close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

rifle ownership

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by userfriendly, Apr 29, 2008.

1. userfriendly

userfriendly
    Expand Collapse

Ano caliber ng rifles or carbine na legal to own sa Pinas? .22 lr lang ba o pwede ang .22 magnum, 9mm, .38, .357 etc..
    Yung no need for ammnesty.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. 3kings

3kings
    Expand Collapse
    SalingPusa

i think any rifle less than 50cal. so that includes among others the favorites 5.56, 7.62, etc.

amnesty by the way are for the loose f/a irregardless of caliber

3. Frontsight68

Frontsight68
    Expand Collapse

Strictly speaking its just rimfire rifles you could legally own in the Philippines

But it has been discretionary many times over in the past that it seems like it really depends on who is the Chief PNP and Chief FED and what their outlook on firearms are.

Frontsight

4. mikey177

mikey177
    Expand Collapse
    Remember

What about rifles that fire pistol calibers like 9mm or .357 Magnum? Can these be legally purchased by civilians without need of having to wait for an amnesty period?

5. 9MX

9MX
    Expand Collapse
    Rei!

actually,erap ammended that law by way of an EO. as long as the rifle is not anti-crew (whatever that means) or anti-tank, you can own it.

6. BrassKnuckle

BrassKnuckle
    Expand Collapse

Is this EO still in effect? If I remember right, select fire weapons were also not allowed for civilian ownership regardless of caliber.

Is there a provision that we can quote if a store insists that a particlar firearm is for law enforcement and military sales only?

7. 9MX

9MX
    Expand Collapse
    Rei!

Ibelieve it is still in effect. My Ar-15 is licensed and i have a valid PTT

What happened was GMA banned the issuing of PTCs and PTTs for HPRs after the roadrage shooting of a student in Makati and the assassination of Ex-Rep Henry Lanot in Pasig. What is ironic is that both incidents involved the use of a pistol.

8. darwin25

darwin25
    Expand Collapse
    Make your move

as long as not crew-served yata or anti-tank yun nasa provision

9. 9MX

9MX
    Expand Collapse
    Rei!

you may be right, pero ano din ang ibig sabihin ng crew-served?

10. CatsMeow

CatsMeow
    Expand Collapse

A crew-served weapon requires at least a two-man crew to be effective. Thus, Rambo notwithstanding, an M60 light machine gun, or any belt-fed light machine gun for that matter, requires not solely the gunner, but also an assistant gunner / loader / ammo bearer to keep the gun fed with belts while the gunner concentrates on shooting. Hard to be effective if the gunner also has to load the M60 when the belt runs out. Besides, the gunner can only carry so much belted 7.62. And when barrel-changing time comes, the gunner needs an extra set of hands. Such guns need crews, hence crew-served.

Look at any machine gun nest and see that the gunner is never alone. There are usually two more guys with him.

I also saw in YouTube a British Bren light machine gun being fired. While it is magazine-fed, somebody has to keep it supplied with fresh mags.

As such, we can rule out light and heavy machine guns, as well as the automatic grenade launcher we see on top of our armored vehicles.

As an aside, while the UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter may be flown by only one pilot, it needs two, plus the crew chief, to be most effective.

11. jimbullet

jimbullet
    Expand Collapse

I suppose one can own a 308 Win, which could be under club ownership.

12. 9MX

9MX
    Expand Collapse
    Rei!

catsmeow,

ty for the info!

13. gen1

gen1
    Expand Collapse

it civvys can own them, how come they only allow leos at the booths of HPRs during the SM gunshows ?

14. pipo

pipo
    Expand Collapse

I inquired at twin pines last year about their M14 and AK47. Said those were only for LEO, Military and LOcal governments????

15. 9MX

9MX
    Expand Collapse
    Rei!

i don't have an answer to that. but i have practiced with civilians with licensed ak-47s and m-14

16. Frontsight68

Frontsight68
    Expand Collapse

Because it really is very much discretionary regardless of whatever E.O. is in effect.

Congress will have to draft a new law for this situation to change. It is still the old law which is being used by the PNP as basis for their policies.

