close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Roadblocks???

Discussion in 'Mississippi Glockers' started by Cuttin_up, Feb 12, 2007.

1. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Dec 31, 2000
    AZ
    I agree that a conviction is a stretch. However, I think we are debating two separate angles of this thing.

While I can see both sides of the legal interpretations of the law, I am trying to point out that, while you may win the fight in the end (by not showing your permit), is the cost and hassle really worth it? Would it be better to just show your permit to the LEO, even if you technically don't have to? Better safe than sorry?

That is something that has no uniform right/wrong answer. That can only be determined by each individual. Personally, I don't see an issue with showing the permit, and have never had a problem or second glance on the few times I have.

2. lumberjack

lumberjack One of Many

May 3, 2004
    Mississippi
    Maybe we can get Nolo (Stephen) to get this addressed this summer when he works with the senators.

I agree with your point that its easy to enough to hand him the extra card, I think its unnecessary however. I guess my issue is that the law is interpreted differently, similar to how the 2nd Amendment can be interpreted. Plain letter law would be a lovely thing. Case law in our favor (guns in general) would be another lovely thing.

I am for taking back our rights, not conceding them to higher levels of control and personal invasion. There is a line and it shouldn't be crossed.

Been a good debate/conversation I think. I know I learned from it :)

Does anyone know offhand what the law says (regarding the penalty) for carrying without a permit?

3. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Dec 31, 2000
    AZ
    The statutes regulating permits and concealed carry is Title 45, Chapter 9, section 101 (45-9-101), and can be found BY CLICKING HERE.

The only thing I can find in there regarding open carry is near the bottom with 45-9-101 (18). It states, Nothing in this section shall be construed to require or allow the registration, documentation or providing of serial numbers with regard to any firearm. Further, nothing in this section shall be construed to allow the open and unconcealed carrying of any deadly weapon as described in Section 97-37-1, Mississippi Code of 1972.

Now, 97-37-1 is in the section dealing with crimes and details out the penalties for carrying a weapon without a permit. However, it only talks about "concealed in whole or in part".

4. lumberjack

lumberjack One of Many

May 3, 2004
    Mississippi
    Much thanks Ox. I forgot the link to the MS code page, bookmarked now!

Carl