

The Sig line of 10mm ammo isn't bad at all for the price-point. The FMJ load sports a "box-flap" velocity spec of 1250fps. I'm a longtime, huge critic of feeding your 10mm pistol (of whatever make) watered-down .40-level crapola 10mm ammo.

So a bud and I were out for a "10mm day" of shooting recently at the local range and we chrono-ed some of his 10mm handloads, along with about 20-rds of Sig's 180gn FMJ ammo. From his relatively new 5" SS Delta (stock barrel), it was averaging right about 1245fps +/- .

Just FYI, but that's about what DT's old 180gn FMJ "practice"/ training load was doing when McNett first offered it back about 2005. Bought and shot up a ton of that. That load too had a box-flap velocity spec of 1250fps. The Sig ammo actually felt hotter than DT's, going by memory and "plain feel."

A magazine full of the Sig 180gn load thru my 5" 1006, with hand-fitted Bar-Sto tube, was up a bit - around 1260fps +/-.

Again, I prefer handloading my practice loads, but for a non-watered down, no B.S. factory 10mm load, competitively priced, Sig's line is hard to beat.

I haven't had a chance yet to try Sig's 180gn JHP version at the same velocity. Maybe someone else here has and can chime in.

#39 agtman, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016