close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Roanoke Times Article

Discussion in 'Glockers of the Old Dominion' started by TScottW99, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Sporwick

Sporwick

Nov 13, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    I think so too. I was reading it and i closed it by accident and now it wont re-open that section. He was responding on there.

2. Sporwick

Sporwick

Nov 13, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Has anyone tried to access the list? I just tried it and it says "no data." Is it possible that it has now been removed?

EDIT: Sorry, it wasnt taken down. It was just acting up.

3. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Roanoke, VA
  4. MD2010

MD2010

Feb 17, 2007
    Norfolk, VA
    I posted on Mark's article and I sent an email to Mr. Trejbal regarding his arrogance and ignorance.

5. mayberrypd

mayberrypd

Sep 26, 2002
    Virginia
    Roanoke Area Guys,

Watch the WDBJ7 news tonight.

6. mouser

mouser CLM

Dec 29, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    I asked that question earlier, on the other thread. No one's listed any yet. I tried to find a few on the website, but have only found Verizon. We need a paper to try to get the local advertisers.
    I'm not expecting to find any Roanoke Times in Alexandria, unfortunately.

I think the paper also needs to understand that their columnist will be expected to be held accountable should anyone be harmed from that irresponsible, arrogant, bullying (he didn't think he would be at any risk for getting in CCW's faces) jerk. Maybe VCDL will have an idea as to how to have law enforcement look at possible reckless endangerment charges.

7. iiibbb

iiibbb

Jun 1, 2004
    Virginia
    http://www.roanoke.com/gunpermits/

The Roanoke Times Removes Database of Handgun Permit Holders

March 12, 2007 — The Roanoke Times has decided to remove the online database of registered concealed handgun permit holders from its website.

The newspaper is requesting the Virginia State Police, which provided the information, verify the data.

“When we posted the information, we had every reason to believe that the data the State Police had supplied would comply with the statutes. But people have notified us that the list includes names that should not have been released,” said Debbie Meade, president and publisher of The Roanoke Times. “Out of a sense of caution and concern for the public we have decided to take the database off of our website.”

The database was posted on roanoke.com on Sunday as part of a New River Valley editorial page column about open records. This column, as well as others that will be published this week, is part of a special focus on Sunshine Week, a national initiative to raise awareness about open government and freedom of information.

http://blogs.roanoke.com/roundtable/columns/comment_on_trejbals_column_12.html

8. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    There should be an apology somewhere in their words...BUT, I ain't putting money on it.

:upeyes:

9. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

Feb 7, 2003
    Midlothian Va.
    what more can you say..

Amazing how stupid some folks can be on purpose. He wanted sensationalism, he got it.. I just really truly pray that no one suffers ill effects from this however doubtful that may be. Oh geez.. there i go bringing religion into it.. i should be ashamed.. NOT..

geez..

Jeff.

10. Slinger646

Slinger646 King of Sling

Sep 5, 2004
    In the Mountains of VA
    Dont let this thing stall guys, keep emailing and harassing people....I want this guy in the unemployment line.

Dont let the momentum of Zumbo, HR1022 and the DC ban be lost :rock:

11. dbrowne1

dbrowne1 Senior Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Virginia
    I have not looked into this at all legally, but I'm wondering why the VSP sent them this information in the first place, and if it was proper for them to release this information at all. I'm sure there are others looking into it.

12. fohmix

fohmix S&W SW9VE

Dec 22, 2005
    Bedford, VA
    I'm no legal expert, but I am hoping that someone finds a way to form this into a class action suit against the RT and/or Christian.

Nothing like being sued by 130K+ Virginians who have proved themselves to be law abiding citizens!

13. Auburn

Auburn WAR EAGLE!

Apr 24, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    I just joined VCDL today too...as the direct result of this situation.

14. dbrowne1

dbrowne1 Senior Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Virginia
    Not gonna happen. First Amendment almost certainly protects them on this one. If anybody made a mistake, and can be sued, it will be the Commonwealth.

15. bhart89

bhart89

Dec 7, 2002
    VA
    I went to the Roanoke Times site today and clicked on a link to all of their employees and I could not find the origional author of the story on CHP's. Maybe they let him go? Anyone know if this is true?

16. Goaltender66

Goaltender66 NRA GoldenEagle

You know...

I noticed Roanoke.com has a privacy policy:

http://www.roanoke.com/newsservices/wb/xp-59616

In it there are terms and conditions for people who submit content. One of those conditions is:
    Pity Trejbal and the editorial board of this paper can't be bothered to abide by the terms they demand from everyone else....

ETA: Another nugget from their privacy policy:

I don't believe they got my advance permission before they disclosed my personal information on their website.....