Rimfire home defense

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by James Markov, Nov 23, 2006.

1. :wow:"I ALWAYS SHOOT THEM IN THE RIGHT EYE, AND I NEVER MISS" James Bond

OVERTHEHILLGUY

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. mac66

mac66 Huge Member
    Millennium Member

I am not really supposed to talk about this but...

... the French Para Airborne Navel Special Infantry Equipment Squadran (PANSIES) were issued 22s to hunt terrorists in Antartica. They'd still be there but their commanders surrendered to a bunch of little guys dressed in tuxedos. :upeyes:

#342 mac66, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  3. wjv

wjv

Upgrade to 40gr Velocitors. . Same company (CCI). . But they are Stingers on Steroids. . Good track record of deep penetration (9"+) and expansion (0.32"+), with 90%+ bullet weight retention.

4. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

Excellent suggestion. I have heard that those are nasty little rounds...... I am on the prowl for some now. Thanks for the tip and stay safe, everyone!

G.

5. The Velocitors are a good load in a .22 rifle as well. I always keep some on hand. Veral Smith (LBT Bullets) a few years ago was telling folks to stock up on them. He was very impressed with their performance. One of his points was that they are loaded similar to the high speed .22 LR in the days of old. The Velocitors have higher velocity than most high speed 40 grain loads with a better bullet. They would be a good load for the guy that keeps a .22 as a farm gun or for a last ditch survival gun.

6. In another thread the guy is looking at .22 pocket pistols because of a law in north carolina says it has to be a .22 lr. Anybody know what law that is?

#346 James Markov, Jan 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  7. I gather its a hunting issue...

8. I wouldn't consider a .22 auto because of the possibility of a misfire/jam, but I like a .22 revolver. I have the .22LR S&W 317 1 7/8" barrel, 8 shots, super light weight, much better follow up ability than my 340PD because it has practically no recoil, plus 8 shots vs. 5. On the other hand the bigger bullet has better stopping power, and - another thing that's not mentioned much - the bigger hole in front has more intimidation power, since in most cases you'll just want to defuse the situation and, ideally, capture the bad guy without actually shooting. The 317 is lighter than the Scandium 340PD .38/.357, too. So I'm OK carrying either, but for home defense I prefer a Glock.

9. Not to discount the big muzzle/bigger threat notion entirely -- but I somehow doubt that the VAST majority of people staring down the wrong end of the barrel of the gun would be spending too much time measuring the diameter of the bore. I suspect that their reaction would be to either: 1) run away; or 2) continue to attack because they're plain crazy. But it won't be because they took the time to judge the bore dimension.

Just MHO...

10. Broncbuster

Broncbuster Dying Breed

Never really thought much about the rimfire for HD until recently. Think about a Sig 522 or new AR 22 with a can/suppressor on it if you had multiple intruders. Take them out one by one and they would never know where you were.

11. "... but I somehow doubt that the VAST majority of people staring down the wrong end of the barrel of the gun would be spending too much time measuring the diameter of the bore."

Not a matter of consciously spending time calculating. It's a visceral thing, like do you want to get in a fist fight with, a. a big guy, or, b. a little guy. Maybe the big hole in the front might penetrate the thick doped up skull, as opposed to something that might appear to be a toy.

12. I have a Taurus 94, nine shot revolver but it is not my primary home defense weapon. Those are an AR-15, Glock 30SF .45 ACP and a Taurus 651 .357 magnum. .22 is for practice.

13. Any feedback on the Taurus .22 magnum snub nose revolver?

14. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

15. For the last few years the only thing I had in the house were rimfires rifles (live in country in very low crime area with many relatives nearby). 2 marlin 99 m1's and a Glenfield model 60.

16. lanternlad

lanternlad Mythmatician

This is a story yanked from THR by a guy who USED a .22 (mag - in an NAA Mini no less) to defend his home and family.

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=433867&highlight=proud+boer

This is the news story about it from his local paper. (It happened in South Africa)
    http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?art_id=vn20080511084250123C224954&set_id=1&click_id=13&sf=

#358 lanternlad, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010

17. I recall hearing two instances in which NAA mini-revolvers (.22LR flavor) were used in self-defense situations.

In one, a man heard a ruckus outside of his camper trailer and went outside to check. Someone was waiting outside the door. He was struck in the back of the head and knocked to the ground. The man immediately drew the mini-revolver from wherever he had it stashed, and fired off three wild shots. His attacker, and 2-3 others, immediately beat feet into the surrounding woods, never to appear again.

The other situation took place, I believe, in South Africa. A man was returning home with his family to his property on a long private drive when he was stopped by three rebels armed with rifles (I would assume AK's). The man somehow managed to divert their attention momentarily, during which time he drew his revolver and shot one bad guy in the stomach. Said bad guy, probably shocked, dropped like a sack. The other two bad guys fled.

Clearly, this is not an endorsement for a .22 mini-revolver as an end-all/be-all defensive weapon -- but is an indication that positive, determined and aggressive action can stem the tide against seemingly overwhelming odds.

#359 JFrame, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  18. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

I also heard that story before and its one of the selling points for me to get a NAA Pug. With something as small and light as a NAA Pug you have no excuse not to carry. The guy in the South Africa story was wearing a frickin Tux to a formal event and was still able to be armed.

The Pug with the night sights would be great.