All the M14's or AK's that were allowed to be sold and licensed to civilians was thru a special consideration. Because when these high powered firearms first came in, the dealers were able to convince FED officials to allow civilians to purchase these, but when the leadership changed it was no longer allowed.

But if you have the right friends you can still get approval to buy these high powered firearms. Like I said, its discretionary.

Frontsight

17. 3kings

3kings
    Expand Collapse
    SalingPusa

kaya nga im always friendly :wavey: dami friends the happier di ba?

18. Frontsight68

Frontsight68
    Expand Collapse

i know i know....maybe we can all be friends and make everyone very happy:cool:

19. horge

horge
    Expand Collapse
    -=-=-=-=-
    Lifetime Member

:)

Last I heard...
    Subject to DG-PNP discretion, Filipino citizens meeting standard requirements
    can own ANY firearm short of light machineguns (LMGs), recoilless rifles, or
    crew-served weapons (CSW, think: howitzers, HMG's etc. which require a crew to operate)

The underlined part is key, and badly misunderstood by both the public and the PNP.
    It is important to know that PNP-FED cannot issue a circular or ordinance, re-setting everything
    to a nationwide limitation to (say) .22LR: Kasi, E.O. 194 s'2000 is still AFAIK current,
    and it obliterates all caliber restrictions up to the limits stated in the first paragraph above.

Even if PNP "case-to-case" denies every single schmuck who comes in to reg/license a
    new battle rifle (which efects a de facto nationwide limit) that's still different from them
    trying to presscon or decree some new "from here on, and for everyone" limit on caliber,
    before actual future applicants walk in to be "discretioned" to heck.

PNP has no power to amend current law,* and apparently once got smacked down for trying:
    A couple of years ago, PNP-FED tried to restrict firearm ownership to 10 guns per person
    for EVERYONE, announcing it on TV (T.S.I.P.) , etc... However, E.O. 164 s'1999
    specifically allows up to 15 sidearms and 6 rifles per legit Filipino,** or even more,
    subject to DG-PNP discretion. For the conflict with this E.O., the PNP's pretense at
    "legislative amendment" for a 10-firearm limitation did not prosper.

"DG-PNP discretion" in the above EO is clearly to serve only only to increase, but never decrease
    a Filipino's firearm privileges re: quantity of firearms permitted. PNP can deny someone outright,
    regardless of firearm type/quantity, as is its madate as implementing aency, but not before that
    person walks in through PNP-FED's doors to actually file an application.

Anyway...
    Are those E.O.'s (164 and 194) still current? I think so, since without them, we could be back
    to the Marcos era "only 1 handgun .38 cal and 1 rifle .22LR (or escopeta 12ga) each", which
    in turn would dry up FED-PNP's revenue stream.

However...
    Pres.GMA seems to have racked up quite a few internal ('secret') E.O.'s, given apparent
    gaps in the record that OOP/OPS is obligated to maintain. It is thus difficult to state which
    previous Presidential issuances have been amended or repealed.

h.

*PNP-FED can certainly advise firearm dealers not to even bother stocking HPR's over X caliber, because
    PNP-FED has no intentions of ever allowing a single one of those babies through to reg/licensing; and this is why
    a lot of gun stores often say this thing or that is illegal according to the PNP, but then cannot ever cite a legal document
    to back up their position.

**pendent on gun club membership, which is taken to be cause indicatory of participation in competitive sport shooting,
    the promotion which is the whole aim of EO 164. That other EO mentioned, EO 194, focuses individual and national security
    and sees a better-armed citizenry as the answer.

20. isuzu

isuzu
    Expand Collapse

I hope that civilians would eventually be allowed to own pistol-caliber carbines/rifles, PROVIDED they are ONLY in Semi-Auto mode and the firing mechanism CANNOT be converted into Select-Fire and/or Full-Auto mode.

There are nice pistol-caliber carbines/rifles such as the discontinued Ruger PCRs, M-1 Carbines which are now made by Thompson, and lever-type rifles which are offered by Marlin.