close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Riots at Wisconsin State Fair

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by MeefZah, Aug 6, 2011.

1. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    I'm kind of surprised this hasn't been posted already. I looked through the first 2 pages, maybe I missed it?

Large groups of black teens engage in multiple riots around closing at the Wisconisin State Fair, assaulting first each other and then random white patrons; tearing up nearby neighborhoods. 7 cops injured. 24 rioters arrested.

I believe there is a GT member who is (or was getting hired by) Wisconsin State Park PD... ?

Some are calling for hate crime charges to be filed, which seems totally logical to me.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/0...ighborhoods-surrounding-wisconsin-state-fair/

Link to a list of other stories and politicians responses:

http://www.fox6now.com/news/state-fair-rampage/

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  2. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Jul 18, 2007
    Arkansas
    Someone who is getting attacked will be carrying eventually. It will not end well for the attackers.

3. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

WI's CCW bill doesn't go into effect until November 1st of this year. Also public events such as the state fair will be no carry places.

4. ronduke

ronduke

Jan 24, 2007
  5. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    Those guys are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Pretty interesting letter to their constituents.

7. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

Oct 5, 2001
    Arizona
    I remember someone asking about their PD, but I don't know if he got hired.

8. Fiery Red XIII

Fiery Red XIII Adorkable CLM

Sep 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Someone in GNG's thread on his had a statement from the PD chief that he'd heard 0 reports of attacks.

Red

9. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Feb 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Nope. I called State Fair Police since I'm planning on going this week. Off duty cops can't carry on the grounds.

Ironically, my first police interview ever was with the State Fair Police. I bombed it. Oh well...

10. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Feb 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Yep, that was me! I'm somewhere else now.

I do have a close friend who works for West Allis PD (the city that hosts the State Fair). They got called in for help. He was probably working that night.

11. freakshow10mm

Isn't 941.23 an exemption? When I was going to cop school in WI, we were told WI LE can carry "off duty" ie out of uniform anywhere in the state unless it's private property and posted. State fairgrounds is public property.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  12. Doc8404

Doc8404 Master Chief

Jan 2, 2011
    central NY
    that's asinine.

13. ICARRY2

ICARRY2 NRA Life Member

Dec 22, 2007
    All these city Aldermen want is more money to combat a problem money can't solve. Money can't buy good parenting.

Remember Clinton's Midnight Basketball solution? :upeyes:

14. freakshow10mm

They want their citizens to behave themselves. That doesn't cost one penny.

Besides, good parenting doesn't cost money, it costs time. If they think it costs money, they can spend their welfare check on their children instead of drugs.

15. lloydchristmas

lloydchristmas 132 and Bush

May 22, 2010
    Wis-cow-nsin
    Currently:

941.23 Carrying concealed weapon. Any person except a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Notwithstanding s. 939.22 (22), for purposes of this section, peace officer does not include a commission warden who is not a state-certified commission warden

939.22(22) (22) "Peace officer" means any person vested by law with a duty to maintain public order or to make arrests for crime, whether that duty extends to all crimes or is limited to specific crimes. "Peace officer" includes a commission warden.

Referring to our new CCW law effective November 1st:

The law prohibiting the possession or under one’s control a firearm on land located in [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]state parks or state fish hatcheries [/FONT][/FONT]unless the firearm is unloaded and in a carrying case does not apply to a licensee or an out-of state licensee [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]if the firearm is a handgun[/FONT][/FONT], or to a law enforcement officer, a person employed as a law enforcement officer by a public agency in Wisconsin, a qualified out-of-state law enforcement officer, or a former officer if they meet certain conditions. [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Wis. Stat. § 29.089(2)(a)-(d); 29.091(1) and (2). [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Note that federal law applies to federal property.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]If I was going, I'd be carrying......
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

16. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    But it buys votes:steamed:

17. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Unless somebody can up with another applicable statute, I don't see how LE would be prohibited from carrying there. Their PD, or just the Chief, may have his head up his butt...lord knows we've heard plenty of anti-gun stuff from department administrators in the past. FWIW, I wouldn't go to such a venue without a gun even if there hadn't been the violence earlier.

18. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Feb 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I wouldn't go there without carrying, either. Now it looks like I have to either not go or take my chances with the interpretations of statute vs. what the lady on the phone said.

I think I'll still go. If I'm covered under the statute, I should be fine, right?

ETA: this is all there is on their website...

I guess my only question is if they have a written policy somewhere I could look at?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  19. x_out86

x_out86

Feb 19, 2007
    Wisconsin
    A buddy of mine works for West Allis PD, who luckily enough (yeah right), has the state fair park in their jurisdiction. He said this is not the first time this BS has gone on in the area.

Prior to the state fair going on, these "flash mob beatings" were going on in other parks around the area. Joe Blow and his family would be out having a picnic with their family when a group of jagoffs would show up...beat your ass...and then leave.

WTF is wrong with these people?

20. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Jul 18, 2007
    Arkansas
    They have a lead deficiency????