close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

RIP - Jim Marshall of Marshall Amps

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JohnBT, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Magnus2131

Magnus2131 Glock Gimp

Aug 9, 2008
    Kansas
    Yes someone was telling me he died and at first I thought they were referring to the Vikings Jim Marshall.

2. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Nov 12, 2005
    Louisiana
    Best sounding amp in the world, second place is not even close, whoever that is.

3. Aahzz

Aahzz Who?

Sep 7, 2001
    Union, KY
    I observed a moment of loudness in his honor :)

4. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    "...but these go to eleven." HH

5. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Aug 22, 2003
    Nevada
  6. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE. Back to being a wage slave.

Oct 22, 2006
    Central Arizona
    A Marshall stack is pretty one-dimensional. They are good for hard rock, but not much else.

I really like the sound of a nice Vox tube amp.

Something to keep in mind next time you see a big stack of Marshall speakers at a concert. Most or more probably all of them are dummy cabinets that don't even have a speaker in them. The guitar sound you are hearing is most likely coming from a small mic'ed combo amp backstage.

Kiss was famous for this. The walls of Marshall cabs were empty cabs. The guys who ran the follow spots had to be careful because the follow spots would shine into the back of empty cabs

This was the de facto standard for most rock/metal bands. A few others:

George Lynch: Had 8 Marshall dummy heads and dummy cabs covered in snakeskin vinyl. Only the rocker switches were electrified. He actually used three old Marshall heads and a couple of old cabs...behind the backline.

Mick Mars: Had over 30 dummy Marshall heads on stage, all with working rocker lamps. He had a similar setup to Lynch.

EVH: On their mos recent tour, he had, I think, 16 cabs and heads, all dummies. He admitted in an interview that he had a couple of heads and cabs behind the backline that made up his real rig.

One refreshing departure from the '80s norm: Mark Kendall of Great White used to tour with a single Boogie Mark IV combo, set on......a chair! A great player with a realistic rig!

Everybody that has been to more than a few rock concerts has SEEN a Marshall amp, but very few of them have ever actually heard a Marshall amp.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  7. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

I think Marshall's best was the 18 watt Bluesbreaker. For me, the best amps are tweed and blackfaced Fenders along with Vox A 15 & AC30. They can go clean or dirty and sound fantastic.

8. Southpaw69

Southpaw69

Dec 28, 2007
    California
    In the late 80's i bought a 1978 JMP 50 watt head for $100. I gigged with it for years and it had the best rock tone ever. My entire rig was that head, 4x12 marshall cab, Dunlop crybaby, Ibanez tube screamer(level on 10, gain on 0 for solos) and my Les Paul Standard.

The head got stolen in the late 90's and I've never been able to get the tone back....damn it.

9. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam

Marshall amplifiers were designed to do one thing and one thing only, and that was to produce the best rock and roll guitar sound ever. The fact that so many performers used wall to wall phoney cabinets in live venues indicates just how good one real one could produce all that sound. HH

10. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Aug 22, 2003
    Nevada
    I have a '64 Vox AC30 Top Boost. Too bad I don't have the skills to make it sing like it should.

Considering my first name is Marshall it is ironic the only Marshall amp I have ever was a little solid state combo.

I never had a need for a stack or half stack. I had a Hiwatt half stack for a while but it was so ungodly loud I got rid of it. I sure wish I still had my 65 Fender Deluxe Reverb...and my '57 Les Paul Jr....and my '62 Jazzmaster

MF

11. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

Jan 2, 2000
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I only play Marshall. I'd love to have an Orange too, but I wouldn't ever get rid of my JCM for anything else.

If the sound isn't for you, that's fine, but it is for most people. Even the combo amps I've had (Boogie, Vox, Fender) sounded better through a Marshall 4x12.

Check out behind me in this pic, JCM 2000 DSL, 1980 JCM800 1960A cab and a '76 1960B cab once owned by KISS:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  12. SMSTRICK

SMSTRICK "WE THE PEOPLE"

Nov 4, 2003
    Tennessee
    Here is a tid bit : Marshall was actually a VERY accomplished drummer / teacher. He actually was a early teacher of Mitch Mitchell,....who later became the drummer for Jimi Hendrix. Marshall worked with Mitchell long before he started building amps and such.

13. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

WOW! A 64 AC30TB? Now that's a great and valuable amp. I can't imagine a Hiwatt half being louder than that. Very few venues where you can open up an AC30.

14. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Nov 12, 2005
    Louisiana

What else is there? :tongueout:

Also, Jimi Hendrix would disagree.

You are spot on about the rock concert sound, but I was speaking from personal experience of jamming out. Playing clean, most amps are just amplifying the volume. A Marshall always seemed to let the guitar's tone come through. Back when I had a big Marshall I was jamming a Les Paul & Strat and it sounded unbelievable.

Even when I was less serious about playing music, the little $59.99 Marshalls that are made in Asia sound pretty dang good.

15. 3glkdog

3glkdog

Jun 1, 2006
    LV, NV
    I feel so inferior reading this thread with my 30w Line 6 Spider III. But its gonna have to do for now.

16. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

RIP Mr. Marshall and thanks for making hearing loss such an enjoyable experience.