close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Rifle Plates

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by SCSU74, Nov 12, 2011.

1. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    Looking to purchase a set of plates for my carrier that I use on higher risk calls. Just a regular patrol officer but I would like the added protection. Anyway I have it narrowed down to either international armor's level 3 titanium plate or max pro police's level 4 plate. Both are roughly the same price. Does anybody have experience with either? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. unit 900

unit 900

Sep 3, 2000
    Baltimore, Md
    Both look to be the same weight too. Level 3 plates are generally certified multi-hit. The NIJ requirement for a level 4 is to stop one 30-06 armor piercing round. Personally, I'd opt for a level 3 that is rated to stop multiple hits from the SS 109 5.56 penetrator round, a not uncommon threat. I see Protech Tactical has a 2120-5 Type III Rifle Plate that is 2 lbs lighter. Not sure if it is 'special threat" rated, or what the price is. I am years out of the game and may have the NIJ standards wrong, but would advise multi-hit capability and the ability to stop the SS109. Good luck.

3. dp509

dp509

Jul 20, 2007
    Interested Also, :supergrin:

Links, Pictures.............

4. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    i wasn't too sure about the difference between 3 and 4. Far as i can tell the 4 is only rated for 1 AP 30-06 like you stated. I would much rather have the multi-hit capability of the 3. There is a pretty awesome video of the IA plate taking multiple rounds. i'll link to it below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz7Xk37X82I

IA Plate:
    http://www.internationalbodyarmor.com/BodyArmor/HardArmor/TitaniumPlate/

Max Pro Plate:
    http://www.qmuniforms.com/Brands/MaxPro/MaxPro-Police-10-x-12-Ceramic-Plate-Level-IV.axd#tabs

5. rudeboy3

rudeboy3

Feb 19, 2011
    AZ
    When did rifle plates get so cheap? I always thought they were in the 600-800 range.

6. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    the ESAPI "mil-spec" plates are still that expensive, but there are a lot in the 200-300 range.

7. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    It was my understanding (and maybe I'm wrong) that level 4 plates were rated for everything that a level 3 can take, or 1 round of 30-06 AP. Obviously that doesn't mean you can shoot the 4 with a ton of .223 AP and then expect it to stop 30-06, rather that if it's rated to stop 1 round of 30-06, it'll stop multiple rounds of 5.56 also. Again, not an expert, but that was my understanding of it.

Edited for grammar.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011