close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Right to "opt out" of municipal trash service??

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by wuvmyglock, Apr 18, 2012.

1. wuvmyglock

wuvmyglock

May 20, 2010
    The village I reside in took bids for trash service in order for them to generate funds... They will be tacking a $4 per month charge on top of the hauler charge.. Do I have the right to opt out and private contract with another trash service? I don't see how they can force you to use their choice.. :dunno::dunno::dunno:

2. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    I don't see how a "private contract with another trash service" is going to save you money?

Wouldn't that cost more?

3. wuvmyglock

wuvmyglock

May 20, 2010
    It would be a couple more bucks a month... Just the idea.... A person should have the right to choose... A levy was voted down a few months ago so they have decided to impose a "trash tax".. They have been irresponsible with their cash and this is a way to generate some revenue and keep them from dissolving.. Temporary fix though..

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  4. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    Around here you can opt out but you still got to dump it somewhere unless you are in an area allowed to burn, which in Ca is a different topic because of clean air standards. People who opt out are usually making dump runs instead which of course costs money.

5. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    Yep we can op out here but then you have to run it to the dump yourself and with today gas prices it would be three times more then letting them do it! So your SOL!:crying:

6. aircarver

aircarver Ride Continues Silver Member

I lived in a village that didn't have carting service, so we had to hire a private carter .... The only option private carter .... run by a Mafia family .... :alex:

7. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

Nov 22, 2004
    What will the town charge you in total and what do the local haulers charge? The town rate should be considerably cheaper, if it isn't I'd have a chat with their incompetent procurement person.

8. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Read the ordinance/law. You have the right to do exactly what the law says you can do. If there is a opt out provision, you have that option. Otherwise, you'll have to pay.

As to generating funds, no govt. can run without cash. Police, fire, schools, trash, traffic, streets/roads, city/county hospital, etc., etc., etc., they all have to pay salaries, fuel, equipment, office cost, etc. No one donates anything to them. Can't expect to have municipal or country services donated to the property owner.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Spending more money for the same thing, to spite yourself, seem like the "right to choose foolishly.":upeyes:

On the other hand, nanny-staters like Brucev make me kind of see your point.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  10. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Jan 21, 2004
    Denver, CO
    If you have an HOA managing the properties where you reside, you most probably will find the answer to your question in the community bylaws. I am willing to bet that, if there is an HOA involved, you cannot subcontract outside of their choice.

11. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Hum... I thought zombies were only fictional characters in make believe movies.

12. BORNGEARHEAD

BORNGEARHEAD

Mar 3, 2010
    I can understand opting out. In some areas you can burn trash or maybe you only have 1 bag of trash/week and you can dispose of it in the dumpster at work.

13. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    Just put your trash in someone else's trash can the night before the trash is being picked up....

:whistling:

Cheap skates the lot of you!

:rofl:

14. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Jan 8, 2004
    What other municiple services beside trash hauling does your village provide? What is their source of income to provide those services?